Author Topic: Just found out I have AN and terrified  (Read 7252 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Just found out I have AN and terrified
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 04:13:49 pm »
Welcome, Tracy ~

I can only echo what all the others have stated so well, your life is not 'over' by any means.  You'll get through this, just as so many others have.  We're here to help in whatever way we possibly can, even if only as a safe place to vent.  I was 63 and underwent surgery, then radiation - and did just fine.  I suspect you will, too, no matter what course you take to address your AN.  Know that the prayers of many will be with you as you travel on this 'journey' and in prayer, we're a powerful force.  :)  I look forward to seeing your future posts.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 10:39:05 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

dmseibert

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 04:15:27 pm »
I found out I had an AN on Feb 13 and since have had surgery and been home from the hospital for 2 weeks. I am doing much better than I expected.I will be 40 in a few weeks.  Your life will change but is definitely not over by any means. I have hearing loss in my left ear and have a few more hurdles to get over but I am very determined. I am not sure of the size of my tumor but doc says about the size of a large egg. I'm sure I will know more when I see him on the 7th. Sounds like your kids are around my kids age. Mine are 17 this week and 20. I have an 8 month old grandson which is one of the reasons I am so determined. You will be fine. Family and friends are a must when you get out of the hospital. If you need anything there is a lot of information on this site. I tried to stay away from the internet before my surgery because I too was terrified.

wendysig

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 09:37:18 pm »
Hi Tracy,

I have to agree with what everyone before me has said.  The AN diagnosis is frightening and confusing.  Research your options, ask any questions both here and of your doctors, get as much information as you need to make an informed decision.  The decision making process was the hardest part of the AN journey for me.  Once I made my decision, everything else seemed a lot easier.  Hang in there, you will get through this.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Tumbleweed

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 09:47:15 pm »
Tracy, it'll get better. I remember also telling my family in the first week or two following my diagnosis that my 'life was over.' What helped me tremendously was doing as much research as possible about my condition and my treatment options. That got me largely past my fear of the unknown. This forum was by far my greatest resource for information and empathy and understanding. We've all been where you are now. We understand. I know it seems like the end of the world to you now, but you will see a brighter day in the near future. I say this not so much because of my own positive experience but because it seems to be the general consensus on this forum. The treatments, although not without risk and (often but not always) side effects, do work 98% of the time.

There will be setbacks, days when you feel low. But trust that every week that passes will bring you closer to being at peace with this and that much closer to choosing and undergoing the treatment that will give you a new lease on life. We are here to help in any way we can.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 10:34:41 pm »
I found out I had an AN on Feb 13 and since have had surgery and been home from the hospital for 2 weeks. I am doing much better than I expected.I will be 40 in a few weeks.  Your life will change but is definitely not over by any means.
Wecome dmseibert,

I see this is your first post.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Hang tough Tracy.  As another forumite said, this is a powerful place, draw strength from it!

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

bambi81

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 09:33:28 pm »
Tracy,

I just had my first MRI done on Wendesday and am waiting for the results.  I have 50% hearing loss in my right ear, along with tinnitus.  I went into the doc (ENT) and expected him to say I have a clogged eustation tube, fix it and call it a day.  Boy was that not what happened, I had two kinds of hearing tests done and he didn't even examine me.  He said that I need to have an MRI, I may have an AN.  I have been a complete mess since those words came out of his mouth.  I know there is something wrong, I can just tell.  I will not be surprised tomorrow when the doc calls and says that I came up positive for an AN.   I, like you can't even imagine someone opening up my skull and digging in my head. Shaving my head, what if the anestisia dosen't work like that one movie; where the guy is under, but his brain still feels everything.  I have never had a major surgery.  How am I going to pay my bills while I am down and out?  I am 27 and I full time student at the University of Kansas (ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!)  and this is just not the time to deal with this.  I have not cared to open a text book since all of this came about, don't even want to leave the house.  I know that that is not the way to go about this and I need to be stronger, but I just can't find that strength.  This forum has really helped me, I see it in a different perspective now. Buit I still don't have the mentality to think about anything else, I have become obsessed with my "possible" AN.

THere is another person on here by the name of Micorsoftfree that is waiiting on her diagnosis MRI.  All three of us need to stick together through this.

Stay Strong,

Whitney

Cheryl R

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 07:46:00 am »
Whitney,  We know how scary this all is.      Depending on your tumor size and location,you may be able to get thru school before even have to do any kind of treatment.      There is also radiation which many do which may be easier to do.                 One reads what people here have gone thru but what many do not see is how  people do well and are just here for a time and off back to the normal life.            There can be some adjustments if one has no hearing on one side.          There are some other possible issues which are ususally temporary.
I was off 2 months as a nurse.        Usually one just feels really tired and not right for maybe 3 weeks or so and then you are able to have just some slower life for more time.      We all vary in how it goes and some are back to full speed soon.   
One does not have to have your whole head shaved.     There is just the small area where the incision is and depending on your hair style it is sometimes covered up with your other hair.     Very important issue to us females.               Hair grows fast so comes back sooner than you would think.
    Talk to us all you need to.    One copes better in time.                    My first surgery was back in 2001 where there was no talk at all that one can be ok and have a normal life again and I was a basket case and sure life was over.       Luckily it was not.             I wish all who are new possible ANers well and we are here for you.                                 Cheryl R

Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 05:51:33 pm »
Welcome Tracy,
You are not alone. Scary stuff eh? Your life is not over. Knowledge is power.
Have you decided what route you may take. There are so many options and it all can be quite overwhelming. Have you requested the pamplets? The monthly newsletter is also very informative.
Ask lots of questions, there are many knowledgeable people on this site. You will find comfort and support and that is what you need right now.
Michelle  :P
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

tsl

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 02:33:48 pm »
Tracy,
Being terrified when you first get the diagnosis is so normal.  As all the wonderful folks on this site have said, you'll be able to get thru this.  We are all here to support you.  If you haven't requested the booklets provided by the ANA, be sure to do so?  The ANA also provides a listing of people with ANs who are willing to talk to others.  The Willing-to-talk (WTT) list is something that Phyl has posted information on this site. You can find this posting under the General Category:  AN issues

Take care.
Theresa
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 02:36:36 pm by tsl »
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 10:44:44 am »
Tracy:

Welcome!! I can only echo what has already been said. It's ok to be terrified and I'm glad you found us. Ask all the questions you want and someone will always chime in with an answer. Get all the opinion it takes to help you reach a decision for treatment. Whether you choose to watch and wait, or choose radiation or surgery, it's a tough decision, but we'll be here to help you along on this journey.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

bpham

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 03:31:36 pm »
Well, when I first diagnosed, I was terrified too, but after a few days, I knew that I had to face it and do something about it.  Life will continue and should be fine after any treatment option that you select.  I'm OK now after the surgery back in Oct 2007 and is living normally with some lifestyle changes, and what happened was the past.  I remembered my doctor who diagnosed me told me that, if you have a brain tumor, this is the one you want and he is right.

You'll be OK for sure with whatever option that you choose.
1cm AN on the left side.  Surgery was on Oct 2007 at HEI.  Currently having issue with it, may be a CFS leak.  Not feeling too well.

suboo73

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 06:45:23 am »
Tracy,  Hi!  Hope you are doing ok today.
My sister and i are both here - i first found out about ANs from her last summer, and then 6 months later i get an AN diagnosis, too.
(In fact - see my signature - my sister is WHY i found out about the AN!) I am grateful to her for the knowledge she gave me.

I am also grateful for the doc who ordered the MRI, since to me, 'knowledge is power.' (I stole that quote from anther Forum member!)
And i am grateful for this Forum!  We are so lucky to read the experiences of those who have 'gone before us.'

I hope you continue to post on the Forum.
Take care and give us an update when you can.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Sincerely,
Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 08:10:06 pm »
Okay, so I'm in WAY late for this.. But, I'll echo much of what has been said before.  Life isn't over, just changed.  Welcome to all of the newly diagnosed (or waiting to be diagnosed).  This group will be here to support you all the way through and beyond.  It's a great place to be..

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2009, 02:30:48 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much about the late post, Pooter.

We haven't heard from Tracy for a while.  Perhaps we did scare him away  :'(

I certainly hope not.

Tracy, are you still with us?
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways