Author Topic: Waiting for Surgery - Supporting my wife  (Read 16988 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Waiting for Surgery - Supporting my wife
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 03:37:19 pm »
Bryan -

speaking of iPods, you should look into getting Pam a mono plug and a single ear earplug @ a place like Amazon.com or Radio Shack.  Usual cost for the two items is less than $10. 

The translab approach will leave her SSD, and the mono plug will enable her to hear stereo sound from her iPod.  Here's a link http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102690&tab=summary

I've had my mono plug and single ear plug for almost 2 years now and it's definitely a wise investment.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 07:29:54 pm »
Hi Bryan and Pam,
I used to live in Texas as well - grew up in Corpus Christi, lived a short while in Houston, college in Nacogdoches, then Dallas.
I think you've gotten great feedback from everyone. I had translab 4 1/2 months ago. I had / have facial paralysis, but it's gotten much better, not as noticeable as it once was.  I'm SSD, of course and some tinnitus, but better than pre-surgery (the hearing takes a while to settle into something stable - to me it always seemed to be chaning at first, even now a bit).  You're out of it the first few days; I also had headaches at first. I started feeling better after a few weeks; fatigue does stay with you but gets better too. Time flies and I feel pretty well adjusted now. I've learned a lot through this experience and much of it is good. Regarding activities - I'm now running about as much as I ever was.

I'm glad you have your mom in law coming. I know when I got home from the hospital, just the fact I was home made me feel like I should be doing stuff - laundry, etc. I have three kids too but they're older. So having mom make you rest is a good thing!

We wish you the best and please keep us updated. Can we put the surgery on the AN calendar?

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

bsharpintexas

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 02:02:23 pm »
Hi guys! Thought I would give you an update. We had our pre-op yesterday and looks like we are ready to go for surgery on Monday (6/15). We have to be there at 5:30am! Yikes! We usually get up around 5:00 anyway so I guess it won't be that bad.

In other news, we have had some bad luck with our dogs lately. I had to bring two of them to the vet on Monday. Turns out my dog Otis (Border Collie/Lab) mix has prostate cancer! Our other dog Sophie (Lab / Chow) was unable to walk. They said she had Geriatric Vestibular Syndrome, so no balance. Talk about irony! Unfortunatley, I had to have Otis put to sleep today. It looks like Sophie will be ok as her brain compensates (I guess we all know about that). All this was tough on the kids considering everything else going on but I think they will be ok.

I know the dog stuff isn't exactly related to this forum except for the extra stress. I hope you guys don't mind me sharing.

Thanks,
Bryan

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 02:18:28 pm »
Bryan .....

Sure the dog stuff is related to this Forum, when it affects the family of one of us!!!  ..... and vestibular problems for Sophie ..... what a weird coincidence.  Maybe Sophie is having sympathetic symptoms.   :-\  I'm sure this additional stress is hard on the kids but maybe it will also divert a little of their anxiety.

Well, the week-end will likely fly by for you and soon Pam will be on the recovery side of this journey.

My thoughts and prayers continue.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 02:34:00 pm »
Hi Bryan,

A few years ago, I started a thread in AN Community about our "Staunchest Supporters" (see this link:  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=1987.0) and just how much our "family" members mean to us.....and you will see that the 4-legged family members are just as key to many here.. as well as actually helping post-treatment (you will read about it in the thread).  My deepest condolences to you all for Otis' loss.. and sending wellness wishes for Sophie (ironic, eh?)... and most of all... sending prayers and wishes during this time... and wellness wishes for Pam with her treatment coming up.

Hang in there....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 02:35:49 pm »
Bryan~
Someone else...oh what is his name - I can see his picture - Sam Rush, I think...had a dog not long ago that had some sort of brain tumor.  Very sad...something that you didn't need to have to deal with right now!  Glad the pre-op stuff went well...were  you able to get some questions answered??  Got you down for prayers on Monday (& up until and after then too)!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 08:21:03 pm »
Someone else...oh what is his name - I can see his picture - Sam Rush, I think...had a dog not long ago that had some sort of brain tumor.  

Kay is right.  I believe Dr. Sam's dog actually had an AN - just like Sam himself.  What are the odds  ???

Surgery scheduled for Monday?  Wow, that was fast.  I hope things go very well for Pam.  Will you be updating us, Bryan?

Please give Pam my best wishes and tell her she'll be in my prayers.

Make sure you take care of yourself during Pam's surgery and recovery.  Surgery is oftentimes hard on the caregivers, as well as the patient.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

bsharpintexas

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 01:30:39 pm »
Thanks for the support guys! I will keep you up to date. Hopefully you will hear from me by Monday or Tuesday. Fingers crossed and away we go!  :-\

Bryan

bsharpintexas

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 06:40:46 am »
Well, Pam went to the OR about 15 minutes ago. Spirits are high. Everything OK so far. Nurse has my cell phone. I'll try to keep you guys up to date.

Thanks,
Bryan

Kaybo

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 06:43:17 am »
Bryan~
I was just thinking about you guys & saying a quick prayer for you.  Is anyone with you?  Is your neighbor still coming with lunch?  Is the number I called you on the other day your cell?  So many questions...hope everything goes well and that today is not too terribly long for you!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

bsharpintexas

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 07:03:30 am »
K,

Good to hear from you! Yes, my neighbor is still coming for breakfast and lunch. You can reach me on the same number (it's my cell).

Thx,
Bryan

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 07:05:46 am »
Bryan .....

Just letting you know I am keeping both you and Pam in my prayers today!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 07:08:02 am »
Bryan~
Good...I just hated the thought of you sitting there all day by yourself!  I will try to call or text later...

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2009, 04:26:42 pm »
Bryan - Anxiously waiting to hear your wife's ok.  My thoughts are with you both!  Alicia
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

bsharpintexas

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2009, 06:44:16 pm »
Still waiting on Pam. It has been about 11 hours now. The nurse has called every couple hours and said everything was ok. Her last update was about an hour ago and she said it would be another 2 hours. So I might have about an hour left. We will see.