Author Topic: A sign of "COURAGE"  (Read 5852 times)

LisaP

A sign of "COURAGE"
« on: March 29, 2009, 11:30:45 am »
Hi All,

Just wanted to share something that my 19 year old daughter did that "blew me away".

My daughter came home the other day and said mom look, on her right side behind her ear, she had my name tatoo.  I was so surprised and said why did you do that?  She stated because you show me "courage" everyday in dealing with your AN and with your brother's death. I then stated to her that the tatoo will be there now for the rest of her life.  She responded by saying so will your AN in some form before and after treatment.

All I could say was "WOW",  and it brought me to tears, I didn't realize how this was effecting my family and that my daughter was watching me this past year.  It also made me realize that I guess I did a good job of raising her.

thanks just wanted to share that with you great people of this forum.

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: A sign of "COURAGE"
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 11:43:18 am »
That's very cool.  My daughter sent an email with a photo of her tatoo just before her college graduation, saying "I hope you like it."  It was a trilobite.
Oh, well. 
Still, I know she loves me.  When I told her I was going to have to have surgery, she replied by email, "Is that the acoustic neuroma?  If so, what approach?"  I was amazed that she remembered that I even had a tumor, what it was called, and, of course, that she had any idea there were alternative surgical approaches.  I barely knew that!
Aren't kids just the best?
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

LisaP

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 11:51:42 am »
Nancy,

Again when is your sugery?  I want to make sure that I keep you in my prayers.

I was of course touched that she did the tatoo, but a necklace would have been ok too.  It also is funny on the timing of the tatoo with my one year annivesary coming up of my Dx on March 31.  My husband thinks this is the way she is dealing with the tumor.  I think he may be right.  But I still think it showed me how much she cared.

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 12:18:48 pm »
I think it is a GREAT thing that these girls are doing and shows what a great job you all have done as mothers...BUT I am not ready for MY curly girlies to get tatoos...YET!!  ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 12:30:50 pm »
Lisa,

That is very sweet!  You obviously did a good job raising her!  Kids may drive you crazy a lot of the time, but they sure do have a way of making you forget about all that and make you proud!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 12:37:27 pm »
My daughter sent an email with a photo of her tatoo just before her college graduation, saying "I hope you like it."  It was a trilobite.

Oh she will like The Ancestor's Tale just fine.  :D

I then stated to her that the tatoo will be there now for the rest of her life.  She responded by saying so will your AN in some form before and after treatment.

She is quite right. Even when they are surgically removed, people often refer to their "AN side." Scarring, hearing loss, tinnitus, etc.; it is never exactly the same again.

I agree with you and Kay, though - a Hallmark card would do. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 01:21:45 pm »
Lisa,
It's on the 8th of April, and thank you!

Steve,
She didn't fall far from the tree.  ;)  But the trilobites I have since given her for her birthday and Christmas might have served the same purpose.

Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 02:20:49 pm »
Nancy ~

Although I grew up in an era when women with tattoos were rare, in the past decade or so, I've seen a lot of ladies, in almost all age groups, sporting tattoos that ranged from 'cute' to striking and attractive.  They are no longer out of the norm.  Try to look at it this way:  your daughter's small tattoo, acquired in tribute to her admiration for your courage, is certainly an honor and, unlike cards and trinkets, will endure.  The sentiment behind her tattoo is affirmative and something any parent would welcome, as you do, even if they might prefer something more conventional.  You have a loving daughter with a very twenty-first century attitude and no inhibitions about displaying her feelings for you in a unique way.  You are very fortunate.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LisaP

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 05:57:24 pm »
Thanks for those of you that replied.

Thanks, Jim for those kind words, when you have children, you always worry about this and that, did I raise them right ect. ect.  I am one of the lucky ones, I have a great husband and children, yes we are not perfect but that's ok with me.  Yes I agree, a necklace or as Steve put it a "Hallmark" card would have been nice too but what she did does display her love for me. 

Thanks for letting me share this!!!

LisaP ;D
LisaP

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 09:48:42 am »
Lisa

Slap me stoopid for missing this thread. Not only do you have a terrific daughter, but her love for you is undeniable! I know this Sunday is going to be a terrific Mother's day for you!  BTW, go BoSox!  :-*

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 01:46:10 pm »
That is so sweet Lisa - post a picture for us.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

LisaP

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 05:20:15 pm »
Thanks everyone,

It's ok Phyl, the Red Sox do take up alot of our time, I wish I could post it but do not have the right equipment sorry. 

When she wears her hair up and I see my name I am still amazed.  Today the my girls gave me for Mother's Day, roses and a singing card that sang the song "Lean on me".  Moments like these I would love to hold on to forever.....

LisaP ;D
LisaP