Author Topic: Back from my son's Baha consult and my 3 week post op  (Read 2246 times)

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
Back from my son's Baha consult and my 3 week post op
« on: May 11, 2009, 03:22:25 pm »
Well first of my son could not believe the difference in hearing with the demo he said he could not explain the difference.He could hear him self chewing his gum lol. He is going to get the surgery done will find out at the end of the week on his date most likely after June 12 when school ends so he does miss a day of school and has the summer to heal. I am s excited for him I could see in his eyes when she put it on that he got excited  ;D .As for my 3 week post op going good she is keeping the healing cap off for a week it kind of touches the one side of the skin where it comes up from that divot I guess you call it that lol. Plus she put some silver nitrate on one spot to get the skin to grow there.I think that is what she told me I was so excited for my son that I forgot why she did that lol.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 04:37:55 am by mikjul1 »
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Back from my son's Baha consult and my 3 week post op
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 09:07:24 pm »
Mike -

glad your son loved the demo;  I think he'll love the real thing even more.  I'm excited for him.  It must be nice for him to have you leading the way in this; I think it's great for both of you.

I think the "divot" in your head (very apt description, by the way) will eventually "fill in".  I know mine did and it didn't take too long either.  By the time I was able to wear my Divino, the divot was long gone.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 12:37:00 pm »
Mike -

I'm glad your son liked the BAHA demo.  I'm also sure he'll love the real thing even more!  I'll bet he will be over the moon when he finally gets his processor!  I'm sure you've been setting a good example for him.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

grega

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 06:20:49 am »
Hi Mike .... in responding to your other post about your son having surgery on his b-day, I asked if he's also getting baha.  So in reading this one, my question's answered.  Do they allow cake in the OR ?  :o

You and Jan mentioned "divot" as what to expect after baha operation .... that tells me one or both of you might be into golf (?).  Yrs ago after my AN operation, I couldn't wait to get back out on the course.  Currently, my score's no better than pre-op   ::)  but I'm enjoying it nonetheless  :D

Greg

1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 10:57:20 pm »
Sorry, no golf for me; I can't speak for Mike, though.

Divot is just the best descriptive I can think of.  The site where the doc implants the "screw" in the skull is actually sunken for a time; mainly because some tissue is removed from the area.   I'm really not sure the reasoning behind the removal, but I'm sure it's medical.  Maybe something to do with better sound conductivity?  Where is Nurse Lori to explain this to me  ???

Over time the sunken area starts to "rise" and no longer exists.  Kind of a strange phenomena   ::)

At first I thought this wasn't supposed to happen because in the end, there is very little room between the skull and the "screw".  When this happened to me, I actually told my doc that I thought he didn't make the "screw" stick up enough and was he sure he "got it right"?  He assured me that everything was fine and he didn't goof up.

In hindsight, I can't believe I was telling him how he should have done the surgery ::)  Good thing he doesn't offend easily  :D

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways