Author Topic: MOTIVATION AND GOOD THOUGHTS!!!  (Read 1938 times)

Vivian B.

MOTIVATION AND GOOD THOUGHTS!!!
« on: March 27, 2009, 06:10:11 pm »
Hello Everybody,

I just wanted to share this with all of you, specially the ones recently diagnosed. A girl at work gave me a book called "The Secret by Rhonda Byrne. I started reading today and it changes the way you think and it will change the way you feel. Try it ,it can only help. I think there might be a movie about it also.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

bambi81

Re: MOTIVATION AND GOOD THOUGHTS!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 06:15:07 pm »
I have read it too!!  That was awhile ago, probably wouldn't hurt to read it again!!!

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 04:41:03 am »
whats it about?
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Keeping Up

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 02:54:56 pm »
Not much of a self-help book, but I think someone else mentioned that book here before - so went to the library this morning (a new routine - I go every Saturday morning with my 3 year old), and reserved a copy.  Not sure how long it will take to get here.

Will share when it does.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 04:07:43 pm »
Vivian ~ I'm moving this thread to the 'open' forum - 'AN Community' - because, although interesting, it has no direct relation to acoustic neuroma.

Let me make it clear that I believe we're all free to follow whatever guide we choose to obtain the things we desire and to enjoy our lives.  However, as a committed Christian, I find 'The Secret' seems to embrace a pantheistic, self-deification philosophy that clashes with Christianity in a way that I cannot accept and that I must comment on, to wit: 

The author pointedly replaces 'God' with 'The Universe' and makes bold statements such as: "You are God in a physical body. You are Spirit in the flesh. You are Eternal Life expressing itself as You. You are a cosmic being. You are all power. You are all wisdom. You are all intelligence. You are perfection. You are magnificence. You are the creator, and you are creating the creation of You on this planet".  (p. 164).  This astonishing declaration is followed by more such human self-deification: The earth turns on its orbit for You. The oceans ebb and flow for You. The birds sing for You. The sun rises and it sets for You. The stars come out for You. Every beautiful thing you see, every wondrous thing you experience, is all there for You. Take a look around. None of it can exist, without You. No matter who you thought you were, now you know the Truth of Who You Really Are. You are the master of the Universe. You are the heir to the kingdom. You are the perfection of Life. And now you know The Secret." (p. 183).  Most Christians would find that assertion blasphemous because it states that 'you', a mortal human being, are equal, if not higher than your creator.  When she's not aggrandizing 'You', the author of 'The Secret' does make some valid points regarding positive, focused thinking and the value of being thankful, but to whom?   Byrne never says, and that's my problem - she seems to place mankind on the same plane with God but never even mentions God or Christ, only 'The Universe', which strikes me as New Age prattle.  Oh, the 'secret' is simply thinking about something (good health, for instance) 'in harmony with it's universal frequency'.  Hmmmm.  I think I've heard (or read) that one, before. 

Please do not take offense at my objection to the premises of this book.  It's only my opinion, nothing more, and I state it as a personal commentary, in no way connected with ANA or my duties as a moderator on this website.  Frankly, I just don't have the time or desire to debate my opinion, much less, argue with friends about my religious beliefs.  If anyone wishes to buy the book, that is certainly their prerogative.  I won't be one of them.  I only commented on it because, as a scripturally-based Christian, I found this book's thesis objectionable, in principle, and felt that I had an obligation to at least state my opinion about it, whether others agree or disagree.  I trust this will be understood and respected.   

If anyone feels they simply must communicate their thoughts regarding my comments here please direct them to me in a PM, as this subject is, at best, on the fringe of being AN-related.  I would appreciate that.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.