Author Topic: This Week (3/15) in the Tempestuous World of the AN  (Read 6364 times)

LADavid

This Week (3/15) in the Tempestuous World of the AN
« on: March 14, 2009, 06:22:53 pm »
After making it through Caddy Wampus week, we now have a Tempestuous week ahead.  This week's adjective was suggested by Sara (Saralynn14).  Thanks Sara.

Starting off the week on Monday, Dusty, after a pretty long W/W since his diagnosis in July, is having surgery in Shands Hospital in Gaineville, Florida (home of the Gators).  Best wishes for a very successful surgery, Dusty.

Also on Monday, Steve "Can I Make You a Hat" Gerrard is paying the Tube o' Gloom a visit for his 18 month MRI.  Have a clean scan, Steve.

On Tuesday, St Patricks Day, it's possible that PamK from Oklahoma is having her surgery at House.  The date was sort of sketchy.  Well whatever date it is, have a great surgery Pam.

On Wednesday, Steve (Seal) was supposed to have Endoscopic Surgery at the Skull Base Institute.  But it seems United Healthcare is not cooperating.  Apparently, ANs aren't a big deal to them. Keep us posted, Steve.

Also on Wednesday, Scarlett (SML) is having surgery at Massachusetts General in Boston.  Best wishes, Scarlett for a very successful surgery and a great recovery.

And finally on Wednesday, Ernie (EJTampa) is having his two week follow-up visit.  This is funny.  It seems like just like yesterday we were joining you in the Ernie Countdown.  Have a great follow-up, Ernie.

Next, on Thursday, Jo (JoeBloggs) from Australia is celebrating her 32 Birthday.  Happy Birthday, Jo.  I know I saw an update around here someplace that said last week's surgery was successful.  Have a great recovery too.

On Friday, oHIo from Ohio, is having her first year anniversary. Congratulations. I know it's been an up and down year -- may your April visit with your doctor be promising -- especially with the Botox treatments. (For those of you who don't know, that's for synkinesis.)

And finally, on Saturday, Keri (Silver Spring, MD)may be attempting something incredible -- running a Half-Marathon less than two months after her Translab surgery.  That is really amazing, Keri.  Two months after surgery, I (and I am sure a few others) were staggering around with canes.  I know you weren't totally sure whether you would run -- but best wishes for a great run if you do.  Please keep us posted.

And that's it for this week.  Hope everyone has a great one.  Happy St. Patricks Day!

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: This Week (3/15) in the Tempestuous World of the AN
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 06:56:26 pm »
Wow.  After a few fairly slow AN weeks, we've sure got a full agenda.

Best wishes to everyone.

Thanks for the rundown, David.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 07:07:10 pm »
Geez, Louise.  Good luck, All . . . too many to name, but near and dear to my heart, Scarlett who leads where I will follow three weeks hence.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 07:19:46 pm »
Good luck & prayers to all!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

oHIo

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 09:31:23 pm »
Thanks David for the well wishes.  Good luck to all undergoing testing and treatment.  It certainly has been an up and down year for me but I forge ahead convinced that the worst is over and the best is yet to come. 

I still have people tell me that my face looks better every day.  I am symmetrical, but my smile lost a little symmetry with the effects of the Botox.  All in all not bad for someone who left the hospital with a "6" for facial paralysis. 

MRI and follow up visits at the end of the month...all in the same day.  No time to peek at the scans and imagine anything that's not there.  Positive thoughts.

Debbie

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 11:03:17 am »
David -

Thanks as always for the rundown on everyone's upcoming treatments and special events.

Good luck to all having treatment this week.  I look forward to seeing you on the other side.

Happy Birthday Jo!  Wishing you continued good healing too.

Keri -- If you do run in the half marathon (really an incredible undertaking at this stage) I wish you luck -- hope you have a good time!

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 04:22:33 pm »
Thanks as always, David ~

I count 4 surgeries (2 being tentative), an MRI, a Birthday (Jo), a one-year 'anniversary' a 2-week follow-up doctor visit, and a possible half-marathon attempt 2 months post-surgery by Keri.  Wow!  What a busy week.  Naturally, I join everyone else wishing those having surgery the best outcome, a happy 'anniversary' and a very happy birthday as well as a successful half-marathon attempt for the intrepid Keri.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 11:40:40 am »
Best wishes to all, and David, I LOVE the green ink!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

TaraT

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 12:48:23 pm »
Good luck everybody!  Thoughts and prayers sent your way!
1/7/09 2 cm AN diagnosed
3/24/09 Translab surgery
Dr. Chen and Dr. Aziz, AGH, Pittsburgh, PA
SSD right ear
Facial paralysis right side 3/6

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 03:16:14 pm »
The Luck o' the Irish to all who are enterin' the Tempestuous World of bein a Postie and Happy Various Birthdays and Anniversaries!!  Best of Luck as well to our STEVE durin' his adventure in the Tube O' Gloom! I'm sendin' you this guy to entertain you during the event.

I've heard he's loads of fun and will crack up all the staff whilst yer meditating away in the Tube.  Just keep him outta the pharmacy cabinet.

Happy St Patty's Day and Hugs!!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Seal

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 04:38:15 pm »
And being the good Irishman that I am, I am not to thrilled to update the fact that United Healthcare has ruined by St. Pattie's Day party with another denial.  I'm loosing count but we are either on our last one or on our way to law suit or something.     Meanwhile,  I plan to self medicate tonight as a pre-St. Patrick's Day party!    Nothing big -  just an extra glass of viognier or three.     Here's hoping that the third time will be the charm!     On a funny note, before my diagnosis in January, I was all set to join the Loyal Order of Hibernians here locally that also field a really good Irish bag pipe band.    I had to postpone my training on the pipes though this winter until I see this thing through.    Plus, my good ear is so sensitve, I'm not sure I could put up with screeching bagpipes for too long !!!!       Happy St. Patty's Day !!!
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 05:53:05 pm »
Aye!  The screeching bagpipes!  Those be the Highland War Pipes of Scottish variety or the Uilleann pipes of Irish ethnicity?  My son plays the fiormer, my sig o the latter, both brilliantly.
Happy St Paddy's Day to all ye!
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Keri

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 08:58:06 pm »
Thanks everyone for the good wishes on the half marathon! A few weeks ago I didn't know if I'd be able to do it. I think I'll be alright... I ran 11 miles last Saturday (walked some too). This is something I've done a lot of pre-op; it's not like I decided for the New Year 'HEY I think I'll go have translab and then 2 mths later run a half marathon!' Even though I still have to drag myself out the door to run and sign up for a race to even keep the motivation to run, running has been something that has made me feel better when my head's all wonky!

If, or when,  I do cross the finish (even if it takes me a long time walking / running, I'll post a picture of me and my happy, proud 'half' smile (that is getting better)!!

Thank you again for the support!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

sgerrard

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 10:06:11 pm »
Thank you Cap'n Deb, the little Irish guy must have worked, my scan was "unremarkable", as the radiologists like to say. My word recognition is back to pre-treatment, with the hearing level itself down a bit more in the low end and otherwise the same.

So, Keri, I have done all the hard work, I had to lie flat on my back for 45 minutes this morning, and then press a button when I heard a beep. All that is left is to run 13 miles and 192.5 yards. You can do that part. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 10:49:37 pm »
Great news on your tube-o-gloom visit Steve! 
Best wishes to everyone having surgeries this week - Dusty, Pam, and Scarlett!
Steve, I hope you can get things worked out with your insurance. gah!
Happy Anniversary to Steve, Ernie, and oHIo!
Happy Birthday down under to JoeBloggs!
Keri, a half marathon?!  That is quite some New Years resolution  ;)  Good for you for keeping with the running.  I can't wait to see the picture of you crossing the finish line. 
Happy St. Patrick's Day all!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"