Author Topic: Headache after MRI?  (Read 65029 times)

microsoftfree

Headache after MRI?
« on: March 26, 2009, 01:50:28 pm »
I have had a really bad headache ever since the MRI this morning. The thing is, I never have headaches. My ear started hurting during the last MRI scan they did, but it doesn't hurt anymore...just my head. Anybody else do this? Maybe just nerves?

anissa

• My Journey
Re: Headache after MRI?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 01:53:38 pm »
Yeah, I had one and also felt kind of dizzy and nauseous from the dye.  Can you take some Tylenol or Motrin?
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

microsoftfree

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 01:58:50 pm »
That was my next question...what to take. I also was so dizzy, I had to wait a few minutes before I could drive safely and took a meclizine when I got home. The headache came on gradually and I can't take any pain pills(left overs) because I have to drive in a couple of hours.

Yes, maybe the dye...it was the last one they did. Thanks!

Becky

bambi81

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 02:14:17 pm »
I was dizzy too, and a little slow.  I thought it was because I became so relaxed in the tube.  (How, I don't know!!!!)  But it lasted into the night.  I had a headache too, but now I am thinking it is due to stress.  My shoulders are the tightest I have ever felt them.  This is a stress I have never had before, I've never had a huge medical problem.  In fact I just got a pretty good deduction on my health insurance for good health.  Ha, should have known!!  They will be mad when they find out!!!  I am waiting on my results, I had my MRI yesturday.  So, I'll probably know tomorrow.  I am sure they will call at the most convieniant time....while I am at work or when I am about to go to work.  I'll keep everyone updated, you do the same!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 02:24:37 pm »
Becky/Anissa:

I'm certainly not a doctor but to the best of my (admittedly limited) knowledge the radio waves and magnetic field employed by the MRI scanner shouldn't cause headaches.  For what it's worth, I've undergone 7 or 8 MRI scans in the past 3 years, all of them using the contrast agent (gadolinium), and never experienced a headache, later.  The  gadolinium might generate an allergic reaction but I believe this is quite rare and I don't think the reaction would be a headache or dizziness, although, again, I'm not an expert on this subject,  just speculating.  I would have to consider the stress involved both before and after the MRI as a possible contributing factor to a headache, although I'm not sure how stress would generate dizziness, although, immediately after the MRI scan is completed, I usually need a few moments to regain my sense of balance after lying flat and perfectly still for over 40 minutes.  Unless the dizziness and headaches increase in intensity or do not resolve within 24 hours, which would prompt a call to my doctor, I would have to view them as an unpleasant after-effect of a very necessary test. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

microsoftfree

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 02:32:23 pm »
I usually need a few moments to regain my sense of balance after lying flat and perfectly still for over 40 minutes.

Lying on my back, too. I'm leaning to stress. I also have to attend the Wake of a friend later today. Planning on nothing but relaxing this weekend with a container of Blue Bell ice cream!

Becky

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 10:51:20 pm »
i saw Jim's share and tend to agree with him. i had 4 mri's in 3 months. 1 was very uncomfortable, hot , very much louder then others and it was right after my surgery, so headache? oh yeah..............

MRI's fault ??? not likely. other 3 i got a headache from the stress and the noise. and Tylenol/ Advil and a small nap did just fine for me............
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here