Author Topic: MS 150 Adventure  (Read 3964 times)

texsooner

MS 150 Adventure
« on: April 14, 2009, 12:38:19 pm »
Hi Folks. I wasn't planning to post anything about this, but since I read some encouraging comments and well wishes from many of you(after LA David's latest weekly announcement of events)I thought it would be okay. I thought also this may help some fellow and/or future AN'ers realize that you can still strive to do many things that you did before discovering you were a part of this special group.

I apologize up front if any of my fellow forum friends feel it's not appropriate to promote/support a non-AN fundraising event here. A couple of you asked if they could sponsor my efforts on this ride to benefit people with MS, so if interested you can click on the link below that will take you to a website and you can click on "Donate to Pat"(yes, I really go by Pat, but use Patrick on this forum so you wouldn't think I was a woman....you'd be surprised how much mail I get addressed to Ms. Pat!).

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR/Bike/TXHBikeEvents?px=5154996&pg=personal&fr_id=10222&et=UbVIZsJKM7RuiGZNZy5RKw..&s_tafId=115099

Also, below here is a link to an article you may find interesting being published today in our little weekly suburban newspaper(The Cypress Sun)talking about my training partner and my efforts for the MS150. My friend mentioned my AN experience to the reporter, so there's some in the article about that as the reporter asked a lot of questions. If you read it, I just want all of you to know that I did not say there was a tumor in my brain....the reporter just inferred that. I said it was pressing against the brain stem. I also noticed a few grammatical errors, but hey I guess this ain't the NY Times. 

http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2009/04/14/cypress_sun/news/041509_ms_150_cypress_cyp.txt

Thanks again to all of you for your encouragement and support.

Patrick

3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

lori67

Re: MS 150 Adventure
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 12:51:52 pm »
MR. Pat,

I think it's great that you let us know about all the adventures you've been involved in since your AN surgery.  I think it proves that there is life after AN.  Perhaps it doesn't involve riding a bike for 150 miles for all of us, but it's nice to see that there's no reason we can't do whatever we set our minds to.

I, personally, do not look at is as you promoting a non AN event, but more of a way to encourage lots of AN'ers.  And heck, if the MS forum wants to promote something for AN's, I'm all for it!   ;D

Good luck to you!  I know you'll finish with flying colors! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 08:33:59 pm »
It is in AN Community. Almost anything goes. :)

Good luck on the ride, and more power to you. It is a great example for all of us of what we should be doing.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 09:03:05 pm »
Really nice article Pat, even if the reporter got the part about your AN a little goofed up.

I found it very ironic that your training partner/long-time friend had his own brain "issue".  What are the odds?

Good luck to both of you on the ride.

Post a picture or two for us on the forum, please.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 11:02:27 pm »
What a great article!
Since my mom has MS, THANK YOU!
I'm so glad you shared the article. I think it inspires other ANers who are nervous about post op difficulties and getting back to normal (esp when it involves physical activity).
Have a great race.
Keri
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 11:08:30 pm by Keri »
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

texsooner

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 12:08:26 pm »
Finished the bike ride with no mishaps. Long story, but the 1st day was canceled because of torrential rains. However, we completed the 2nd leg on Sunday(La Grange to Austin), which was approx 80 miles.  The weather was nice(except for the headwinds). Here are a few photos from the ride:

This is from the start in La Grange(11,000 bike riders still partipated). I'm in the pic(towards the left, #194) showing my best side.

This one is about 20 miles east of Austin(our destination) with me and my biking buddy following. I try not to let too many people pass me, but my buddy screams at me when there are bikers/cars coming up on my left side(since that's my SSD side)

And the final one is about a block from the finish line(at the state capitol in Austin).

My friend and I plan on doing the first leg(Houston to La Grange-85 miles) ourselves either Sat or Sun this weekend(that is if I can convince my wife or son to come get us in La Grange)...don't think I could do the roundtrip 170 miles on the bike in 1 day. Thanks for the support

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 12:14:14 pm »
Patrick~
Awesome - thanks for sharing!!  You ROCK - so proud of you!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

LADavid

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 12:57:50 pm »
Hey Patrick -- Very cool!  And great shots.  What an incredible feat -- for anyone -- but especially so soon after surgery.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 01:02:14 pm »
Patrick!

Very cool shots and a very big Texas thank you from an MS person.  It is because of people like you that someday they will find a cure for MS.

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 01:05:00 pm »
Hey, Patrick.
My brother's a cyclist in Austin.  He's in some kind of league where they compete with venom for the most miles logged.  Lives near Lake Travis where he sails competitively as well.  Downright competitive guy!  Did you see those bats?  He's a photographer as well and sends photos of local events.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 01:21:08 pm »
Awesome accomplishment!  You look a little tired in that last picture :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 04:22:00 pm »
Patrick:

Thanks for the race update and the photos.  You look quite fit for a guy who's had brain surgery!    :)  Good job!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keri

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 08:18:32 pm »
Great photos! I wish you well on completing the 'other half' of the race, however you get up there. Hope the weather's not monsooning.
Thanks for doing this and thanks for sharing it with us!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 08:28:03 pm »
Nancy~
When we lived in Austin, we used to love to take out ot towners to go see the bats downtown.  Little did we know that right down the street, in Round Rock (where we actually lived, but it was a suburb), that they were in an overpass there!!  Good memories(except that is where we lived when I had the whole AN saga)...we LOVED living in Austin so much - miss it!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

waypoint

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 10:02:29 pm »
Congrats on the ride. I've ridden that many times many moons ago. I think the first time was 1987 for me and the last was in 1995. You give me inspiration to know that we can still do it even after AN.  I was afraid they were going to cancel the whole event b/c of the rain. Great photos. In that first one at La Grange, there a co worker of my on Team Spectra Energy, but I can't make out who it was. Good Job on the ride.
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months