Author Topic: remeron  (Read 7465 times)

ernie h

remeron
« on: June 30, 2009, 01:32:58 pm »
has anyone had experience with remeron for sleep/depression etc.i've been on 7.5 mg for a few weeks.it helps my sleep.but hasn't improved my mood (yet).i know it's early.but something is making my tinnitus in my bad ear worse.maybe it's this.doctor doesn't have an answer for sure.looks like any of these medicines can cause about anything to happen.esp to different people.i'm almost 2 yr's post op.still having bal issues depression etc.any input would be appreciated.
ernie.r side ana removed aug 07 by dr peter black and doctor quinton gopen.brigham and womens hosp boston mass.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: remeron
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 03:04:10 pm »
Ernie ~

I'm not a doctor and I've never taken Remeron so I can't speak from personal experience but I do know that just about every prescription medication for sleep and/or depression will have some side-effects.  I've read that Remeron can initially induce over-eating and subsequent weight gain as one of it's side-effects.  I believe that this kind of drug needs time to take effect, especially on your mood.  I would give it a bit more time to work but as often happens, your doctor may have to 'experiment' with various medications at varying levels to find one that offers you good sleep without negative side effects and that can alter your mood, somewhat.  The tinnitus may be affected by weather (barometric conditions) or, possibly, medication.  Ask your doctor.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

goinbatty

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 07:28:15 am »
My father started taking Remeron for sleep but hasn't been on it long enough to tell if it's changed his mood. 
Found this on the internet:
http://www.rxlist.com/remeron-drug.htm
Special Senses
infrequent: eye pain, abnormality of accommodation, conjunctivitis, deafness, keratoconjunctivitis, lacrimation disorder, glaucoma, hyperacusis, ear pain; rare: blepharitis, partial transitory deafness, otitis media, taste loss, parosmia

With hyperacusis being listed, even though as an infrequent side effect, I would recommend talking to your doc about it. 
Take care,
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

Patti

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 05:44:59 pm »
I struggle with sleep.  Remeron worked better than anything but I gained 10 pounds, which is unacceptable for me.  I now take seroquel (25mg).  It works well, though not as great as remeron.  I have only gained a few pounds.  I also take lexapro in the morning for depression.  Good luck.  Let me know if I can help.  Patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

cin605

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 08:21:59 am »
Abnormality of Accomodation???????? ???I think i have that! ;D
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

cin605

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 03:20:03 pm »
I also struggle w/ sleep n am now sleeping like a bay w/ help of amnitripline n lorazepam i sleep through usually.I used to wake every 1/2 hour to an hour never really getting a good stretch of sleep.My mood is improving also but i admit i have gained a few pounds.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 05:15:34 pm »
HI All,
  I take 25 mg of Trazadone for sleep.  Unlike some of the other sleep drugs on the market it is not habit forming, although I do know I can build up a tollerance and need a larger dose sometimes.  I can take it every day for months and then just stop. No side effects at all , no hangover feeling the next day.  It is a drug they used to use as a antidepressent years ago in very high doses.  This small dose works great to help me fall back asleep when I wake in the night. (used to be kept awake from the tinnitus)

The best part,  $4.00 at Wallmart for 30 100mg tabe, that I cut into 4 peices.  Cheaper than my daily OTC's for head pain.

Patti,  please be carefull with the Seroquiel.  I researched it when they put my stepdad on it.  Many law suits, and some neg side effects (halucinations) I don't think you want to be on it for very long.

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

ernie h

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 07:21:12 am »
hi and thanks to all for your input.i've had to stop taking the remeron.i found out that at lower doses it makes you sleep deeper and at higher doses it's a stronger anti-depressant.phys doctor said most people start at about 30 mg.even at thirty sleep was good but even after taking it for obne night the tinnitus in my deaf rear was unbearable.abnd it lasts about 4-5 days after.i've recently been put on lexapro several weeks ago for my depression and anxiety.up tp 30 mg in the morning but as i told the dr seems to make my anxiety worse.she said it shouldn't.oh boy. i assume it works differently with different people. getting a good phsy doctor with my ins plan has been a real challenge. thanks again to all your input and suggestions ernie h.
ernie.r side ana removed aug 07 by dr peter black and doctor quinton gopen.brigham and womens hosp boston mass.