Author Topic: Question for those with a BAHA  (Read 1730 times)

Jennifer

Question for those with a BAHA
« on: March 04, 2006, 08:02:57 pm »
I'm having a small problem with my baha and wanted to know if anyone else has experienced the same thing. I had the surgery in April '05 and got the processor in July '05. Everything was fine until about the middle of January when I thought the post got infected. It actually wasn't infected, it just needed to be cleaned better. I started taking better care of it but it still occassionally bleeds and has icky stuff around it. I have to clean it like a million times more than I did before! (ok, so maybe more like 4x more...) I'm wondering if this is because my hair is so much longer (about 4 inches). That's the only possible thing I can think of for the sudden change. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have ideas of what else could cause this or what I can do about it? thanks! jennifer

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Question for those with a BAHA
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 01:19:29 pm »
how often did you clean it before? .. I'm about twice a week .. on Sat and Wed I get my BAHA brush out while it the shower, and give it a cleaning... so far its been good, (recieved BAHA in Nov) .. once summer gets here, I'm siure I'll need it more ... (working in the garden and fishing, I'll have a swetty head more)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 01:24:51 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Pembo

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 07:04:59 pm »
My hair is long and I rarely actually clean the area. I do have my husband check it out every couple of weeks. I'd use a little ointment to get the area all cleared up.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

jenifyer

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 06:52:23 pm »
Hi Jennifer,

I was having the same problem for a while.  I had my implant surgery last August and still had that icky stuff, and it would bleed once in a while. i  clean it gently when i am in the shower and my husband checks it out once in a while also.  I haven't had any of those problems in a while and i am hoping it will stay that way.  my hair ls pretty long too, but i am not sure if that is the reason.

jennifer