Author Topic: Balance much better now when running  (Read 3177 times)

kenneth_k

Balance much better now when running
« on: May 13, 2009, 11:18:32 am »
Hello fellow AN'ers or others visiting this wonderful website.

7 months post surgery, my balance is much better when running. I have minor problems focusing, since my vision gets a bit blurry ::)
But today I ran 11,5 km in less than an hour, and I felt just fine. And I looked quite sober ;) The drunken sailor was no where to be found.

This post is meant to share happy thoughts and to add information to the enevitable question: "How much will surgery influence balance?

Regards, Kenneth

Darlene

Re: Balance much better now when running
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 12:44:43 pm »
Congratulation!! ;D

Your post was just what I needed as I am having a rough run of some balance issues and blurry eyes and I haven't even had treatment yet.  Glad to see your doing so well and it is alway encouraging to hear that things get better not worse.   
Thanks for sharing.

Darlene
DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 03:19:03 pm »
Thanks, Kenneth for that good report on your regaining balance control, especially when running!  These kinds of positive posts are most appreciated.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 08:01:17 pm »
Great to hear, at least on one side. Little SSD joke... ;D.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 09:40:40 pm »
Kenneth -

this is great news  ;D  Very encouraging for the newbies - and for those of us who have yet to venture into "unchartered territory".

I was a runner years ago and I've been trying to find the motivation to get out there again but always seem to have an excuse   ::)

I guess balance is one excuse I can now eliminate.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways