Author Topic: New here, surgery next month...and scared!  (Read 7609 times)

DLM4me

New here, surgery next month...and scared!
« on: March 14, 2009, 11:07:15 am »
Hello.  I don't normally register on a forum and immediately start posting new threads, but this is different.  I'm scheduled for surgery in early April and I'm REALLY scared, for a number of reasons.

First, some details.  About 5-6 years ago (in my 40s) I started having inexplicable episodes of losing my balance.  My primary doctor ordered a brain MRI w/contrast, but it showed nothing, so she couldn't explain it.  We plodded along baffled about the balance issues but just basically living with it.  I fell 3 times and broke bones 3 times.  More tests were done along the way but revealed nothing.

Last fall I was losing my balance even more than usual and I started feeling like my right ear was plugged or blocked or something; I was losing hearing in it, and had developed HORRIBLE, continuous, loud tinnitus in that ear.  I was dealing with personal tragedies at the time and couldn't be bothered with seeking care, so I let it go.  In January I finally saw my primary doc (not the same one as before--I've moved since then); she said there was fluid behind my right eardrum and that was causing the problems.  We spent more than a month trying various meds (decongestants, antihistamines) to drain/dry up the fluid.  I finally called and told her there wasn't one iota's improvement.  She then sent me to an ENT.

I went in to see him thinking that WORST CASE SCENARIO I might need minor surgery for tubes to drain the fluid.  But after he and his associate both examined me and did extensive testing, they not only found no fluid but also could see no obvious explanation for my symptoms.  Another brain MRI w/contrast was ordered.  I had it on a Friday; the ENT called me on Monday with the news: I have an acoustic neuroma and it needs to come out soon.  He sent me to House Ear Institute in L.A. where I saw Dr Brackmann and one of his associates.  After reviewing the films and report, they completely agreed with the radiologist and the ENT.  We discussed options and because of its size, location, and involvement with surrounding nerves, the only feasible option for me is surgery to remove the tumor.

So here we are!  We agreed on early April to allow time for family members to make travel arrangements and organize things at work.

Right now, it's looking like they're leaning toward translabyrinthine but I want to ATTEMPT to preserve whatever hearing I may still have in that ear, so I'm hoping for middle fossa.  I'm seeing the internist who'll be on my case on March 30 for a physical and lab work, then I'll meet with Dr Brackmann and the neurosurgeon for a final pre-op visit the day before surgery.

Aside from this being brain surgery, which is frightening enough!, I'm really worried about the aftermath.  Specifically, since the dizziness is already AWFUL (I basically spend my day lying down now), and I know they're going to remove the vestibular nerve on the right, I can't even imagine what it's going to be like post-op.  They're saying that the left side will eventually learn to compensate and I'll relearn how to balance, but in the meantime...what?  I've already fallen and broken bones three times; I am NOT looking forward to more falls.

Sorry for the ungodly length of this post!  I'm very worried and I guess I just need some reassurance from people who've been there. What was it like relearning how to balance?  What about preservation of hearing?  Is it OKAY to tell the doctors which approach I prefer?!  (If middle fossa isn't feasible, of course I wouldn't insist on it.)

Middle fossa craniotomy 04/08/09, Drs Brackmann, Schwartz, et al, St Vincent/HEI in Los Angeles.

sgerrard

Re: New here, surgery next month...and scared!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 11:16:17 am »
Well Hello,

Sounds like you have an acoustic neuroma. Welcome to the club.  :)

If they are saying it needs to come out soon, it may be too big for middle fossa. Do you know what size it is? I think middle fossa is usually limited to 2cm (20mm) or smaller.

When they take out the balance nerve on one side, most patients adapt within a month or two. It is actually easier for the brain to make sense of one good signal, rather than one good one and one scrambled one, so hopefully it will not be a long term problem.

The main thing is that these tumors are benign and treatable, and you will get through it all fine. Things may be a little different afterwards, but you will still have lots of living left to do.

Take a deep breath and relax a little. You've got AN friends now. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

DLM4me

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 11:23:34 am »
Thanks, Steve. :)

The neuroma is only 4x12mm as of the MRI two weeks ago, so middle fossa is still a possibility.  The deciding factor will be whether it can be completely removed via that approach.

Middle fossa craniotomy 04/08/09, Drs Brackmann, Schwartz, et al, St Vincent/HEI in Los Angeles.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 11:46:27 am »
4X12 mm isn't that large, and a bit smaller than mine when I had retrosigmoid.  I noticed you didn't mention radiation, but that could be because of the balance issues you are having.  Probably best to remove the nerve than leave it mis-firing.  Others can help you with radiation outcomes when it comes to balance.

I am wondering why they didn't recommend retrosigmoid approach to try to save the hearing though.  It's probably only a 50/50 proposition, and in my case, the tumor was just to sticky to save the nerve.  I'm no quite two weeks post op yet, so no telling how I'll adapt to being SSD (single side deaf), but so far I'm ok.

I didn't have the balance issues pre-surgery, but have some now as my brain adapts to using just one side.  I have not fallen though, so I have to side with Steve in saying it's better to have the brain concentrating on one good signal than receiving false signals from a misfiring one.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

suboo73

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 01:23:58 pm »
Hi DLM4me, 

I would like to say Welcome to the forum!  I have never posted on any other forum either, but please know that this is THE PLACE to be!  ;) 
There are SO MANY WONDERFUL FOLKS here with so much information!
I am sorry you had to join the the AN 'club.'  But you are among friends, most who can say 'been there done that.'

For me, i am still in W & W mode - i don't have any advice about surgery, balance issues, etc.  BUT THERE ARE MANY HERE THAT DO.
For example - One forumite, Helene (aka Catlover), is from Sweden.  If i understand correctly, they always cut the balance nerve in that country, after the surgeon gives a shot to 'kill' the nerve.  She does exercises for learning the new 'balance,' as i'm sure many others here do too!

There is alot of information here, but it hard to absorb all at once --  Try to take breaks when you can, ok?

Looks like your AN is small - there are those here that will say 'small but mighty.'  In my surgery consult at Hopkins, the surgeon urged me to do something soon since it my AN is smaller.  Sounds like you are taking action promptly - a positive attitude, despite the challenges.

I am so glad your family members are coming to help you.  My family, including me, helped my younger sister thru 3 hip replacement surgeries.

My thoughts and prayers are with you in this journey.

Sincerely,
Sue
PS  Keep posting - we are here for you.

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 02:09:24 pm »
DLM4me ~

Although I'm sorry you have an acoustic neuroma to deal with, I want to add my welcome to our little corner of the internet.  As my fellow moderator, Steve ('sgerrard'), stated, you've got AN friends, now.  :)

I try to caution newly diagnosed AN patients that - as much as we all wish it were not so - surgical outcomes (or irradiation outcomes, for that matter) simply cannot be guaranteed and there is no credible template by which to to gauge your (prospective) recovery.  'Ballpark' estimates are the best anyone can do.  Generally, just as Steve stated, it's easier for your brain to compensate and adjust for clear input from one normally-functioning balance nerve than trying to decipher the input from one functioning balance nerve and one malfunctioning balance nerve sending scrambled signals.  To answer your pertinent question regarding the time needed to 're-learn' balance, post-op, "a month or two", again, as Steve stated, is usually the norm - but with the caveat that 'individual results may vary'.  Most post-op AN patients have to do some PT and practice a bit to help their brain re-gain balancing functions but it usually does return.  Using a walker or a cane while you work to rehabilitate your balance is probably a prudent thing to consider and can help you avoid any more falls and broken bones.  Realistically, you may always have some minor balance deficits.  I do, and I had a very successful surgery, plus radiation - and a splendid recovery.  However, my balance is very serviceable and you would never know that I'm operating on one balance nerve.  It's only if I happen to stumble (very rarely) that I may have some difficulty quickly regaining my equilibrium.  Walking backwards is still a minor challenge, but not one that I have to deal with very often.   I consider myself to have about 85% of my former balance function, and that works for me.  :)

As for the preservation of hearing, that's a tough one, too.  Generally, what hearing you have going into the surgery (assuming you don't undergo Translab) is close to what you'll have coming out, but, yet again - that is an estimate based on others experience and cannot be guaranteed.  Realistically, during AN removal surgery there is always some risk of losing all hearing in the AN-affected ear, as your doctor will likely warn you.  Fortunately, there are now specialized bone-anchored hearing aids (BAHA) that can greatly help hearing in those who are SSD (Single-Side Deaf).

Please don't apologize for the length of your post.  Good questions and explanations take more than a few lines and, as a notoriously verbose forum habitué (aka 'forumite') I have no problem with reading slightly longer messages.  I trust this forum will be a resource for you as you go through your 'AN Journey' as we like to call it (well, I do, anyway).   We want to help. :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

JohnnyDiaz

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 03:04:27 pm »
Like everyone else said welcome!!... There are so many of us that have felt the fear associated with this issue. I did not have the balance issues but I did have what I call bad eye twitches where the whole mental picture would jump to the right and left very quickly... I knew that left untreated it would just get worse and after my surgery I have not had 1 incident, thank God!!! I wish I would of posted on this site before my surgery, but honestly I was just afraid...

There are so many wonderful people here that have been through this and are just an encouragement during this difficult time. Now for the great news... I am 5 months post op and feel wonderful.. I actually forget, that I have SSD.  There are so many of us that have crossed that bridge and pretty much back to normal.... So don't let it get to you too down and share your feelings, people here actually care and offer encouraging advice!! Keep us updated!!
Diagnosed 6/08 - 2.5 cm Left AN
9.5hr surgery 10/7/08 w/Dr. Chandler and Dr. Green Baptist Hospital - Jax, Fl
Post Op Complications - Additional Surgeries 10/12 & 10/13
SSD on Left
7 months later I feel great!!!

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 03:28:25 pm »
Hi, DLM4me,

Welcome to this forum! I gather that you live in the L.A. area since you actually went to House in person for a consultation. There are quite a few House "alumni" on this forum -- I'm one, and can assure you that you're going to a wonderful place and will receive top-notch treatment (that being said, I'd like to add that there are many, many excellent AN surgeons and treatment centers throughout the country, and you'll find their satisfied patients on this forum as well).

I live in New Jersey and am delighted that I made the cross-country trek a little over a year ago for my translab procedure at House/St. Vincent's. I would go back there in a heartbeat.

Best wishes as your surgery date approaches!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

DLM4me

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 03:58:56 pm »
Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcomes and thoughtful replies.

Yes, I'm in the L.A. area.  In fact, I was born at St Vincent!  And when I saw the docs at House last week, they told me that the floor they now use for surgery used to be the labor and delivery floor.  When I told my mom that, she really got a kick out of it.  I've gone ABSOLUTELY full circle!

Because of other health issues I've been disabled since 2003.  In 2006, after many years of living in other states, I returned home to California and now have yet another reason to be glad I did, as House seems to be recognized as THE best place for AN treatment.  Funny how things work out sometimes.

One thing I'm wondering about is this: I was told the other day that I have to come in for a pre-op physical and lab work with Dr Stefan, whom I have yet to meet.  What can I expect at that visit?  I'm asking because the TWENTY-TWO PAGE health questionnaire he sent me covers every conceivable body part!  Is it just like heart/lungs/BP plus lab work, or really an actual physical?

They're concerned that because of my other health issues (including severe asthma, difficult to control hypertension, tachycardia, and more) I may not be cleared for surgery.  Um...then what?  I'm BARELY functioning right now because of the dizziness.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.
Grace

LADavid

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 05:20:54 pm »
Hi Grace
I can tell you a little about your pre-op orientation.  I had surgery at House a little over a year ago.  You spend a full day there.  Meeting first (usually) with your head surgeon and the neuro-surgeon.  Then you have lab work done at St Vincents.  Finally, a physical with Dr Stefan.  It's pretty thorough.  They want to make sure that you are in condition to withstand up to 8 hours of surgery and that you have nothing viral that would put your system at risk.

I also wanted you to know that there are several of us former House alum who live here in LA that get together with pre-surgery ANers to give them support and answer questions they may not be finding elsewhere.  If you're interested in meeting with us -- feel free to PM me.  In the meantime, best wishes.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Sonja

• Calendar
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 06:19:40 pm »
Hi Grace:

Welcome to the forum. I had surgery a little over 3 weeks ago at House. My team was Dr. J. House, Dr. Swartz and Dr. Stephan. Like Jerseygirl2 said you are in excellent hands at House. I also traveled to LA from the east coast. I am from Maryland and the trip across country was well worth it.

As David said Dr. Stephan iis through and wants to ensure you can sustain the surgery. He is an excellent internal medicine doctor. Everyone loves him.  You may want to meet with David and the House aluni group before surgery. My husband and I met with David, Nancy and Lanie and they are a great group of folks. I really enjoyed meeting with them and they shared so much. They are kind enough to share their time and experience.

