Author Topic: Vestibular Testing  (Read 3702 times)

Vivian B.

Vestibular Testing
« on: June 01, 2009, 12:28:45 pm »
Hello Everybody,

I had a Vestibular test done this morning. The technician told me that I had lost 49% of my balance in my AN ear. I also have 30% hear loss in the same ear high pitch and speech discrepancy. She said that eventually the balance nerve will die altogether gradually with treatment or without, but my left ear should compensate for the right ear which is supposedly what it is doing now. She asked me if I had neck pain and I told her I did and I thought that it was due to a protruded cervical disc which was found on my MRI. When I asked her if the neck pain is related to the AN she said "no". My question is why did she ask me if I had neck pain. Did she see something to indicate this during the test? Should I be concerned? She also said the surgeon would interpret the results but she already gave me the balance results? Are there any other things that are checked out during the Vestibular test? I don't  have any upcoming appts. until I have my MRI in September and then I will see the Neurosurgeon also in September. Should I see somebody sooner? Anyway, your thoughts would help. Thanks.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Vestibular Testing
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 02:38:22 pm »
Vivian,
  Just a guess, but perhaps they asked you about neck pain from observing your neck posture.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Vivian B.

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 03:07:40 pm »
Hi Rob,

Actually my mother came in with me and that's exactly what she thought. However, being a little bit more paranoid these days than usual with this whole thing, I automatically assume that maybe it's something else that couldn't be discussed at the time, who knows, but thanks for taking the time to reply. I feel better that so far I have the opinion of two people that are the same.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 08:37:12 pm »
Vivian:

Just another guess, but maybe she was thinking about whether surgery would be a good option for you or not, since many people who have had surgical resection of their tumors complain about temporary neck pain and/or stiffness following surgery (from having their head held in one posture for many hours). Again, just a guess. I wouldn't worry about it. There is no direct relationship between having an AN and neck pain.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Vivian B.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 08:13:53 am »
Hi Tumbleweed,

Thanks for your reply. I guess maybe it's nothing. I'll just wait until I see the Neuro and his recommendations as there is nothing they can do in any case until my next MRI.

Vivian

russcape

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 12:56:50 pm »
Hi Vivian;

I had thought neck pain/stiffness was a rather common thing among those with a vestibular loss? They are unconsciously tightening the neck muscles in attempt to hold the head still to reduce motion.

Maybe this is why you were asked about having neck pain? A "yes" may indicate to the therapist the degree to which the pt. is attempting to correct for motion intolerance?

Vivian B.

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 06:56:01 pm »
Hi Russcape,

Sorry I am replying late. I think you may be right. It makes so much more sense now as I used to get extreme tightness in the neck making it difficult to hold head up could have all been related to the AN that I didn't even know I had.

Thanks

Vivian