Author Topic: 1 month since GK...update...  (Read 5507 times)

tatianne

1 month since GK...update...
« on: June 01, 2009, 10:27:29 am »
this week it will be one month since my GK treatment and I have to report that life has pretty much returned to normal for me...
aside for some on going fatigue, Im feeling quite well. Hearing, tinnitus remain stable and no more hives..lol
The pin holes have healed, once in a while I get an achey feeling around this area but thats about it. I have very fair skin so its still reddish scar like area, especially on one side where the hole seemed to be bigger then the other side. Im going to try some cream to help with that.
Here's hoping to continued stability and improvement.....
I hope your all doing well
T
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Re: 1 month since GK...update...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 10:32:29 am »
Hello fellow "Zapper"  Glad to hear your post GK is going well...  :)

GM
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Vivian B.

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 12:31:26 pm »
Hi Tatianne,

I am so glad you are doing well and to hear that symptoms remain stable. It's good to hear news like that specially when you are considering the same treatment. Mine will also be done in Canada. Did you have any loss of balance prior to the GK and was it any different after? Thanks for keeping us updated.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 02:30:11 pm »
Tatianne  ~

Thanks for the update - and congratulations on your successful recovery!  Its always encouraging to read about a 'postie-toastie' who is doing well and moving on with her life.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 02:43:13 pm »
Congratulations on your one month mark.  I am a little over seven months post GK, and I am doing well.  Best Wishes.

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Vivian B.

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 02:45:32 pm »
Hi Jim,

I think I finally get what "postie-toastie" means. I kept on seeing it on some post and wondering what is that? Maybe my AN is affecting my thought process or something. At first I couldn't even figure out what SSD meant? I don't always get things right away. It takes awhile.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 03:02:52 pm »
Hi Jim,

I think I finally get what "postie-toastie" means. I kept on seeing it on some post and wondering what is that? Maybe my AN is affecting my thought process or something. At first I couldn't even figure out what SSD meant? I don't always get things right away. It takes awhile.

Vivian

:)

get zapped, AN becomes "toast"... "post" treatment  :) 

Hi Tatianne! So great to hear your update and thanks for sharing this with us! Important for us to know how you (and everyone) does after the fact as a way to help others who may be researching GK or other treatment options.

You KNOW I send the healing hugglez... and please continue to keep us updated!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mk

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 06:41:22 pm »
Hi Tatianne,

I am glad to hear that you are doing so well (you too Nancy!).

My pin-hole scar on the left side due to the frame lasted for about 3 months, then it disappeared magically.

All the best,
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

tatianne

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 06:35:00 am »
I love you guys, really, like my son says, your the best !

Vivian I didnt have much problems in regards to balance...the only times Ive really noticed is in the dark and while I was dancing trying to do footloose...lol  I just couldnt do it ! Balance it still the same as before treatment at this point. I will keep you posted. Please if you have any questions about this treatment or anything at all, contact me through PM here...and any one else who would like to exchange information please dont hesitate.
Marianna, did you find one of your pin holes was larger then the other ? Im glad to hear you have no scar from this and it all went away.

Phyl and everyone, thanks for all the positive vibes and I will continue to give a monthly update until my MRI in November.
God Bless you all, with God all in possible.
T

hey T!  Folks can PM you here to get your internet email :)  I'm really looking forward to the updates... those positive vibes continue! :) Phyl
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 07:39:01 am by ppearl214 »
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

mk

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 06:29:25 pm »
Tatianne,

The left side pinhole (non AN side) gave me problems right from the moment of the frame placement. It hurt a lot, that's why they had to freeze it more. When they removed the frame it bled. So it is no surprise that it left a bigger scar (the pinhole on the other side disappeared within days) and felt much more sensitive. But it did disappear completely eventually. In any case, I considered this so minor that it wasn't even worth worrying about.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 05:19:13 pm »
Regarding those pin sites.  I didn't have any problems....not even any bleeding.  However, if I push really hard at the pin sites, I can feel some tenderness.  I take it as a reality check that I actually had GK when I push on them.  I'm not a compulsive "pusher", though!  Maybe that tenderness will go away in time. but if not, no big deal!  The most important thing is that nothing major comes up now or down the road.  And, I think radiation for the most part has positive outcomes.

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs