Author Topic: Tonge grasp to fix facial nerve.  (Read 3366 times)

26esperanza

Tonge grasp to fix facial nerve.
« on: March 21, 2009, 10:01:45 pm »
Hi, this is my first time in this forum. Recently in December 9 I had my surgery to remove a 3.5cm accoustic neuroma. The facial nerve was involved into the tumor which cause that part of the facial nerve needed to be cut. The doctor told me he fixed it joining the tonge nerve with the facial nerve. I really dont understand much about this procedure, and I would like that someone help me about it. I have facial paralisis in my left side and 3 months had passed and I have'nt see any improvement. The doctor said that I would get back my facial movements between 6 to 18 months. Someone who have this same situation that could help me? I would like to know also if theraphies with electricity could help improme this or it could be worse? The time the doctor said is real or it can take more time? Please help me.

Esperanza
AN 3.5cm completely removed December 9, 2008. CFS leakage, 2nd surgery neded, performed in December 17, 2008. Total left side hearing loss, and temporary facial paralisis. Tonge grasp needed to fix facial nerve which was cut during surgery.

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Tonge grasp to fix facial nerve.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 06:16:30 am »
Hello Esperanza:   You had a 7/12 nerve graft,   & it does take time before you'll see movement.  I didn't have the nerve graft, but others here have with great results !
Be patient my friend,  it will take time for the nerve to come alive again.
Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Cheryl R

Re: Tonge grasp to fix facial nerve.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 08:05:21 am »
I hada nerve graft done almost 3 yrs ago witha nerve from by the ear grafted into my cut fscial nerve after a facial neuroma.      i was told it would be at least 8 mos before any improvement and that was about right with it improving for quite some time after that but did not get full movement back.   So no decent smile but can do a closed mouth one ok and the face looks ok at rest. 
 Do not use any electrical stimulation.     The muscles are not going to work till the nerve is healed.         Facial muscles are not of a type which atrophies soon.                     I know the waiting is hard.   
             I wish you well and hang in there.            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care