Author Topic: 'Notes' article on surgery + radiation for large ANs  (Read 2391 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
'Notes' article on surgery + radiation for large ANs
« on: March 20, 2009, 03:18:44 pm »
I received my new (March) issue of the ANA newsletter 'Notes' today.  I read it with great interest, as always, and wanted to alert other ANA members to the front-page article, entitled: 'Subtotal Tumor Resection Followed by Stereotactic Raidiosurgery' authored by Dr. Michael Link. a Professor of Neurologic Surgery and Otorhinolaryngology (I dare anyone to say that word 3 times, fast) at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. 

I was especially interested in Dr. Link's commentary on this procedure because this is exactly what I underwent in 2006.  A partial ('subtotal) removal ('resection') of my 4.5 cm AN, followed - 3 months later - by 26 FSR treatments.  This has been successful in my case.  Not only did my rather severe pre-op symptoms disappear immediately following the surgery but I suffered no real post-operative complications and recovered quickly.  The radiation sessions were uneventful.  My last MRI indicated the remaining tumor was experiencing necrosis (dying) and had shrunk, slightly.  This is good.  :)

Dr. Link makes the understandable point that this approach is not valid for every AN patient .  He closes the article by making the clear statement that this approach is something that needs to be decided between the patient and his or her surgeon, depending on the realistic goals for the treatment.  This was how my neurosurgeon presented it to me, considering the size and location of my AN.  I was a healthy age 63 at the time of my diagnosis.  Unfortunately, the tumor was pressing hard on my brainstem and my symptoms were getting worse every week.  Although I readily acquiesced to surgery, I was emphatic about doing everything possible to avoid facial nerve damage.  My doctor assured me that he considered this two-step approach the best way to deal with my AN.  I agreed.  I'm pleased to report that all went well.  On my last follow-up visit with my neurosurgeon, he commented that I had met every single one of 'our' goals.  He scheduled my next MRI for one year later, a sure sign that I'm doing well because this gifted neurosurgeon is extremely conservative in his approach to acoustic neuromas and leaves absolutely nothing to chance. 

I urge those who are ANA members and receive the newsletter to read Dr. Link's article, which will likely enlighten many on the methodology and rationale for employing the surgery + radiation approach to some AN patients.  It will be time well spent. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

joe94121

Re: 'Notes' article on surgery + radiation for large ANs
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 12:17:32 pm »
It is a timely article for me since I am in the process of choosing a clinic to get radiation treatment for my remaining tumor. My recent MRI shows a "bulkier" tumor after my 12/06 surgery to remove 2/3 of my 3 cm. tumor. Lately, I have experiencing dizziness and some headaches, so I went in two months early for my annual MRI.

I am deciding between Stanford and UC San Francisco. Does anyone have good / bad experiences with either / both of them?

Five years of progressive loss of hearing in left ear; diagnosed with a 3 cm. AN tumor; had surgery on in 12/06 to remove 2/3 of it. Recent MRI shows "bulkness" on the remaining 1/3 ... will be seeking radiation treatments on the remaining 1/3 in May 2009.