Author Topic: question about synkinesis and exercises  (Read 18107 times)

rahul_india

Re: question about synkinesis and exercises
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 05:56:38 pm »
Hi 4cm in Pacific Northwest

Sir/Mam

I am from India and my life has become hell since i suffered Bells palsy last year October. I recovered in 2 months and it felt as if I am cured but issues started two months ago. My left side face started twitching especially in the eyes and after that I see synkenisis in my face. When I pout or try to move my lips outward my eyes closes. Eyes also closes when moving that side of Face.

To be precise I dont have  that much money to travel abroad and get my self treated. Can you all or any one of you please help me how to start with those retraining exercises. I missed my chance for the army and also for many other competitive exams also. I have missed so many things in my life because of this. Kindly help me how to retrain my muscles. How to perform these exercises. We dont have any good physiotherapists over here as well.

Kristena

Re: question about synkinesis and exercises
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 01:38:04 pm »
Hi Rahul,

Those posts were from a long time ago, and I'm not sure if they are still active on this site or not. I'd be curious to hear how they have progressed in the past several years.

I too have facial paralysis. Some of my muscles starting coming back very slowly at about 4 mos post op, and it was another couple months later that the synkinesis started--everywhere. I am lucky enough to be working with a facial therapist and have access to Botox, but it's still been a very slow and frustrating process.

But I recently came across the Bells Palsy Retraining website that they mentioned earlier in this thread, and it made me feel like there is hope. I think you need to spend some time every day (more than once if you can) in front of the mirror, and very slowly inch up on the wanted movements that cause you synkinesis (like smiling or puckering your lips, etc.). As soon as the synkinesis muscles start to move, stop and try to relax those muscles. It's extremely hard--especially when you aren't even telling those muscles to move. I think I'm having some success with some areas in being able to separate those actions, and no control in other areas, but in real life when talking or licking my lips (or so many other things), I have no control.

But according to the website, it could take a couple years! I think I might re-read it monthly to get that positive feeling back. I wish you the best! Write back with your progress.
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!