Author Topic: Vestibular evaluation  (Read 3613 times)

Sefra22

Vestibular evaluation
« on: May 18, 2009, 07:39:59 pm »
My doctor want me to see a vestibular therapist later this week. I think I am fine except for a little "wonkyhead" when I walk too fast in brightly lit places like the supermarket.
What kinds of test can I expect to have? ???
 Thanks,
Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Vestibular evaluation
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:01:11 pm »
Lisa .....

This may vary from therapist to therapist but my tests consist of a Sensory Organization Test (in a special computerized chamber standing on moveable plates and with moveable walls), which analyze one's somatosensory (senations of the body), visual, and vestibular aspects to balance.  This is in addition to the therapist observing me while walking, standing with eyes closed, etc.  He also monitors my gaze stabilization, which has been an ongoing problem ..... but greatly improved since starting therapy 9 months ago.  Because I have had surgeries on both sides, I have no vestibular function so the therapy has resulted in much improvement in my somatosensory and visual aspects (which now compensate for my lack of vestibular help).

Hope this helps and let us know what kinds of tests you have.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 05:27:57 am »
Lisa -

I never had vestibular testing, but it sounds like Clarice sure did; very interesting stuff.

Just wanted to say, good luck with your appointment. 

Please let us know how the testing goes.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cin605

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 05:27:55 pm »
I have had all the same tests as Clarice. :)
The first time i had shoes on & test showed 25% of my vestubular workin the second time 4 months later barefoot & showed 17%
working.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Sefra22

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 10:43:03 am »
Thanks for your responses! I had my evaluation yesterday and thought I did pretty well, but they still want me to do some exercises and go back for a follow up in 2 weeks.
They had the machine that you described, Clarice, but my insurance didn't cover it, and I really don't think I needed it.

Mostly I did some walking, heel-to-toe,moving my head side to side, and maneuvering around obstacles. The best part was when I had to read an eye chart while she shook my head from side to side :P I didn't do too well on that one. I also had to stand on a platform that measured sway, and did okay on that..... but then they added a thick cushion under my feet, and had me close my eyes.  I didn't do to well on that either, but wouldn't that be hard for anyone who wasn't a gymnast or circus performer? :-\

Oh well, I'll do my exercises so I can do better next time and hopefully not have to go back,
Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 11:41:43 am »
Lisa .....

Glad you did well on the tests.  Actually I think the exercises they prescribe are valuable for anyone, unless you play tennis, do aerobic dancing, etc. in place of them.  All of us lose muscle strength and coordination as we age, unless we remain physically very active ..... and I for one, have not done much other than walking and water classes.

When they first had me standing on a thick cushion with my eyes closed, I immediately fell over (usually in the direction of my AN side).  I was so frustrated that I asked my husband to do it when we got home (we use a sofa cushion at home) and maddeningly he was steady as a rock ..... and he is not a gymnast or circus performer.   :'(  Thankfully, I can now say that I can usually stand 90 seconds without falling over (my husband is always there to spot me!).  When I am tired I do not do nearly as well.

From the sounds of things you should do very well with a minimum of exercises.  I would especially concentrate on the ones that are difficult for you to do.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011