Author Topic: type of surgery/result  (Read 11688 times)

alicia

• it is well
type of surgery/result
« on: April 17, 2009, 07:36:20 pm »
I know you probably have done this a ton of times, but I can not seem to locate it on the forum...but would everyone please put the type of surgery and the extent of facial paralysis.  I think I read (from Jan maybe) that it does not seem to make a difference and I do realize eveyone is different with their own tumor, but I have 2 docs telling me 2 different procedures and I need to go the the next appt. with good questions.  Thanks, A
Please play
retro vs translab?
damage to facial nerve (more than a month)?
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

Kathy M

• Kathy
Re: type of surgery/result
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 07:43:42 pm »
HI Alicia!

I had a large AN removed in January, retrosigmoid procedure and absolutely no facial issues at all after surgery!  (they did leave a small portion behind to preserve the facial nerve - sounds like this is becoming pretty typical)

I know you must be very concerned - wishing you all the best.  I was too - spent a whole lot of energy worrying about something I had absolutely no control over and ended up just fine.   Try to stay positive and learn from everyone here - the journeys are different, but we're all here to help!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 07:59:31 pm »
Hi Alicia,

I didn't even have surgery, but I wanna play anyway. :)

I  would ask each doctor which procedure they perform most often, how often their patients have had more than a month of facial paralysis, and how they think you would fare, based on the size and location of your particular tumor. It does often become a case of picking the doctor and procedure as a set, so to speak. You may end up finding that you feel more confident about one of them, and just go with that.

Where are you having surgery?

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 09:06:26 pm »
I had a 2.5CM AN and it was removed using the retrosigmoid surgical procedure. Absolutely no facial paralysis.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 09:12:22 pm »
Retrosig for a 1.5cm AN. No facial paralysis. Do have additional hearing loss from the surgery. Also got the bonus headaches.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 10:10:15 pm »
Retrosigmoid, no facial paralysis.  Had weakness one night.  Doing great!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 10:59:39 pm »
I am having retro May 14 in Omaha, NE at Methodist Hospital. 
(unless I go crazy and decide to live in LA with my brother-in-law and have translab at House!!)
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 11:09:44 pm »
Nothing crazy about contacting House to see what they say. The consultation is free. :)

http://www.houseearclinic.com/acousticneuromaconsultation.htm

Steve

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 11:25:35 pm »
I did send my info to House.  Brackman called today and said he recommends Translab.  He says because my tumor is large - my hearing can not be saved with either procedure (local doc said same thing).  He says he finds better results with Translab for preserving facial nerve, reduced spinal leaks, post headache, and complete tumor removal as compared to Retro.  He even said he has regretted doing retro lately because of facial damage.  He is sending me info on the 2 procedures and calling me back Wed.  I see my local Neurosurgeon for a final time Tues and just want to ask him further details...is he doing retro b/c it's right for me, or because that's the procedure he does most?

After writing all this, I just want to be at peace and stop over thinking.  I am so much a go with the flow girl - this is really making me think waaaayyyy too much :D

My kids said a few days ago that I have missed 3 nights of tucking them into bed...That has helped set me straight!

Have a great brunch - you guys all deserve a get-away!
12/13/17 Gamma Knife

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 12:30:04 am »
Alas, I am in Portland, Oregon, and will not be making the brunch in Boston.  :(

Alicia, can you go to House? They come highly recommended around here. Plus, there is an LA welcoming committee of forum members, who often are able to meet incoming House patients for a stroll in the park, a bite to eat, and a chat about brain surgery.

All of us went through the intense period of over thinking and mulling it over. The decision about treatment is often the hardest thing. It is great that your kids reminded you about tucking them in; it is nice to get grounded now and then.

Steve

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 05:45:16 am »
some weakness for a few months, but nothing to wine about

I had translab ten days ago.  The surgeons at MassGeneral/MassEyeandEar chose this approach when I was found to have no hearing remaining in my AN ear.  I was relieved, as I was concerned about facial paralysis more than hearing preservation after seven years of decline.  They removed the entire 1.8 cm tumor and saw full function of facial nerve immediately post-op.  Next morning, not so much.  They believe it will be temporary.  I can only hope, but I am whining about it!   ;D
Nancy
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 06:22:34 am by NancyMc »
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

cindyj

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 06:18:45 am »
Hi, Alicia - I had translab in Nov, facial nerve was preserved, but I had delayed facial weakness that lasted roughly 7ish weeks - was never worried as the docs assured me it was temporary from the get go, and it was!

Best wishes to you,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

joebloggs

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 06:27:00 am »
Hi Alicia, 

I had translab almost 5 weeks ago for a 2.7cm tumour.  All good!  The whole thing was removed, no damage to facial nerve, no facial issues apart from my eye stopped closing properly on day 12 after surgery, lasted about 5 or 6 days.  All fixed now!

Feeling great!

Best wishes with your decision

JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 09:24:28 am »
Hi Alicia:  I had retrosigmoid for a 2.2cm AN.  Ended up with total right sided facial paralysis.  My facial nerve never responded on the monitor from the beginning to end of surgery.   The AN had been there for approx. 20 years (I figure that's when the tinnitus & decreased hearing started).   My facial nerve was severely damaged.
You really can't go by the type of procedure - it all depends on the extent of damage to the facial nerve & if it is able to 'come back.'
Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Kaybo

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 09:41:48 am »
Alicia~
I TOTALLY agree with Nancy - I think it all depends on how big your tumor is (however Jim Scott had a biggie and no paralysis) and where it is located - the main thing being WHAT it has been pressing on & for how long (to what extent) - I realize that doesn't help you much!

I had a translab but it was a LONG time ago - I think I would probably have different results now (but I'm not going to sit around & mourn that - at least I am still here!).  Also, my tumor was "HUGE" (size of a man's fist - don't have exact measurements).

My 2 cents, if anything ever happens again with my AN, I'm heading straight to House...& not just because I want to meet LADavid (even though that is a big motivating factor!)...

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!