Author Topic: My different tumor  (Read 2034 times)

lholl36233

My different tumor
« on: April 15, 2009, 04:27:50 pm »
Hi,

As those of you who have read my posts know, my tumor isn't the same as an AN.  What I have is bone pushing against and narrowing the inner ear canal.  This makes me wonder.  If I were able to have surgery to remove the bone that is narrowing the ear canal. would the hearing come back?

I'm sure it's not that simple but it makes sense in theory.  Does anyone have experience with this?

Thank you.
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: My different tumor
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 04:32:15 pm »
Good question.  While it certainly sounds very logical to me, I have no idea if that would work.

It might be something to ask your doctor.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lholl36233

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 04:52:10 pm »
Thanks Jan.

There would probably be more than a few risks the doctor doesn't want to take if he doesn't have to.

Still, it is theraputic for me to share my thoughts with those who understand what I'm going through.   :)
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 07:21:45 pm »
Hi there,

I agree with Jan - definitely a doctor question, but I would venture to say it would help restore your hearing as long as the bone is the only factor and your hearing nerve hasn't been affected.

Wishing you the best, and yes, we understand where you are coming from :)

-Amy
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 07:30:24 pm »
Besides the status of the hearing nerve, which usually does not recover from damage, you would need to know the status of the cochlea, the hearing organ itself. My little AN is thought to have squeezed the artery that runs through the canal (along with all the nerves), cutting off blood supply to the cochlea, and causing it irreversible damage. In fact my hearing nerve itself tests pretty well as far as transmitting a signal; it just doesn't get much signal from the cochlea to send.

So you get a definite maybe. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.