Author Topic: Panic attacks  (Read 4371 times)

lauralynn

Panic attacks
« on: May 29, 2009, 01:16:15 pm »
 Hello everyone.  Just popping in quick to  ck on Teff's progress and to give a quick update on my post op progress.  My energy level is still super low and I still don't have much of an apetite.  I had an MRI appt this past Wed. and I had no problems with my pre op MRi's but Wed. as soon as they put me in the tube I had a panic attack.  I have never been so scared in my life!  It was awful!  Did anyone else have panic attacks post op?  I have to go for another MRI this Saturday and they are going to give me valuum or some medication to relax me.  Not sure if that will work.  I just found out recently that my boyfriend has to be transferred for his job to another state and I'm so sad about that.  I'm just very sad and depressed and I don't know what to do to get my spirits up.  Thanks for listening.
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Panic attacks
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 02:00:42 pm »
lauralynn,

so great to see you back posting... you "postie!" :)

Ya know, sometimes I have panic attacks driving a good distance in my car. Don't know why, but mostly happens since many of my medical diagnoses.  Not sure, if in all honesty, it it a deep rooted fear of something medically happening to my while I'm driving or what.  Not sure... but, I do know that when it hits... I try to do some deep breathing exercises... and put my mental focus on something else (ie: I'll turn up the music in my car and sing along... oh, trust me, not a pretty sound once I join in).....

I know things are difficult right now, with all you have shared... .but, you also know that we are still here cheering you on. Please hang in there.. and keep us updated on how you are doing.

No need for "thanks for listening"... that's why we're here! :) 

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 03:02:53 pm »
Lauralynn ~

Feel free to vent, anytime, without apology .  AN patients have that right, here, and those who've been through a similar experience empathize with you.

I'm a bit troubled by the fact that you're feeling down and having 'issues' with the 'Tube-O-Gloom' (MRI).  I don't have any clever ideas as to how you can overcome this fear but drugs seem to work for most.  Try not to let it overwhelm you.  I know, easy for me to say...but I believe that as individuals we have the ability to manipulate our attitude to help strengthen or defeat us.  I hope you can find it within you to overcome your panic and get through your next MRI. 

The fact that your boyfriend is relocating out of state is certainly a downer, and probably part of the reason for your melancholy, along with the reality of being just 6 weeks post-op and physically weakened.  The AN surgical experience can be emotionally draining and the fact that you're dealing with various other stresses as well probably amplifies your negative feelings.   

Prayers will be said for you, which should be encouraging.  It always is to me. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 05:47:24 pm »
Lauralynn ....

Being a little claustrophobic myself, I always dread the upcoming MRIs.  Some imaging centers will let you choose music to listen to ..... you might ask about it.  I'm sure someone has already told you to close your eyes before they move the table and do not open them until you are back out.  Here's hoping the Valium will do the trick tomorrow.

It sounds like you are having much to deal with right now in addition to the AN so that would naturally increase your emotional threshold.  Think pleasant thoughts, happy memories, beautiful scenic places, etc.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Vivian B.

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 08:54:35 pm »
Hi Lauralynn,

I have learnt one thing over the years and through different experiences, just take one day at a time and try not to get overwhelmed. Sometimes too many things happen at the same time and this will have an affect emotionally resulting in panic attacks. I am also hoping that the meds will work for me on my next MRI. Think good thoughts! Keep well.

Viviani
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

suboo73

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 07:39:00 am »
Hi Lauralynn,

I have learnt one thing over the years and through different experiences, just take one day at a time and try not to get overwhelmed. Sometimes too many things happen at the same time and this will have an affect emotionally resulting in panic attacks. I am also hoping that the meds will work for me on my next MRI. Think good thoughts! Keep well.

Viviani

Hi Lauralynn, 

For me personally, i think more and more in that 'one day at a time' mode, as Vivian talks about about, i suppose so that i feel more in control of my situation.
I am somewhat claustrophobic too - but so far i have made it thru 2 MRI's ok (but i didn't like the last one very much.) 
I didn't want to hear the loud banging noises, so when i had the first MRI, the tech put towels/cloth all around my head and i felt secure - since they didn't have headphones. 
The 2nd time, i just had headphones, and it was too loud.

Although i don't like to take medications, i would do it if i had to, just to get the MRI done.  I have had valium for other tests and it wasn't a huge deal.

I hope you find a way to overcome this - i have also heard that deep breathing can help.

Best thoughts to you in the coming test days.

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W