Author Topic: suboccipital approach  (Read 4824 times)

LBM

suboccipital approach
« on: April 19, 2005, 01:44:06 pm »
Hi,
I am a 30 year old female recently diagnosed with a 3 cm acoustic neuroma and am scheduled to have surgery in NYC with a suboccipital approach. Has anyone had this approach and what were your results. I appreciate any information.
Thanks,
Lauren

Pembo

Re: suboccipital approach
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 07:43:41 am »
I had suboccipital on June 3, 2004. I have no headaches. I did have a very large tumor, 4cm, so I am recovering from facial paralysis. Hair was shaved underneath and you could hardly tell. It just looked uneven. I had my stylist layer my hair and it looked better. I'm only 36 so vanity is an issue. :)
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

MikeC

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 11:24:55 am »
I had three suboccipital approach surgeries 1979-1980 for an 8+ cm tumor. Back in those days vanity, as well as post operative patient concern, did not seem an issue ... if you survived, you were considered a "winner" ... So much has changed in 30 years. Well not ment to worry you, but back then the surgeon (I'm male) had the back half of my hair shaved off. At the time I asked the nurse to shave it all off ... she responded she couldn't do that because the surgeon had only ordered the back half to be shaved. I had two 20 hour surgeries ten days apart. As I recall the surgeon described the tumor as a large baked potato stuck to and entwined with the nerve bundle and brain stem. He said he sliced the tumor, much like slicing a baked potato and then plucked out bits of tumor (much like removing all the "white meat" from within the baked potato, using a microscope and tweezers) until he had only the outer skin remaing. He then rolled up the now empty skin and removed it. It was the entanglement with 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th nerves, along with embedding in the brain stem, that resulted in destruction, or damage to same and resulting post operative consequences and more neurosurgery ... In my local support group there are folks that had a 1 cm tumor with the suboccital approach that came out not even have facial nerve impact problems, balance problems, or eye problems ... amazing.

You did not say how large your tumor was indicated to be. Size of tumor seems to be an important factor ... I guess size does count.  :-\

bonehead

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 10:44:39 am »
Lauren,

I also had suboccipital removal of a 2.0cm AN in NYC.  It's almost too much to write about here, so feel free to contact me via the email address linked to my ID here and I can put you on to my web page that described the surgery in detail or answer any questions.

Jon
2.0 cm removed via retrosigmoid 4/7/2004
Dr. Sisti and Dr. Wazen
Columbia Presbyterian, NYC

rheab

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 10:35:12 am »
Hello, Lauren. I'm four years post op from having suboccipital approach for almost 4cm AN. Tumor was attached to all the nerves and was pressing on the brain stem, but I did very well. Tumor was larger than expected, so they had to remove more skull than planned. My "defect", as the doctor calls it, is about 3" in length. Had great surgeons. No facial weakness, no eye problems. Surgery lasted six hours. No spinal fluid leaks, etc. that you read about. Have recently been having extra noise in my year, and feelings of fullness, and some dizziness. Doc says it's the muscle in there that was disturbed in surgery. I take muscle relaxers and it helps. You will probably experience double vision for a couple of weeks after surgery. I did. Was very wobbly, and used a cane for walking. Was up and out of bed the morning after surgery-wasn't what I particularly wanted to do, but was best for me. Went home on day 3. Developed hypertension after surgery and still take medications-BP is now in normal range. Had difficulty holding my head up for a few weeks after surgery-due to the muscle being cut into. After a few months, I developed strange headaches w/"bouncing" shooting pains in the back of my head that lasted about three weeks. Was assured that it was probably just the nerves growing back. They went away as quickly as they came. Still have a weird time blowing my nose-makes my lip on the side of the surgery flap like a horse's lip when it whinnys! I do have some itchy scalp issues-again, from nerves.Wasn't working at the time of surgery, so going back to work wasn't an issue. Was able to resume housework and driving in about 4 weeks. I do have an area on my tongue that has no feeling on the side of the surgery, and the areas on either side of the non-feeling area are extremely sensitive! Can be really wieird with things like cinnamon gum, etc. I really cannot complain about anything debilitating. Had the BAHA implant a year ago. If you do that, make sure the surgeon puts the screws more than 1/2 inch away from your scar. I had difficulty healing  because there wasn't enought blood supply where the implant was put. However, healed well and absolutely love the BAHA. Just take it easy. If you have someone to do things for you for a few weeks while you get back on your feet, you will do fine. Don't rush getting well, but don't take too long, either. I'll keep you in my prayers!

odirish

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 09:15:22 am »
Can I ask what a BAHA implant is? I had my surgery 10 years ago. I lost my hearing and I have facial paralysis (which I hate). My plastic surgeon did a cheek implant to make my face look more even. That was about 4 or 5 years ago and should be done again. I have problems with my eye. I have a gold weight in my upper lid. I had alot of problems with my recovery. I had a spinal fluid leak, i was in the hospital for 11 days and off work for 11 months. I couldn't drive for 6 months due to balance problems and depth perception. Do any of you ever worry about it growing back or worry that it may occur in the other ear? That terrifies me.

Mary Ann