Author Topic: Does Tinniitis effect your hearing test?  (Read 2080 times)

Darlene

Does Tinniitis effect your hearing test?
« on: April 09, 2009, 03:56:53 pm »
I recently have had some ringing in my ear  (it comes and goes) and have noticed some hearing loss.  I went for a retest of my hearing and there was some additonal loss but it was kind of funny and the ENT said it didn't make sense and he wanted to see me in three months for a follow up.  My AN has remained stable on my last MRI done in the  begining of March.

I was hoping someone could give me an idea if this is normal for AN or could it be from the occasional ringing? 

Hearing test in DEC 08

Right ear between 10 - 20 db
Left ear 250- 40db
           1000- 10-20db
           3000- 8000- 30db

March 2009
Right ear 0-20db except 8000 30db
Left ear 250-50db
            1000- 20db
             4000-40db
            8000-60-70db

I should note my first test was done by the hospital Audiologist the second by the audiologist in the ENT office
Thanks for any input. 

Darlene

DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

lholl36233

Re: Does Tinniitis effect your hearing test?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 02:49:51 am »
I don't think Tinnitus affects your hearing test.  After a round of prednisone, the hearing returned to 100% at the follow up hearing test in my affected left ear.   (It was nice but it didn't last.) The audiologist said I was raising my hand when there wasn't any noise because of the tinnitus but I still tested at 100%.
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

Darlene

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 10:17:07 am »
Thanks!  I didn't know if l was just missing sounds because of the ringing and that is why my hearing got worse.  Knowing it didn't effect your test helps alot.

I guess I have to start looking at doing something about my AN if I want to save the rest of my hearing.  I really do admire people on this site that know they want to do something and get it done.   I am truly a procrastinator.   

Thanks again,
Darlene
DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 06:31:36 am »
I have fairly severe tinnitus in both ears. It's difficult to say if it affects my hearing test or not. It definitely affects my real, out in the world hearing. If it's quiet and I'm trying to locate a small noise..it's almost impossible due to the tinnitus masking the source of the sound.

One way my tinnitus does affect me at hearing test time.. that period of time when you are in that booth, before the test actually starts...it's very quiet, which is the time that the self-generated noise seems the loudest.

..take care.. tim b
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi