Author Topic: need advice  (Read 2629 times)

TxNurseNoelle

need advice
« on: June 03, 2009, 12:18:15 pm »
Hi to all my fellow AN'ers I need some advice...I have an apt on Tuesday with the Neurosurgeon who will be assisting the Neurotologist if I decide to go ahead with the surgery, and I need some advice on what questions to ask when I go, I want to make sure I cover all the bases so I can make an informed decision. I really appreciate knowing I have someone to ask who has been there and understands how I feel. Hugs to all....

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: need advice
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 12:45:59 pm »
Hi Noelle

Ok, try this thread:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=53.msg266#msg266

KateB, back in 2005, put together a terrific list of questions to bring to the doc. I used this list as well as I began my decision making process. Now, granted, a little has changed since 2005 but this list is a terrific tool to help you out.

Good luck at your appt and pls keep us updated.

Phyl

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 01:37:00 pm »
Noelle~
I was going to tell you that there was a thread out there somewhere that had that info so I am glad that Phyl was able to supply it.  Feel free to call me if you need to!  Do you still have my number?  If not, PM me, OK?

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jeepers

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 03:08:06 pm »
Hi TxNN ...

Kate's list is very helpful and pretty much covers all the bases. I just recently met with the neurosurgeon who would be assisting, so I had already asked Kate's list of questions to the neurotologist (and had also gone thru this many yrs back when first diagnosed). I did select a few questions that I also asked the neurosurgeon, but ended up getting more information from what he told me than what I asked him ... so you might want to inquire as to how many ANs he's assisted/over what period of time; get him to tell you about the hospital you will be at - my neurosurg talked about what a fine facility it was, how they've provided all the high-end equipment they've needed and asked for over the years; he mentioned that the surgical support staff and post-op were very dedicated and conscientious.

I found my neurosurgeon to be much more focused on surgery being the [very] best option so his information was very one-sided. My take on that is that your neurotologist is the one who can more fairly present the benefits/risks of surg vs. rad. I therefore did not expect a totally impartial meeting with the neurosurg and that was fine.

Good luck!
Diagnosed 2003-right side-1cm AN
Wait and watch for 6 yrs; 2009 showed growth w/balance issues
Translab 7/9/09 - Drs. Battista/Kazan (Hinsdale IL); SSD
Recovering well!

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 08:38:46 pm »
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=53.msg266#msg266

KateB, back in 2005, put together a terrific list of questions to bring to the doc. I used this list as well as I began my decision making process. Now, granted, a little has changed since 2005 but this list is a terrific tool to help you out.
Phyl

Kate's list is very helpful and pretty much covers all the bases. I just recently met with the neurosurgeon who would be assisting, so I had already asked Kate's list of questions to the neurotologist (and had also gone thru this many yrs back when first diagnosed).

blushing...Seriously I am glad that the question list is helpful:-)
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/