Author Topic: weather systems and AN  (Read 3127 times)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
weather systems and AN
« on: April 27, 2009, 09:32:46 am »
Hi to all,
I have been MIA for awhile.  I returned to full time teaching after all my surgery adventures and have been submerged in the process of getting things back to a semblance of normality in the classroom.  Now I have a question to pose to posties.  My goose egg CSF leak is well and truly gone, and the surgery site is now a small "crater" behind my ear.  I have noticed that during Houston's recent turbulent spring weather, I was more headachey and the crater felt t like it was a little more full than usual, like I had some extra padding in there.  I just got back form taking my 4/5 graders to D.C. for 4 days...22 kids and 23 parents.  (Makes me wonder if the drs. didn't actually do a lobotomy instead of a craniotomy!)  Anyway, the weather in D.C. was blazingly beautiful with bright blue skies and very warm temperatures.  My little crater felt completely empty and other than being sleep deprived, I had no headaches.  Question is....has anyone else noticed a connection between weather fronts (high/low pressure systems) and how they feel?

Just curious...

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

grega

Re: weather systems and AN
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:07:20 am »
Hi curious ..... err, Priscilla,

Glad you and your kids had 4 days of bee-u-tee-ful weather to see the sights in DC.  That's best time to be here.  I'm just near the Chesapeake Bay bout 45 mins east.  This whole area can get hot & humid in the spring & summer .... and I do experience some slight pressure headaches and tenderness in the retrosig spot, specially when H&H are high.  So it must come with the crater.

Keep smiling ....... Greg

1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:17:42 am »
Priscilla,

I live in Southern Ontario in between Toronto and Niagara Falls.  The weather here is very turbulent.  I've suffered from migraines since I've been 12 years old.  Since my surgery in 2006, I can predict the weather better than any meteorologist.

Last week when I was vacationing in the Dominican Republic, every day was sunny, clear and I had no headache.  My face bothered me slightly, but on the whole I was fine.  On the plane ride home, an hour before landing in Toronto my head started to pound.  This weekend the weather has been so up and down, my head has taken a beaten.   My husband even noticed yesterday I had that pinched look of pain on my face and he commented on it.

Maybe we need to move to where the weather systems are very stable.   I can have my bags packed in 10 minutes flat  ;)

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 10:24:08 am »
Amen to that , Anne Marie!  And while we are at it, can we pick a place that is always in the high 70s, low 80s, low humidity?  :D This spring in Houston has been rough on me.  I know what you mean about being a barometer.  My caffeine intake has almost doubled.  Coffee really seem to help the headaches in my case. Doesn't jive with my acid reflux, but iced coffee is easier on my stomach than hot coffee for some reason.
Priscilla
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 10:35:53 am »
Anne Marie~
I was wondering how your headaches were on your vacation - glad to hear that you didn't have to deal with that...especially  with all you came home to!

Priscilla~
So good to hear from you!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 10:43:33 am »
Since my surgery in 2006, I can predict the weather better than any meteorologist.

Those are fighting words!  ;D

As a meteorologist, I would never deny the claim that the weather can have an impact on how a person feels, both physically and emotionally.  It may not be completely related to pressure, as there are a number of things that change including, but not limited to, pressure, temperature, humidity, wind, particulates in the air (not all true pollution), etc.

You could probably start a whole new scientific career trying to track health issues with weather patterns :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

TP

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 10:52:30 am »
I live in Florida and I can tell when the weather is changing. However, I need to have humidity since I have no fluid on my left side of my head due to paralysis. If the humidity is low, I am extremely dry and have a harder time breathing. I guess living in Florida is a good thing since our humidity is usually on the high side.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

JudyT

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 11:23:29 am »
The weather here in central California has been up and down as I have been. Cold, windy (60's) then hot (95) in a matter of days. Headaches/balance have been very bothersome and depressing. Allergies don't help issues either. This has been a rough couple of weeks.........making plans/appts. Then cancelling.....very difficult. I am a widow and look forward to socializing with others fun.....then can't go. I don't feel safe driving etc. I really believe that that weather affects us in different ways. I never had these issues before CK, ( 4 years ago) and I have lived here all my life. It seems I get worse as the day moves forward. Does anyone have these problems?

Judy

Lilan

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 03:32:09 pm »
I find Nasacort helps a lot. I was diagnosed with non-allergic rhinitis, meaning allergy-like reactions to barometric pressure changes, dust, and other "mechanical" irritants, as opposed to being allergic to a particular substance. It has almost eliminated my barometric pressure headaches. May not be relevant but never sure when a tidbit of info might help someone.  :)

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 03:36:00 pm »
Thanks for the tip, Lilan.  That certainly sounds like an easy thing to try.  The headaches aren't really the miserable kind, but I tend to panic a bit if I start to feel a difference in the incision site. :-[.  I need to relax and let it go, I know!
Priscilla

suboo73

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 04:39:08 pm »
Maybe we need to move to where the weather systems are very stable.   I can have my bags packed in 10 minutes flat  ;)
Anne Marie

I am with you Anne Marie!  Let's buy a whole island in the Caribbean, and we can all go there!

Sue
PS Current temp in VA is 88 degrees F, and the humidity is 7%, omgosh, rare here!
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 07:18:39 pm »
Sue,
I was just in D.C. and they were having a heat wave!  I walked down tea Mall to the Lincoln Memorial and I was a sweat ball when I got there.  Coming from Houston, I don't break out in a sweat unless there is some serious humidity!
Priscilla

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 08:08:25 pm »
I thought Houston was serious humidity!! ;D
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Keri

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 08:35:57 pm »
Hi,
Yes the weather in DC the last two days has felt more like Texas weather! (used to live in south TX and Dallas). Congrats to you for hitting the 4 days just right with your group of kids and parents... all I seem to remember this past spring is really cold, or wet or hot weather. There were a few really nice days in there and you hit them just right!

I too have felt like weather affected my head and the wonkiness. I asked my ENT about it and he didn't seem to agree. I think there must be a connection.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!