Author Topic: Post-surgery taste issues?  (Read 124096 times)

anissa

• My Journey
Post-surgery taste issues?
« on: March 24, 2009, 08:44:13 am »
Are they mostly short term or long term?  I have a serious love of sushi and food in general and I'm concerned about this "just-licked-the-ashtray" taste I'm hearing about.  What was your experience?

In the meantime I'm eating sushi at least once a week in case I hate it after this is all over, shhhh don't tell my husband.  Oh, oops, Hi Dear (vossman) :-*
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Re: Post-surgery taste issues?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 09:03:48 am »
Hi Anissa,

I had more of a tinny taste right after surgery.  In fact, right up until a few days ago, I was brushing my teeth like 5 or 6 times a day trying to get rid of that taste.  For the first week, I was up at 2 AM, 4 AM, etc, trying to get rid of that horrible taste.

I'm coming up on 3 weeks post-op this Thursday, and most foods are getting back to normal tasting.  I still have a part of my tongue that is "off".  It's way on the right side, toward the back.  Based on the rate of improvement, I'd say it will be gone in the next couple of weeks and I'll be back to normal taste.

Oh, and while I'm not big on sushi, I do love Sashimi!  I could eat that stuff all day long :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

kenneth_k

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 10:45:05 am »
Hi Anissa.

Taste disorder following surgery is not uncommon. However, I read somewhere (can't remember where - sorry- but it was a PhD report) that up to three months, 80% cases solved, up to six months 95% solved, up to 1 year 98% solved.

My annoying metallic taste had a late onset (3 months post-op) and it is still there at 6 months post-op.

If - I stress if - you get this sideeffect, the odds are clearly in your favor. No need to worry.

Regards, Kenneth

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 11:09:10 am »
Hey there!

I'm almost 3 months post op and I still have a horrible taste in my mouth.  But...the only thing that I've noticed a big taste distortion is with carbonated beverages.  Nasty - so I don't drink them anymore.  Guess that's not such a bad thing!!!  Unfortunately, chocolates, cookies, and breads still taste great and the metallic taste does not deter me from eating way too many of them!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Melissa778

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 12:35:25 pm »
Unfort. I am almost one year post op and still have some taste issues.  But by now I'm pretty used to it.  Certains things just don't taste as good as they used to.....but my waitline appreciates it :)  I'm sure over time it will better itself as it isn't quite as bad as it was when I first came home from the hospital.  Hope yours changes soon for the better as well.

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

Trackman

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 12:40:54 pm »
I had a metal taste in my mouth for about 3 months. It's gone now; however, my eye waters when I eat. Doc says will always be that way.

Mitch

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 01:54:45 pm »
Hey, Anissa!  As you can see, once again, results vary around here ;)  I never had a bad taste in my mouth, just that things didn't really have the right taste, or had no taste.  It didn't last too long, but oddly enough, my favorite (only, really) breakfast item was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or toast.  I have not been able to eat that since surgery.  I keep trying it every few weeks, but it's just not right any more :(  Unfortunately, for my waistline, chocolate is as good as ever :D

Mitch, my Bell's Palsy eye, not my AN eye, waters every time I eat...strangest thing!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kim Zingale

• My AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 04:08:33 pm »
Hi Anissa,

Just thought I'd share my taste experience. Immediately after surgery, I had a metallic taste that stopped me from eating chocolate and Diet Coke. Then about 3 weeks after surgery, I was able to eat them again - chocolate was pretty normal and Diet Coke was ok but not as refreshing as it used to be. Now at 6 weeks after surgery, the metallic taste is back for some reason. It's not affecting what I can eat as much, but it's just lingering...sigh. But overall, I find it hard to finish a carbonated beverage now, be it Diet Coke, Sprite, or beer. Something about the bubbles isn't as tasty as it once was.

Good luck!
Kim
Retrosigmoid surgery Feb. 9, 2009 at Johns Hopkins with Drs. Tamargo and Carey.
http://adventureswithmanny.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 06:20:23 pm »
Anissa~
13 years & unfortunately for my waistline...I eat EVERYTHING, but for all of you newbies - something to look forward to - it doesn't last forever.  No, really, I didn't think I ever had taste issues, but Dave told me I did for a few weeks.  I guess because of the stroke (I guess I was in a pretty bad way), I don't really remember much of the 1st few weeks!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 06:59:25 pm »
I lost all taste after surgery but I thought it was from the long time under anesthesia (about 9 hours). My tongue had big blisters and it felt like my whole mouth was burnt. Now, 2 months later most of my taste ability has returned but it is not quite the same. I think parts of my tongue, the extreme sides, still don't taste food, but  most of my tongue does. Some foods it doesn't make a difference, others it does.  For one thing bread doesn't quite taste the same, I get a mealy taste that does detract from the overall flavor. Same happens with raw carrots and oranges. The mealy taste only seems to be on those areas of my tongue that I mentioned. It does seem to be getting better so I expect (hope) that in time it will return to normal or very close to that.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 01:58:13 pm »
Hey,
I had the metallic taste for a couple of weeks only.  Now, because some of my million taste buds are numb, food has to be really tasty or I use a lot of salt.  Such a small thing really.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 12:03:07 pm »
I had a sensitivity to sweetness right after surgery and then when that subsided, salt. Every now and then, 2yrs. later, food will taste way too salty.

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 01:53:10 pm »
Right now I just feel like my tongue has a big coat of thick paint on it, not much taste getting through.  Hospital food is not good anyway so that doesn't help, ha ha.  I did have a Starbucks mocha though and it was pretty good so I have hope!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 03:20:56 pm »
Hi, Anissa ~

My taste pretty much went away in the six months prior to my surgery and I lost over 30 pounds.  It returned a few days after my surgery and to be honest, my sense of taste was and has remained sharper than ever.  Odd, but welcome.  Oh, and I managed to keep off the lost weight simply because food tastes so good that I really enjoy eating and don't feel the need to stuff myself or eat a lot of snacks and such.  Besides, I like being the same weight I was 35 years ago!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 09:17:32 pm »
My taste was off for 2-3 months. For me, everything just tasted like crap.  :-\ It DID help my weigh at the time and I was looking pretty good. Unfortunately sugar was the first taste that came back and it was so GOOD to have something TASTE the way it was supposed to, that it kind of screwed up my diet of very limited sugar intake (which helped me lose weight and feel much better).

Some food still taste kind of bland to me at times, but overall everything is back to normal.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.