Author Topic: Itchy scalp before surgery?  (Read 1321 times)

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
Itchy scalp before surgery?
« on: April 28, 2009, 06:36:52 pm »
It just occurred to me that maybe the itchy scalp (that makes me dig my nails into it for relief) may be related to the AN (???).  Has anyone else experienced this?  The only reason I think it *may* be related is b/c it's only on the top left of my head (AN side).  Never anywhere else.

I've had this looooong before I knew I had an AN, but thought I had dry scalp.

What do you think?  Dry scalp (unrelated) or AN issue?

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Itchy scalp before surgery?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 09:08:44 pm »
I had a little itching post AN op and tons of it after my BAHA implant surgery; but none before either surgery.

However, we all seem to have unique parts of our AN journeys.  Maybe yours includes itching pre op.

It could be AN related, you never know. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mk

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 10:56:02 am »
Yeap, I have that problem too. I have also had very dry hair during the last year (which I never had before). But then, I do suffer from eczema especially during the dry winter months. It does seem to be worse on the AN side, but as much as I have thought about it I haven't been able to find a logical explanation about how they could be associated. The only explanation that I could possibly come up with is that it may have something to do with the reduced/altered sensation due to the trigeminal nerve being compromized. Kind of similar to what happens with the cornea/dry eye thing. i.e. reduced sensation may give wrong signal for the secretion of natural oils that keep the scalp healthy, so it dryes up too much.
OK, keep in mind that this is a totally unscientific explanation, I haven't read it or heard about it anywhere so it is probably entirely wrong. Most likely this may be an environmental issue, coupled with stress that can cause funky sensations.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Lilan

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 11:26:42 am »
I have a tingly scalp, which is a not uncommon cranial nerve symptom...
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!