Author Topic: Waiting for Surgery - Supporting my wife  (Read 16986 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Waiting for Surgery - Supporting my wife
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2009, 12:22:45 pm »
Hi Bryan -

I am just getting caught up on events with you and Pam - wow, hasn't been a smooth ride, has it?  Hopefully the CSF leak has been corrected by now - what a crummy thing to happen!

I'll echo what Lori and several others have said about the facial weakness - no one can really predict how long or how much it will improve.  I was initially told "about 5 months" and it's been about 14 - but I have come from a nearly 6-grade facial paralysis to somewhere between 2 and 1, so it's all good.

If the docs didn't talk to you and Pam about caring for her eye, make sure that you are keeping it moist.  You'll find lots of good info on the eye-care section of this forum, including a video I recently posted (eye care video).  I think most would agree with me that eye care is the biggest pain in the rear, but it does get easier. 

Prayers and hugs to you and Pam.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

cecile k

« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2009, 09:17:03 pm »
Hi Bryan:

Just checked this board after being off for quite a while. You are a wonderful support to your wife - it makes all the difference for her so keep it up :-) I had my surgery seven years ago when our boys were 4, 7, 10, 12, and 14 years old so it was quite a juggling act for my hubby as well but he was wonderful.

When Pam comes homes from the hospital, don't be afraid to accept any offers of help in the way of meals/cleaning etc. She is going to need a lot of rest and you will be exhausted just focusing on her well being and keeping the kids occupied.

Hugs to you and Pam....knowing what you are going through and you WILL get through this....one day at a time...

Cecile

Keri

« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2009, 09:39:35 pm »
Wow, Cecile, what a crew! Good advice! I know when I came home from the hospital, it was good to be home but I felt like 'ok, now i need to do some laundry.' Sometimes it's hard to slow down, esp with little kids who don't quite understand. I hope she takes it easy and does get lots of rest. I'm sure your family is so happy to have Pam home!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

bsharpintexas

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2009, 10:28:37 am »
Thanks, guys!

FYI - The updates on Pam have been moved over to Post Treatment under the "bsharpintexas Recovery Thread" if you would like to see how she is doing now.  :)

heidi g

• adventures of addy, amelia, & griswold
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2009, 09:44:13 am »
hello there!
how is your wife doing?!! i'm not sure if you've returned here since her surgery a few weeks ago...i have a surgery scheduled in late july, so i'm just perusing the forum for info :o)

how are your kids doing with this, especially the youngest? (i have a 2 1/2 & 10 month old girls).

surgery performed on july 28, 2009 at the Ohio State University Medical Center by Dr. B. Welling & Dr. McGregor.
As of 8/10/09, left side numbness (comes & goes), lost maybe partial hearing in AN ear, LOUD tinnitus, but walking & balance is going very well.

bsharpintexas

« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2009, 11:04:53 am »
Heidi,

Pam is doing great. The updates on her have been moved over to Post Treatment under the "bsharpintexas Recovery Thread".

The kids are doing well. We have a 12 yr old girl, 6 yr old boy, and a 21 month old girl. The 12 yr old has been the most stressed but has handled things pretty well. She has helped around the house a lot. The 6 yr old is pretty laid back and is ok. The 21 month old missed Mom while she was gone for a week but is fine now that she is back in the house.

Pam's Mom has been staying with us to help out and was taking care of the kids while we were in the hospital. It helps to have some family helping out. Especially if the kids are comfortable around them.

Good luck with your surgery. Let us know if you have any questions.

Bryan