Author Topic: anyone who's had gamma knife...  (Read 1070 times)

madison

anyone who's had gamma knife...
« on: May 12, 2009, 04:34:55 pm »
hi everyone-
i had GK a year ago. my last mri showed some swelling which the docs said was normal at this stage. sometimes i feel fine and other times out of the blue my ear feels really full, and i get that weird lightheadedness and even a slight tingly sensation. has anyone experienced this? i would really like to hear from anyone who had gamma knife- even if you ended up having surgery later. i want to learn all i can through others' experiences. thank you for taking the time to share.
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012

Kilroy1976

Re: anyone who's had gamma knife...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 08:12:04 pm »
You can expect strange little things like that. Either they'll go away or you'll get used to them. My advice would be to just give it time. Keep your doctor in the loop if it's intolerable or if it gets worse. Otherwise, just curse at "the phantom" every so often and live your life. Good luck! ;)
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

Joey

• Change could be right around the corner.
Re: anyone who's had gamma knife...
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 11:48:21 am »
Hello, you are ahead of me in the game here - but the ear fullness thing seems to a constant for me, too.  Weather plays a role and some days the pressure in my head really bothers me.  But then I'll go a couple of weeks and not notice anything.  The vertigo I'd been noticing is all but gone.  I count myself lucky.  Rotten headaches occasionally.  Not yet deaf, but we'll cross that bridge when it appears.

I noticed WAY more problems the first couple of months after my GK; I was on such a downer physically  - and mentally that I didn't think I'd survive it.  Facial weakness, problems with my eye, and uncontrollable dizziness at times.  Fatigue was an issue also, but I had enough to complain about.  It was a scary time that I am happy to leave behind. Here's to better days.    ~~Joey
Left sided AN.  GK over and done with at Mayo Clinic on
10-2-08; according to Dr. Link, AN measured 15 mm in greatest posterior fossa diameter; used 11 isocenters of radiation to cover tumor volume of 2.3 cm3.  Follow up on 4-14-09 indicated necrosis, no change in tumor size and less hearing, darn