Author Topic: Finally approved!  (Read 2070 times)

Sefra22

Finally approved!
« on: March 31, 2009, 07:25:27 pm »
I just got the letter from my insurance company today that the BAHA is covered! I am soooo happy!

I really needed some good news since I had to put down my beloved pet rabbit, Babette a few days ago. Poor little thing had a brain tumor.
Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

lori67

Re: Finally approved!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 08:09:09 pm »
Lisa,

I was just thinking about you yesterday, wondering if you'd heard anything about your BAHA yet.  What great news!

And I'm so sorry about your rabbit.   :'(  I had one when I was growing up and I was so upset when he died.  I don't think people realize what nice pets they make.  But now Babette can hop around in bunny heaven with Killer. (he was named after the white rabbit on Monty Python and the Holy Grail.)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 06:12:06 am »
Lisa,

Congratulations on getting approval for BAHA -- very exciting news!  I'm sorry to hear about Babbette too.  Ironic that she had a brain tumor.  I had a rabbit when I was in my teens named Peter (how unoriginial can you get?) and just loved him and so did my dog.  It was fun to see them hop around together, they were best friends and just adorable.  I'm sure Babbette is hopping around with Killer, Peter and other friends, but I'm so sorry for your loss, I know you'll miss her.

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 07:55:53 am »
That is great news!  I have to appeal BCBS of MA's rejection of my desire for coverage, but that'll wait until post-op.  Any advice appreciated.
Last night I was driving home, and a snowshoe hare hopped across the road in front of me and over the snowbank.   So beautiful!  Then Dave was behind me and saw a fox running down the road.  Hope they didn't meet up!
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 05:56:47 am »
Congratulations, Lisa.  Get that BAHA Recovery Kit ready to be shipped, Lori  ;D

It's been over a year now, but I still remember the day my insurance company approved my BAHA like it was yesterday  ;D

I'm sorry to hear about your rabbit; very ironic about the brain tumor.  I remember that Sam Rush's dog had (has?) a brain tumor also.  Strange.

Nancy -

some advice on your insurance request.   Make sure you educate BCBS on just what a BAHA is and why you need one.  I found that my insurance company had no idea what a BAHA even was.  Lots of information from your doc - including why a BAHA is relevant for you - will help your case.  Also, don't let BCBS tell you that a BAHA is a hearing aid, and therefore, not covered.  Technically the BAHA is an implant not a hearing aid.  Lastly, find out if your policy covers Cochlear implants.  If it does, make sure you tell them that a BAHA is to unilaterally deafness what a Cochlear is to bilaterally deafness.  They cannot discriminate against you because you are "only SSD" not entirely deaf.

Wendy -  Happy Almost BAHA Gotcha Day!  I'll be thinking about you tomorrow and anxiously awaiting your feedback on your brand new "ear".

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 05:48:22 pm »
Jan,
Cool.
Thx.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 12:26:47 pm »
Lisa:

That's so sad about your bunny. Bunnies are adorable pets.

It's great that your BAHA is covered by insurance. Congrats!!

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.