Author Topic: Translab post op ear swab  (Read 2392 times)

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Translab post op ear swab
« on: April 21, 2009, 11:23:27 am »
Well, just had my first shower and total hair wash.  Wondered where much of my hair was until I remembered they shaved it off.
Yesterday, Dr. McKenna swabbed my ear with alcohol and told me to do the same once a day after showering.  I decided to just dab the swab in first before adding alcohol so as to absorb some of the water, and it came out blood-stained.  Anybody else have this experience?
My larder supplies are on their way in a bit, so will have my mommy have a look (90-year old retired pediatrician).  But I don't think I want to go back in there with any heavy equipment right away.  Any danger of knocking things loose? 
I know.  Euuuwwww!  Sorry.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Cheryl R

Re: Translab post op ear swab
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 12:48:04 pm »
Is the swab real bright red or kind of dark red?      There can be dried blood in the ear that just stayed till is wet and then wipes off on the swab and even may be fairly red too.   Also betadine is probably in the ear which is brownish reddish.         There even could be some dried blood that was stuck in there and when came loose is causing a bit of bleeding.           I would just watch the amount and bet you are fine.   If it was running out of the ear in huge amounts than you could get worried.              You would have had trouble early on if was a real problem.                 
                                                                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: Translab post op ear swab
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 01:06:24 pm »
If it was running out of the ear in huge amounts

Eek!  It seems fine.  I got brave and swabbed with alcohol before my mom could get her hands on it, and it came out clean this time, so phew!  I think Dr. McKenna did suggest that it was just dried blood where he closes up the ear in there.  So, we're just getting it cleaned out gradually.  I just thought perhaps he had cleaned it and all I had to do was keep it from getting infected.  Mom's going to bring her otoscope next visit, but I'd rather she keep that sharp point away from me.
Thanks.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness