Author Topic: aquaNot ear plugs  (Read 4125 times)

chocolatetruffle

aquaNot ear plugs
« on: May 12, 2009, 09:41:15 pm »
its been 1.5 years with SSD and i have been using the regular foam ear plugs to protect my good ear from loud sounds.  today, i went to my ENT's open house - they moved to a new location and i thought i visit them.  The audiologist did a free hearing test on my good ear and i am happy to say that the right ear is functioning at 100%! 

Then i asked about ear plugs, especially musician ear plug - it is a couple hundred dollars with a noise reduction rating of max 25 dB. She introduced me to another ear plug "aquaNot", which is originally designed for swimmers ear but it could be used for noise reduction too, and its rating is better than musician ear (max 27 dB) - the good news is it is A LOT cheaper. 

I could not find an official site, but check this out.
http://www.westone.com/index.php?load=content&page=index&page_id=210

So, i am saying "GOOD BYE" to the unfashionable bright orange/yellow foam ear plugs and saying "HELLO" to my very fashionable swirls of pink/red/green silicone ear plugs  ;D
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Re: aquaNot ear plugs
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 10:02:16 pm »
I've recently discovered that I have enough hearing left in my AN ear to be very annoying.  When I talk, it sounds like it's vibrating.  When there is noise around me, it manifests itself as a muffled vibrating noise.

In short, thanks for the link to these ear plugs.  I think I will "hear" better without my AN ear trying to play along.  I'm going to try the cheap ear plugs to see if they help, and if they do, I'll pick up a pair of those stylish ones to show off to my friends :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 09:21:06 am »
Ooooooh, thanks so much for the link to the "aquaNot" ear plugs.  Just last week I asked my audiologist about the musicians' earplugs .... got the same answer and the cost was higher than I was willing to go.  I also have the hyperacusis (or however it is spelled) and wanted earplugs for known noisy situations .... as well as to protect my good ear.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 06:31:26 pm »
I'm so glad you shared this!!!  I will be trying these very soon.  I've not been exposed to loud noises yet but soon will be.  I'm going back to my commuity band next month and also attending an Aerosmith concert.  I have to ask a silly question - is it necessary to "plug" the non-hearing ear???? 

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!