Author Topic: BAHA  (Read 12098 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 02:27:55 pm »
Keri -

I only had a BAHA "hat" for 24 hours and then was able to remove it - pictures are on the forum somewhere (search under BAHA hat).

Then, like Lori, I had a healing cap for about a week.  My healing cap was small, round, and plastic and held down a square piece of pink foam bandage that covered my site.  Once my hat was removed, no one had any idea I was wearing the pink bandage and cap; my hair covered it.

I was able to wash my hair 24 hours post op if I held a cup over the BAHA site to keep it from getting wet. 

I had the implant surgery about 9 months after my AN surgery and it was NOTHING like the AN surgery.  BAHA surgery is done on an outpatient basis and generally takes about 90 minutes - but may take a little longer if general anesthesia is used.  I had local anesthesia (lidocaine injected into my head) and was awake during the entire procedure.  Sounds a little grizzly, but it worked out fine for me.  No pain whatsoever.  The sights and smells weren't extremely pleasant, but they weren't totally horrendous either. 

I had a little pain the day of the procedure and the following day and took Extra-Strength Tylenol for it. 

Recovery was basically easy.  I took off work the day of the procedure but went to my son's volleyball game that afternoon.  I got some strange looks, but that was about it  ::)  I also took off work the following morning since I was still wearing my "hat" at that point and thought some of my colleagues might be bothered by it.

I had no infection or other concerns; healed well; and was able to attach my processor 3 months post op just like my doc planned.

Everyone is different, and different docs have different "rules", but I don't think you'll encounter anything major during or after the surgery if you elect to have it.

Greg -

Lori's right about the bald spot.  The hair around my abutment looks much better than I thought it would.  I figured I'd have a huge bald spot, but that's far from the case.  I think at one point I even asked my doc if he was sure he'd taken enough hair off my head, but he assured me he did everything just right.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 02:50:27 pm »
I only had a BAHA "hat" for 24 hours and then was able to remove it - pictures are on the forum somewhere (search under BAHA hat).

Jan's BAHA Hat :)  thanks for sharing the piccies, Jan! :)

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6035.0

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 03:12:34 pm »
Hey Greg, My ENT said that the intenso might be to strong for me because the divino that I tried on the demo was only at the2 volume level what is your demo set at. I just had the surgery and it is a piece cake.
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 06:14:13 pm »
Thanks for posting the link to my "hat" pictures, Phyl.

I didn't have time to search for it earlier today - posting to the forum while @ work  :o

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 08:48:19 pm »
Thank you all for the pictures and the info!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 09:05:46 pm »
Hey, no problem, Keri.

It's what we're here for  ;D

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

I asked lots of them prior to my BAHA surgery - some I'm sure BAHA users rolled their eyes at - but it's important to be comfortable with your decision.  And to give credit to those who answered my questions, everyone was very patient with me. 

Jan

grega

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 06:52:27 am »
Good morning all!

Ditto-ing Keri on the thanks for pics ...... and Phyl, seems as if you have quite a memory to be able to find pics at the drop-of-the-hat .... hopefully not one of Steve's fine hats.

Perhaps if the ENT doc errs on the side of too much hair removed, I'll just request it be combined with my existing bald spot .... yeh I know, stuff happens, including guys' bald spots!

Mike, by several of your and others' posts, I'm at ease regarding surgery, which I have not yet planned.  Re the Intenso tester, I got quite a bit of feedback at highest setting, so it was usually at 2-ish. I'm leaning toward the Divino, based on your and Jan's info, my good ear ain't too bad, and I'm really interested in the directional mic.

BTW, Phyl, even tho someone in this forum recently said there are no dumb questions, I have a dumb question ... what's "PBW" under your pic?

;D .... Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Keri

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 07:41:47 am »
i askd the big pbw (pwb?) question also in a couple of posts (forgot where i asked)!! i remember reading the answer last night - you have to go read the "Good Morning" post under AN Community. I haven't read that yet. one time i looked at it and saw it was about 4,000 pages, and i thought 'i'll do that later!' so, when i have some time this evening, and am relaxing with a nice glass of wine, i will read it!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Tamara

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 07:59:24 am »
"PBW" is Princess Batty Wench, if I'm not mistaken, and yes, you'd have to read the "Good Morning" post, though not all 9000 pages, or whatever it's up to, to understand.  Although I have no official title on the vessel (like official breeze conjurer, like Pooter, or Cursed Cruise Director, like Phyl), I like to think I'm still "on board".

Back to the BAHA - as everyone has pointed out, the surgery is easy.  I had general anaesthetic, but only because I wasn't offered an option.  Had surgery at 8 am - out to lunch with my husband by noon, driving my son (OK, against recommendations  ::)) to orchestra later that afternoon.

Although I like the BAHA a lot, I did not find it life-altering.  Mainly, the little annoyances of being SSD are gone - I don't say "What?" as often, and I don't have to swivel around to hear out the car window at the drive-through.  The quality of sound to me is very tinny, like old recordings you hear from the '20's. 

Also, FYI, you are also given a plastic "cap" with your BAHA kit - if you are not wearing the BAHA and don't want the device itself or the metal abutment to show, you can just snap this on.  The example I was given is if you're going to be in a formal portrait, or something like that.  It probably isn't an issue for most women, but might be useful for the guys.

Best Wishes,
Tam
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

grega

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 08:27:00 am »
Thanks Tam .... I read a plethora of posts on "Good Morning" but PBW didn't pop out at me.  Then I caught the Shakespeare Insult Generator website on the last page, which started my daily chuckles, and I completely forgot about looking for PBW. Thanks for the definition.

Yep, the Intenso tester was a bit tinny ..... I'll try the Divino soon.  I expect the chosen unit to give better sound than testers because of the direct bone conduction.

Glad that you're "Continuing to improve"

:)  Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 11:27:34 am »

Although I like the BAHA a lot, I did not find it life-altering.  Mainly, the little annoyances of being SSD are gone - I don't say "What?" as often, and I don't have to swivel around to hear out the car window at the drive-through.  The quality of sound to me is very tinny, like old recordings you hear from the '20's. 

Tam -

I'm really sorry to hear that.  I do find the BAHA life-altering, but then I totally hated being SSD so that could be why.  I don't think I really adapted to it on any level; actually found it highly depressing. 

I don't have an issues with the sound quality of my processor.  It's definitely not like "normal" hearing, but I don't find it tinny at all.  It took a little while to get used to hearing my own voice the first few weeks I wore my Divino, but now it's become second nature to me and I'm not conscious of it at all.

I'm glad to hear though that you like your BAHA  :)

Jan

Evltwin

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2009, 12:14:13 pm »
Thank you all for all the great information.  It appears that my decision is a no brainer (no pun intended) I will get a BAHA.  Thanks again for all the info and keep up with the great suggestions. 

Chad 

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 03:38:47 pm »
Chad you will not regret it man.  ;D

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2009, 04:09:03 pm »
IMO a BAHA is a great decision, Chad.

When you do schedule your surgery, please let us know.

Once you have a "date," if you PM me your address I'll send you one of Lori's and my famous BAHA Recovery Kits  ;D

Jan

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 05:17:21 pm »
HAAAAAA the chocolate and if he does not want it well you no my address just kidding    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  you will like the recovery kit Chad it was a very nice thing that Jan and Lori are doing for people. Yes please let us know you date. Good luck