Author Topic: Post-surgery taste issues?  (Read 124115 times)

chocolatetruffle

Re: Post-surgery taste issues?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 10:41:34 pm »
hello anissa
my tongue was numb for at least 6 mths and i was also hypersensitive to sugar and salt (food either taste too salty or too sweet).  guess it helped me control my sugar and salt intake, but when my tongue went back to normal i was back to eating potato chips and eh............chocolates  ;D

hope this helps!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 07:16:30 am »
Thought I'd check in again.  I'm not sure when it happened, but my taste seems to be back to normal.  I don't notice any strange metallic tastes anymore.  I'm 4+ weeks post op now.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

joebloggs

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 07:41:08 am »
I haven't noticed any taste issues at all.  I didn't have much of an appetite, but I could still taste what I did eat.  My appetite has come back unfortunately...with great gusto!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 08:05:46 am »
Hi Anissa,
 I had the metal taste before surgery. It started with the right backside of my tongue and moved to the tip of the tongue. I still kept taste on the left side. I still now have the yucky taste, but I think its getting better on the tip of the tongue. For some reason pepper is just horrible for me now. I used it on everything before. Sweets are starting to taste more normal. Watch out waste! ;D

Scarlett
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 09:17:30 am »
I could never lose my taste for pepper!  I use black pepper, crushed red peppers, and even pepper sauces on everything :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

cecile k

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 01:06:57 pm »
I had a metallic taste prior to surgery but it was gone after surgery. Actually, I ate like no tomorrow after I was moved from ICU .... everything tasted so good and I was constantly hungry (b/c of steroids, I think). I actually gained four pounds during my two weeks in hospital :-) for a whopping total of 108 pounds!!! So, you can see why I was very happy to gain, rather than lose, weight!

Cecile

Dusty

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 09:12:48 am »
Hey Anissa,

I am 3+ weeks post surgery and have a slight metallic taste in my mouth.  Nothing I eat has tasted the same as I remember but is slowly improving over time.  Not such a bad thing because I am eating less and have lost 5 pounds.  I am looking forward to a nice steak but am waiting for some more improvement.

Dusty
Diagnosed 6/2008 Right AN 8mmx11mmx12mm
Tinnitus, vertigo & pressure
MRI 1/2009 - AN 14mmx12mmx13mm
Surgery Schedule 3/16/2009 Drs. Antonelli and Lewis
Surgery Completed 3/16/2009 AN removed and accoustic nerve cut.
SSD

Sonja

• Calendar
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 08:10:31 pm »
I am 7 weeks post-op and I have an on and off again slightly salty taste on my right side. I wish food did taste aweful for a few months. I can stand to lose about 30-40 pounds. I was on a regular diet (except for the ice chips in ICU) and could taste food immediately after surgery. Never seem to lose my appetite, not even after brain surgery :).

I am sure your taste will come bacck soon.

Sonja
Symptoms 2005
AN diagnosed January 2007
Watch & Wait until now
Surgery (Translab) scheduled February 18, 2009 HEI (Dr. House, Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Stefan)
No servicable hearing in affected ear

Linda Harper

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 01:53:17 pm »
Anissa,

I am almost six months post op and my taste is just now coming back and I am so delighted and happy to report. I was told there might be measurable improvement at about six months and this is true.  I feel great this past week. My eyes do not tear, I am not as tired as early in the evening and my "tastes" are almost back to normal.

Hope!

Linda
Linda
Age 57
2.55 CM Right AN
Removed 10.15.08
Lost Hearing - No Baja at this time

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2009, 09:14:38 pm »
I had radio-surgery so my mileage varies....immediately after treatment I walked across the street and had  pasta at the Venice Restaurante (you have to say that with an Italian accent)...enough garlic to curl your toes. Even though its just a little pizza joint they make some unbelievable pastas...anyway...the guy serving me keeps looking at me weird...I said to my wife.."how come this guy is staring at me?" She says.."Your face looks like you just came out of a waffle maker" I was very bummed out they wouldn't let me keep my mask from the treatment.

Back to the thread...the pasta was great...and food was fine for about a week then I had the taste of pennies in my mouth all the time for about a month before it finally went away.

Jim...do you think they'll have that on the Oprah show soon? The AN diet...lose weight and have food taste better than ever.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

LOIS

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 12:11:44 am »
Hi Annisa,

Just caught up to this thread.  I'm 8 months post-op retrosig surgery on left side.  Still have a weird taste on the left side.  Cant really describe what kind of taste, just awful.

Lois
Diagnosed 07/08   1.2 x 1.1 cm. left AN Retosigmoid surgery 08/08 with Dr. Bartels  @ Tampa General Hospital

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 02:59:45 pm »
Jim...do you think they'll have that on the Oprah show soon? The AN diet...lose weight and have food taste better than ever?

We could call it the Acoustic Neuroma Diet!  Just develop a large benign tumor on your 8th cranial nerve, endure a profound loss of balance, stabbing pains on the tumor site, fatigue, as well as losing your sense of taste.  Practically stop eating, lose 30+ pounds, then have brain surgery and radiation to attack the tumor and when you're done, lose your inclination to snack and eat big food portions because food now tastes better than ever. 

Well, no, I guess the pain, fatigue, loss of balance, surgery and radiation parts might put some folks off.  However, it did work for me, but as I've told my wife, I would rather have just went on a conventional diet to lose the extra weight.   :D

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.