Author Topic: BAHA  (Read 12105 times)

wendysig

Re: BAHA
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2009, 09:59:39 pm »
Chad,

I'm coming back to this thread a little late in the discussion.  I guess not everyone will feel that  BAHA alters your life.  Like Jan, I found being SSD very difficult.  BAHA has changed my life and made it better.  I think the thing is, you have to keep your expectations realistic.  I was afraid my expectations were too high, but after reading about BAHA both here and on other sites, I think I had very realistic expectations.  In fact, BAHA has exceeded my initial expectations.  That's not to say that it doesn't have its limitations. 

I was recently on vacation in Florida and visited a couple of the Disney parks.   I found my BAHA to really be only minimally helpful at the parks (it was just too crowded and noisy and BAHA doesn't work well in noisy environments) but completely secure as far as how well it was attached to my abutment.  I wore the safety line for just in case purposes but found that that  did detach from my clothing.   Luckily I had a safety pin with me and attached it to the safety line and pinned it to my blouse and that did the trick, even though it turned out to be unnecessary.  The device itself stayed firmly planted on my abutment throughout the day on all the rides, although I was careful not to let my head hit anything.  I also checked fairly often to make sure it was still there.  BAHA, like any other assisstive device, has its limitatiions.  In my humble opinion, although I love my BAHA, and recommend it very highly in every other way,  the amount of concern I had about it falling off outweighed any benefit and I wouldn't wear it to an amusement park again.  As for the tinniness that Tammy mentioned, I find that if I hear sound directly through the processor (i.e. using the phone on my deaf side) the sound does have a tinny quality.  However, in normal conversation the sound is pretty close to normal.   Also,  I have also been able to localize sound that is coming from behind me -- a big plus in my opinion.  I haven't been able to localize sound coming from any other direction though.  Since I am SSD on my right, all sound comes to my left ear and sounds like it's coming from my left.  I hope that,  someday, I'll have better luck with that.  I know some people have to varying degrees.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Tamara

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2009, 07:45:48 am »
Hi all,
  I did not mean for my comment (the BAHA not being life-altering) to be taken as a BAD thing.  On the contrary, I like it a lot, and would certainly do it again.  I have been effectively SSD for probably close to a decade, so maybe that has something to do with it.  I guess I just didn't have any "BAHA moments" as they've been described.  Again, not a bad thing at all.  I appreciate that the annoyances of being SSD are greatly minimized.
  Best of luck to those beginning the BAHA process!

Tam
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2009, 07:59:36 am »
   I have been effectively SSD for probably close to a decade, so maybe that has something to do with it.  I guess I just didn't have any "BAHA moments" as they've been described. 

Tam,

I think your comment is on target. From all that I've heard/read/experienced, the longer one has been SSD (and has adjusted at least reasonably well to the situation) the less likely they are to experience a "wow" moment when they first get the processor. Doesn't mean the BAHA is not appreciated or quite useful -- it's just a more subtle improvement. I'm sure that there are exceptions to this -- Mike, on this forum, who's been SSD for many years apparently experienced a "wow" moment with the BAHA demo.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2009, 08:37:17 am »
Tam -

I didn't take your comment on the BAHA not being life-altering as a "bad" thing - and I hope my response didn't give you that impression  :-[  If it did, I apologize.

The forum is full of people with lots of different opinions and experiences - which makes it the great place that it is.  And just because your opinion and/or experience was different from mine, doesn't make it a bad thing.

I really enjoy hearing what everyone thinks - the same way I love to read about how different docs have different "rules" and techniques when it comes to AN and BAHA surgeries.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the BAHA.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Evltwin

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2009, 06:03:51 pm »
Well all I have my surgery tomorrow morning to get my BAHA.   ;D  I can’t wait to wear my “hatâ€?.  ::) I plan to scare people because I have a neighborhood garage sale on Saturday.  ;D  Ill keep you all posted.

Chad   

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 07:43:08 pm »
Good luck let us know how it goes.  ;D
                                  Mike Corso
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2009, 11:14:12 pm »
Chad??  :o  Seriously?

You didn't give me time to offer you Lori and my free BAHA Recovery Kit.  Oh well, we'll just move on to the next lucky recipient  ;)

Congratulations on your impending surgery.  Tomorrow is the 1st anniversay of my BAHA Gotcha Day (the day I got to attach my Divino for the very first time) and I couldn't be more thrilled.  I hope you love your BAHA as much as I love mine  ;D   Great choice!

Do we get pictures of you in your beautiful "hat"?

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2009, 08:09:15 pm »
This could be a stupid question, but when you use your ipod if you have a BAHA, do you ever put the other earphone in the BAHA ear? I know it picks up vibrations - how does that work?
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2009, 10:45:37 pm »
Keri -

not a stupid question at all.  I can't speak for everyone, but I've never tried my iPod in my SSD ear.

Long before I got my BAHA implant, when I first came SSD from my AN surgery, I bought myself a mono-plus adaptor and a single ear phone from Radio Shack.  It was a very small investment - less than $10 - and it works wonders.    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102690&tab=summary

Cochlear does offer an iPod adapter that somehow plugs into their processors (Divino and Intenso) but it's pricey so I never purchased one.   I know Sam Rush did and I think he likes it, but I don't know the specifics. 

Jan

Tamara

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2009, 05:35:52 am »
I'll second that, Jan.  I really love the mono-plug.  My sound quality on the BAHA is such that I wouldn't care to use it for music anyway.

Tam
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...