Author Topic: Weekend headaches  (Read 5807 times)

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
Weekend headaches
« on: April 22, 2009, 07:48:21 pm »
Wanted to throw this one out there to see what you guys thought.

I am lucky that I don't get headaches all that much, but when I do, they are almost always on the weekends.  I wake up with them.  Perhaps it is because I am sleeping in longer those days????  Anybody experienced this?

Curious,
Amy
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Re: Weekend headaches
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 08:20:40 pm »
Later getting your coffee (caffiene) fix?  I know sometimes when I sleep in I get behind on my caffiene.  This hasn't been a problem since surgery since I'm down to 2 cups a day :)

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 07:46:12 am »
Although I rarely have a headache now, for years I struggled with migraine-type headaches.  I, as well, found they were much more frequent on week-ends.  For me, the answer in reducing them was to try to always go to bed and get up at the same time 7 days a week.  It seems when I was teaching, I would relax on Friday and Saturday nights, stay up later, sleep later the following mornings, and wake up with a headache.

Of course the caffeine thing probably also entered into the mix .....

Hope your headaches soon resolve.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

GeorgiaMei

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 06:12:53 pm »
I think some tension-type headaches are associated with 'downtime.'  Everything is okay while you are stressed out as usual during the week, but as soon as you relax a little, they hit!  It might be worth asking your doctor about.   When I had my headache work-up, they asked if I had ever experienced this.  Hope you find an answer!  Karen
3.3cm x 2.6cm : Translab resect 3/08
Post-op epilepsy , multiple clots in brain sinuses
Chronic H/A, Facial paralysis, Imbalance, Vertigo
CN VIII removed-deaf in R ear
Received amazing care from Drs. Roberson and Colen at CEI/Stanford (www.californiaearinstitute.com)

AMD

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 06:19:33 pm »
Thanks everybody. Yes, it may well be a mixture of all things here.  I am not a coffee drinker, but that doesn't mean my ritualistic eating habits :) are not thrown off.  I may try getting to bed earlier and waking up earlier too.  Last weekend I lucked out with no headaches.  I hope this weekend will be the same.  My new job involves staring at computers almost the whole shift too, which I was thinking maybe neck/eye strain catching up with me too. 

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts!!

-Amy
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 02:37:11 pm »
Amy:

My headaches tend to occur in the morning. I have noticed that when I sleep longer my neck is stiff or aching more often. Sometimes, this stiffness does produce a headache. However, waking up at the same time every day doesn't guarantee that I will not get a headache. I do think you are on to something.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 10:21:18 am »
If you take daily medication and you are sleeping longer on the week-end, maybe your medication has more time to wear off before you wake up?  I used to drink a lot of water before I went to bed knowing that I would wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. (I used water as an alarm clock.) I would take something (anti-inflammatory) with a little food in the middle of the night.  I wouldn't be as likely to have that dreaded morning headache.

I would also get up in stages to avoid head pain. I know now that it was the blood rushing past the artery that gets a little more engorged with your head down most of the night. The increased volume of blood irritates the nerve resulting in pain and a stiff neck.  Maybe sleeping longer on the week-end adds to this?

This is an example of how this level and frequency of pain controls almost everything you do!

Janet

Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

wcrimi

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 08:58:37 am »
Later getting your coffee (caffiene) fix?  I know sometimes when I sleep in I get behind on my caffiene.  This hasn't been a problem since surgery since I'm down to 2 cups a day :)

Ernie

When I was a coffee drinker that's exactly what used to happen to me. I used to experience some severe withdrawal symptoms at times because I used to drink 6-7 cups a day during the week but only 1-2 cups a day on weekends. usually I would fine on Saturday, but by Sunday sometimes I felt sluggish, had a headache, and felt generally bad. 

I almost never drink coffee now, but occasionally I do have a cup.  When I have a single cup I sometimes feel a little lousy either the next day or day after that. Perhaps even a single cup has a withdrawal impact.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 09:04:12 am by wcrimi »
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

AMD

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 09:21:44 pm »
wow, well, i'll certainly give it a shot.  the best thing is - that treatment is free and no side effects!!!  :)  I have been very lucky these last several weekends, and maybe it is because I am not thinking about them as much!!  ok, now that I am thinking about not thinking about them, i better go back to not thinking about it :):):)
Left SSD