Author Topic: vision changes  (Read 2870 times)

LisaK

vision changes
« on: February 26, 2006, 11:59:20 am »
I was diagnosed one month ago with AN after a sudden violent onset of Vertigo, for which I was hospitalized. it is very small but my vestibular problems continue, and I have noticed that my eye on that side has changed in both close and distance vision. has anyone else experienced anything like this,  it is quite annoying and makes the vestibular issues worse, but I don't understand how the AN could be affecting my actual vision. thanks!

Mark H

Re: vision changes
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 12:28:48 pm »
I'm pretty new at this too. I've got what they are calling possible bilateral acoustic neuromas, both real small. About 2mm each. I've had balance problems ant tinnitus in both ears for years. I was diagnosed with NF1 years ago. A few years ago I had a cataract removed from my right eye, I think I was 49 then, which is pretty young for cataracts. So now my right eye sees real well at a distance, but not up close. I can just about read the monitor with it. My left eye is great up close but not at a distance. That took a while to get used to, but I'm pretty comfortable with it now.   ;D
Mark

gemaste

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 07:20:37 pm »
i also had some vision changes esp. on my AN  side after surgery.  I also thought it was not AN rrelalted.  I am very interested if this is relatted. 
Hope we get more info. Glenn

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 10:16:15 pm »
I've had a lot of vision problems since surgery and was told it was an related due to the compression of the nerves.  I just wish it would all just go away  lol ;D

DeniseSmith

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 07:31:58 am »
I am now wearing glasses, was not prior to my surgery.   My left eye is always blurry and has been since my surgery, it it has slowly improved, but will never be normal again.   My left eye is also crossed slightly, you cannot tell by looking at me but when I use both my eyes I have double vision. If I cover my left eye, my right eye is totally clear and my sight is good. Cover my right eye and everything is blurry. Look with both eyes and everything has a shadow.  My eye dr. is in the process of fitting me for prisms, which should help correct my vision problems. But not without the help of glasses. It sucks, but what can you do?

I am not too happy about wearing glasses, but thats life!!

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 12:06:19 pm »
LisaK,
  I woundn't think that your AN would affect the optic nerves (retina to brain), unless the An was large enough to press on the optic nerves.  However, an AN can affect the trigeminal nerve.  AN treatment can affect trigeminal functions, hopefully temporarily.  Trigeminal impairment can affect tearing, blinking, facial movement, etc., on the AN side.  Along with vestibular affects, trigeminal involvement might be able to affect visual focusing.
  I'm not a Dr., so I'm not up on how these various nerves work together in concert for vision.  Ask your Dr if they feel the AN could affect your vision as you describe.    At the very least, make sure your Dr knows all your symptoms.
 Good Luck,
   Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW