Author Topic: Adrienne's postie story  (Read 18733 times)

Keri

Re: Adrienne's postie story
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 09:43:48 pm »
Hi Adrienne,
So glad to hear from you! It's great that the nerve pain is gone. I think that the hearing / tinnitus will adjust and settle down with a bit of time.
I couldn't believe how little hair they shaved - that's great!
Most of all, I'm glad you're so upbeat and feeling happy and relieved with your good progress.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

GailN

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 06:09:19 am »
Your story is surely so encouraging to all who are W&W or preparing for surgery! I am now 3 1/2 weeks post-op and feeling pretty well except for headaches and head fullness which are both getting less as time goes on. The pics were great! Take care and continue to give yourself the gift of rest :)
2.7cm left AN
Translab surgery 5/09 by Dr House & Dr Schwartz, House Ear Institute
Successful facial nerve preservation
CSF leak, lumbar drain x 5 days
DVT post-hospital discharge, Coumadin
Headaches

moe

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 11:07:13 am »
Awesome, Adrienne!
I knew you would rock it. There will be little speed bumps and hurdles in your road of the AN life, but nothing you can't handle after this.
Keep the positive thoughts and take each day nice and slow while you can, ya hear?
Maureen
~ Just realized what a typo I typed- ya HEAR?
Uh no, actually you don't.
Sorry bout that, welcome to the SSD club :-[
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 11:18:58 am »
~ Just realized what a typo I typed- ya HEAR?
Uh no, actually you don't.
Sorry bout that, welcome to the SSD club :-[
Actually, I DO hear!!!  That's the most wonderful thing!  I HEAR!  Can't believe it, and don't know how long or if it will last, but I DO!  So happy!

Thanks for the notes everyone!  Still feeling pretty darn good.  Can't wait until the pressure, headaches, ringing and numbness get feeling better, but I know I have nothing to complain about, so I'll just sit quiet and enjoy what I have right at this very minute instead of rushing ahead.  Life is good!
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

moe

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 01:38:35 pm »
Yea, you can hear! I jumped to a conclusion there. :D
You had a nice size tumor there, so you are doing  great, and your good spirits will be contagious to all those who are expecting surgery soon.
Thanks Adrienne :D
Maureen

Vivian B.

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 08:44:55 pm »
Hi Adrienne,

I have been watching out for your post. I am so glad you are doing well. It will only get better from here on. By the way, your pictures are great.

Vivian.
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

cecile k

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 09:49:58 pm »
Hi Adrienne:

I also had my AN surgery at VGH by Dr. Durity (Dr. Akagami took over from him - I was Dr. Durity's last AN patient :-)!! So good to read that your surgery went so well! All the best.

Cecile
Chilliwack, BC

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 12:41:20 pm »
Hi Adrienne,
It's so fantastic that you actually hear! I'm so glad for you! For some reason I also wish I wake up in the morning and could hear with my right ear, but anyway I'll accept that it is like it is. I still consider myself to be a very lucky person. I came out of this surgery with very, very little issues. It is only the balance and the hearing and that's nothing in my opinion. Life is great! Tomorrow, it's time for summer vacation for all pupils in Sweden and it continues until 18th August and I will be with my class for an hour and then take a cup of coffee with my collegues. I'm so glad I can do this! I couldn't imagine pre-op that I would feel so good after only three weeks. I think I'm blessed!   :D

Hugs from Helene in Sweden  :)
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 08:59:58 pm »
Adrienne - so glad you are doing well.  I have been following you the whole time during my recovery.  You looked great in your photos.  Hopefully you felt a tad like you looked! 
I can actually feel my ear the past few days!  I was not sure it was mine at first :o)  Still feels weird to touch behind it.  How's your fullness/ringing?
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2009, 12:51:10 am »
Wow...not sure how i missed this other than I haven't been on the forum as much the last couple of weeks....nobody mentioned how busy the weeks leading up to surgery are... ;)

Amazing....hard to tell you had surgery...you look great. So happy for you that things went so well. You'll be back on the field before you know it.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 10:52:07 am »
Alicia-Thanks!  I read your update too,and I'm happy you've done so well, despite all the extra drama! LOL  Hope you continue to improve over the coming weeks. 

Helene-You sound so happy with your results too!  Glad everything went well for you!!

I have a lot of fullness still, but I can tell it is less so than the first couple of days after the surgery.  Feels like that ear is still 'plugged'.  The ringing is all day long.  Oddly, this isn't as bad as what I imagined all day ringing to be.  The ringing is new to me.  It's odd that even though it's there all the time, there are times I don't 'notice' it.  Never thought that would be possible.  I'm still hopeful that it will go away, but I'm not sure if that's naive or not (?).  It's been almost 3 weeks since the surgery and the ENT said that the ringing would definitely get better. Haven't noticed any improvement yet.....

The headaches are concerning me though.  I've had 2 1/2 days straight of headaches with no relief.  I'm just on Tylenol 3 right now, but it's not working (?).  I only have 3 more days of T3 left and then I'll need something else.  For those that have ongoing headaches, are you on prescription drugs or over the counter drugs?  Not sure if I should be going to my GP for a prescription or not...(?).  I don't have my follow up with the neurosurgeon for another 4 weeks, and I'll need something in the meantime!
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 11:15:21 am »
nobody mentioned how busy the weeks leading up to surgery are

I'm sure you've been frantically cleaning like the rest of us pre-op, Bob.   ;)

I was fortunate to have no headache issues post-op, but I noticed yesterday that my tinnitus seemed a little less annoying.  Of course, today it is back full-on.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 11:41:57 am »
Adrienne,

A few of us on the forum take neurontin.  My family dr did not want to prescribe anything but T-3's.  All they did was upset my stomach something terrible.  I think you might need to see the ENT.

Wishing you luck, and I am so sorry you are suffering.
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

moe

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2009, 05:39:43 pm »
Adrienne,
Sorry to hear about the headaches that don't respond to the t3's. Out of curiosity, is it the same type of trigeminal pain  from before surgery, or is it different?
Hopefully you can get a handle on it.
Praying for relief. Otherwise, looking good! Glad the fullness is subsiding a bit, and the tinnitus isn't as noticeable at times.
Still give it lots of time.
Rest, rest, walk, rest, eat, etc.
Maureen

kma

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 10:07:52 am »
Adrienne~

I had tons of bad headaches too after my surgery and I took all the pain meds.  I know it sounds a little corny, but I really felt like massage helped my headaches a TON!  First, I went to a massage therapist AT THE HOSPITAL ~ they are trained to deal with surgical patients and they know their stuff ~ not like your "normal" massage places.  They dealt with my head and neck and incision and it really worked.  Now, I do a little "massage" of my own at home.  My husband does my neck and shoulders and I do my head and incision.  I use vitamin E oil on my incision and it really helps loosen things up. 

Wishing you relief and sending all good thoughts your way.

~Kathy : )
Retrosigmoid on 02-06-09 by Dr. LaRouere (Michigan Ear Institute) and Dr. Pieper.  Perfect hearing, perfect balance, no tinnitus and no headaches before surgery.  Right SSD, loud tinnitus and crazy headaches after surgery.  BAHA surgery 07-29-09 ~ still working on tune-ups...don't love it ~ YET!!