Author Topic: Catlover´s Postie Story  (Read 30562 times)

suboo73

Re: Catlover´s Postie Story
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2009, 05:02:45 am »
Hi Mats!  Great posts!  Thank you for all the updates!
I am sure Helene will be back on her feet in no time - she sounds like a very determined person!

What a wonderful family you have!  The children keep you busy, no doubt about that.

I LOVE the picture of Helene, she looks fantastic!  ;D

All my best to you and your family.
Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2009, 06:48:17 am »
Life goes on, yes.... And with teenage kids it's an adventure everyday.
So, I guess this is "in the middle of life", right? The daily visit to the hospital will take place in the evening - and we'll see if it's just me or if one or two of the children will follow.

It is a daily adventure...but interestingly enough within the next five years, your kids will be mostly young adults and the adventures change...and you know how fast five years goes...

Helene looks wonderful in her post surgery pic!

Kate
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 07:12:56 am by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2009, 08:01:09 am »
Helene,
You're such a pirate!  My mom got me an eye patch at my request, but I couldn't figure out how to use it.  My son, who is in his third year of uni at Edinburgh, emailed, "Eye patch, cool!" as I warned him of my post-op condition (He will return home for the summer next Saturday.).  My daughter, who is 22 and living in Chicago, when I showed her the scar photo, suggested I go for the full Mohawk.  I thought they would be sympathetic and say "Poor Mommy."  Instead I get jokes!  So you never know what to expect from your kids.
Great posting, Mats.  Be sure to take some time for yourself.  Let your young adult children lift some of the burden of caring for Helene, the house, and certainly themselves when she gets home.  My kids lucked out since I was able to wait until they were well on their ways before having my surgery.
Time will fly, and life will be back to normal, or almost, soon.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

largecat

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2009, 11:26:40 am »
What a change! Today, just as me and Elinor was about to get into the car an drive to the hospital, the phone rang. Elinor took the call, and I saw on her face she was surprised: "Is it YOU?" I had told her about how tired Helene was and she did not expect to her her mothers voice on the phone. She wanted to know if we planned to visit and if we could bring some of her own pillows. That's more like my wife!

So, the F3D had come to an end - when we got there she had a walking chair standing by the bed, her glasses on, and the eye patch was over the other eye. She was so much better! We talked, we walked and it was amazing!

I will bring her laptop tomorrow - she must take over this by herself soon...  Hard work to keep you info-addicts satisfied...  ;)

Here are some pics:

Walking with Elinor

She must think she is in a commercial for eye patches...  :)

Nice view from the bed, 10th floor...

/mats  - "catlovers" husband

sgerrard

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2009, 12:22:01 pm »
Gotta love picture #2. Helene looks like she is enjoying her hospital stay.  :D

It is great to see such a nice smile. The eye thing will probably clear up soon, and soon she will be headed home. Can't wait to see her on the forum again.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2009, 01:05:43 pm »
Helene looks really very good.  I'm so glad you all got to visit together.  Hopefully you'll be on your way home soon!
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2009, 01:30:21 pm »
Fantastic!  Such a relief for everyone . . .
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2009, 03:15:53 pm »
Great news!  Soon these days will be a distant memory.  She looks so good and such a wonderful smile.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2009, 03:56:11 pm »
Mats:

Thanks for the encouraging update on Helene.  Great photos, too!  She looks wonderful (and happy) for a lady who is only a few short days out of brain surgery.  ;)  Congratulations. Helene!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lilan

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2009, 04:16:15 pm »
Wow, the legend of the F3D grows!

What an amazing leap! Helene looks fantastic and happy and no doubt is so relieved, as you all must be too!

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2009, 08:17:29 pm »
Great Pictures. It is great to see that Helene is up and moving around too! She could be a poster girl for brain surgery:-)

Keep on smiling Helene.  If you get your laptop tomorrow,  we should be hearing from you soon.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2009, 02:49:01 am »
Hi everyone!
I'm sort of back, but extremely weak though. Yesterday I was up walking a bit, but get very easily tired. Suppose it's the way it should be.

Thousands of thanks to all of you for all your thoughts and the support to Mats. I know he doesn't admit he has been supported, but I know he has.  :)

Sometimes I feel fine, but they couldn't save the hearing so it's a bit tricky to ony hear with one ear. The most annoying thng right now is that I have to have a
patch on one of my eyes. They eyes don't focus so I can't look with then at all at the same time. It is also hard to eat. I hasn't ever been an issue ever before in
my life, but now suddenly it takes a whole day to eat a single little sandwich with cheese.

Best to all of you

Helene
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

largecat

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2009, 04:15:48 am »
Connectivity can become a problem - no wi-fi and the LAN is not open for patients. We'll see. She used my 3G-modem t send the previous post.

/mats  - "catlovers" husband

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2009, 06:46:05 am »
Helene .....

You look and sound wonderful ..... although I know you are dealing with post-op unpleasant things, like the double vision, etc.  Hopefully the vision thing will quickly improve.  I had double vision for several days after surgery but it was not severe enough to patch an eye.  Just curious, do they not want you to use both eyes at the same time right now or is it just more comfortable that way?

Any idea when you will go home yet?

Take care and so good to hear from you in person ..... and thanks to Mats for the great pictures!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2009, 08:31:48 am »
Helene,

Welcome back! (we truly appreciated Mats posts--as he called us information addicts  ;))You are a living journal of the recuperation period.  Wow, you've been up walking around, using the phone, using the computer, and of course resting.  Day by day.... Listen to your body and rest as needed.  I slept a lot those first five weeks.

It is good to see you up and about with your great smile!

Continued success for a speedy recovery.

Kate
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:53:43 am by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN