Author Topic: Donnalynn  (Read 3043 times)

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
Donnalynn
« on: March 23, 2009, 11:54:00 am »
Wow, so many memories just came flooding to me as I found your post string about your husband.  Waaay too close to home for me.  In November of this past year, my husband underwent a lobectomy on his right lung to remove a cancerous tumor.  A lifelong non-smoker, you can imagine our surprise to hear that he had lung cancer.  It was soooooo scary to read about it online (doom and gloom with waaaay to high mortality rates).  We made it through though, and he is doing SO well.  In fact, he is currently training to ride the 'Ride to Conquer Cancer' from Vancouver, BC to Seattle, WA this coming summer.

I feel like we're doing your life in reverse!  Just as we got through the stress of his surgery, I was diagnosed with this AN.  In fact, just 2 weeks after finding out that he was doing well and could resume ALL activities (lifting weights, etc), we got hit with my news.  Talk about a kick in the pants.

Just wanted to let you know that I know exactly what you just went through.  In a way, it's a shame I only got diagnosed with my AN and found this board now, as I feel I could have been a positive outcome story for you and your hubby while you were in the midst of your most stressful time!

Take care.  I hope he continues to heal.  Very happy to read the positive outcome.

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Re: Donnalynn
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 11:59:16 am »
Adrienne:

So sorry you've had to go through all that, but glad you got through it and are doing fine now.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 12:28:28 pm »
Adrienne,

Life does seem to knock the wind out of our sails.  I'm so happy your husband is doing well.  Impressive that he is training for the "Ride to Conquer Cancer."  My very best girlfriend is battling lung cancer.  She's been a smoker since she was 12.  It's such a sad situation, her sister died 8 years ago from the same lung cancer.  Her sister never stood a chance to receive treatment, the cancer had spread to her brain. 

I know Donnalynn's husband Jim is going to over come this set back.  With all of the love, support and prayers that are going on around here, our prayers will be answered.

Anne Marie

Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 12:56:24 pm »
Adrienne~
Thanks for posting this - I know that it will be such an encouragement to Donnalynn & Jim!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

GRACE1

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 01:31:13 pm »
Welcome to the club that nobody wants to join.  Your post will be a bright spot for sweet Donnalynn and her famly.

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 03:17:51 pm »
She's been a smoker since she was 12.

Oh my gosh, that makes me want to cry. I have a 13-year-old and an 11-year-old and they are just babes. I can't imagine them smoking.

I pray that all goes well for your friend, Anne Marie. As well as for Jim. And Adrienne, thanks for sharing your story.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

lori67

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 03:27:06 pm »
Adrienne,

I agree with Kay, I know Donnalynn and Jim will be so happy to see your post.  Sounds like you have a strong, resilient family just like she does.

Good luck to your husband on his ride!  I think that's awesome!

And how are YOU doing?  Have you had treatment for your AN?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 04:13:39 pm »
Hi Lori,

Doing OK, thanks for asking.  I'm in the 'going crazy trying to find everything out' phase.  Don't meet the neurosurgeon until April 20th, so I have more questions than answers. 

Trying to keep my good sense of humour through it all.... (or as an acquaintance with an AN told me "my good sense of tumor")

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

LisaP

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 05:00:51 pm »
Hi Adrienne,

Hi and welcome, I can kind of understand what you are going thru.  My brother was dx with a glioblastoma in Sept of 07, he passed away at the age of 49 in Oct of 08.  In March of 08 I was dx with a small AN.  So for most of 2008 I was dealing with my brothers brain tumor and mine.  What a year.  Now in 09 I am still watching and waiting, with my next MRI in Feb of 2010.

Keep in touch, this is a great forum.

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

lori67

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 07:49:00 am »
Well, I hope you'll be able to get a lot of answers here, and probably a lot more questions for when you see the doctor!

Keeping a good sense of "tumor" is the easy part - the sense of "humor" can sometimes be more of a challenge!   ;D  Sounds like your friend has both!!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

mimoore

• Believe!
!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 05:58:33 pm »
Hi Adrienne and Welcome!
Your encouraging words for Donnalynn and Jim are so wonderful.
Now it is time to take care of yourself. You are not alone! We understand.
Knowledge is power.
Hugs Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.