Author Topic: AN and Lupus  (Read 3383 times)

klein-6

AN and Lupus
« on: April 18, 2005, 06:34:15 pm »
My sister was just diagnosed with a 2 cm AN. She also has Lupus and I was wondering if anyone else has delt with this situation and what they did. Thanks. Susan

Russ

Re: AN and Lupus
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 10:38:34 pm »
Hi
  I've never heard of anyone with the combination but see they are not related, Lupus being an auto-immune disease. AN being Neurological Neoplastic. Seems they require treatment individually. Possibly a combination of AN and Lupus could increase the chance of Sudden Hearing Loss or cause contralateral deafness post op due to auto-immune dysfunction.
  Guess this topic belongs to a Dr. well knowledgable of AN and auto-immune disorder.   -Russ

What is Sudden Hearing Loss?

Sudden hearing loss (SHL) is defined as greater than 30 dB hearing reduction, over at least three contiguous frequencies, occuring over 72 hours or less. It occurs most frequently in the 30 to 60 year age group and affects males and females equally. Although called sudden, it seems unlikely that hearing loss is abrupt but rather it probably evolves over a few hours.

SHL can affect different people very differently. SHL is usually unilateral (that is, it affects only one ear); and is often accompanied by tinnitis. vertigo, or both. The amount of hearing loss may vary from mild to severe, and may involve different parts of the hearing frequency range. SHL may be temporary or permanent. About one third of people with SHL awaken in the morning with a hearing loss.
What Causes Sudden Hearing Loss?

Autoimmune    Vascular    Neurological Neoplastic    Trauma or Toxin    Infections and viral
Autoimmune inner ear disease (AIED)    Cardiopulmanary bypass    Acoustic Neuroma    Large vestibular aqueduct syndrome    Cryptococcal Meningitis
Cogan's syndrome    Red blood cell deformability    Contralateral deafness after acoustic neuroma surgery    Inner ear concussion    Cytomegalovirus
Lupus    Sickle cell    Focal pontine ischemia    Inner ear decompression sickness    Herpes-simplex I
Meniere's    Small vessel disease    Leukemia    Otologic surgery    HIV
Polyarteritis nodosa    Vascular disease associated with mitochondriopathy    Meningeal carcinomatosis    Ototoxicity    Lassa Fever
Relapsing polychondritis    Vertebrobasilar insufficiency    Migraine    Perilymph Fistula    Meningococcal meningitis
Ulcerative Colitis         Multiple sclerosis    Temporal bone fracture    Mumps
Wegeners's granulomatosis         Myeloma    CSF leak, such as caused by lumbar puncture    Rubeola
                    Rubella
                    syphilis
                    Toxoplasmosis

Table adapted from Wynne, 2003