Just a few things that you may want to pick-up for after surgery that was a help to me; refresh tears or other eye drops, stool softener, and lip balm.  ALso drink plenty of water afterwards, you may be dehydrated.

ALso put your surgery date on the AN calender. Wishing you well.

Sonja

Symptoms 2005
AN diagnosed January 2007
Watch & Wait until now
Surgery (Translab) scheduled February 18, 2009 HEI (Dr. House, Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Stefan)
No servicable hearing in affected ear

wendysig

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 07:13:39 pm »
HI Gace and welcome.
I'm sorry to hear you have an acoustic neuroma, but you've  found a great place to come for information and  comfort. 

Regarding your balance issues, generally speaking, the more problems you have before surgery, the fewer you have afterwards because the balance nerve in your other ear has already started to compensate.  It is better to remove the damage nerve instead of it continuing to send wrong messages to your brain.  As for the aftermath of surgery, although everyone's outcome is different and there is no way to be completely certain what your outcome will be many of us have gotten through surgery relatively unschathed   I am SSD but had BAHA surgery in January and am scheduled to start using the processor April 3.  I have high hopes that it will be a huge improvement.  While my balance issues have never been really terrible, I did use a can for a few weeks after surgery.  I still have some minor balance issues but they don't affect me all that much. 

If you haven't done so already, and your surgeons will be using the translabyrinthine approach, I would ask about having BAHA implanted at the same time as your AN surgery. This approach sacrifices your hearing but  offers the best chance for sparing the facial nerve from possible damage --  I know others (jerseygirl2 for example) have had that done at House.  I hope your other medical problems don't prevent AN your surgery.  Please feel free to ask any questions you need to or just vent, we are here to support you however we can.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 07:19:01 pm »
i think Wendy meant "cane" not "can" - but it did give me a chuckle ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 02:33:56 pm »
Hi DLM,
I am another House patient, having had retrosigmoid almost 3 years ago.  You will be in great hands at House, as the physicians are very thorough.  And I agree with you that you are fortunate to be back in the LA area!  We flew to LA from another LA, which is Louisiana!   :D
As you've already read, & in answer to one of your questions, Dr. Stefan's important role is to make sure that you can withstand the surgery well, so that is why you had the questionnaire and the upcoming physical.  You will meet with your other physicians, including your neurosurgeon, and I am sure that you will find them all to be very personable and caring.  Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz were my two main surgeons (can't say enough good about them!), and I met Dr. Brackman when Dr. Friedman brought him to my room to meet me, and he was just delightful, as well.
Balance issues, as you've heard from several people, can be predicted, but are very individualized, at the same time.  My first time to walk after the surgery was surreal, but I quickly made progress with the wonderful p.t.'s help (Lovely "Pinky"!).  Maneuvering stairs was also part of the learning therapy.  You will probably be given some easy exercises to do on your own that will help with mobility.
Regarding the type of surgery you will have, I would like to note that when I arrived at House, my physicians, my husband, and I discussed the pros and cons of two methods of doing my surgery; the surgeons were not "tied" to one method.  Because hearing preservation was high on the charts for me, together we decided on the retrosigmoid method.  And they did preserve most of my pre-op hearing, which is good for low tones, not for high pitched ones.
Know that you are under the care of some of the very best in the AN business!
Wishing the best to you, DLM!  Let us hear from you again!
Kathy

Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

DLM4me

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 03:45:00 pm »
The outpouring of helpful info and support is just amazing...and so very, very welcomed. :)

The more I think about it, the more worried I become that they're not going to clear me for surgery.  As noted in an earlier post, I have several other, serious problems, any ONE of which could disqualify me.  And now all I can think about is, if they won't clear me for surgery, what am I supposed to do?  ???  I'm already just barely functioning due to the dizziness, which has gotten worse and worse over the past 2-3 months.  Even a month ago was "good" compared to now!  (And it sucked.)  So if they don't clear me, what on earth will I do?  I'm only upright now for very brief periods of time; mostly, I'm lying on the couch doing nothing.  (Reading exacerbates the dizziness, as does looking at a computer screen or TV.)

It's a little hard to accept that after 5+ years of dizziness (and its accompanying broken bones!) of unknown origin, I finally have a diagnosis but might not be able to have the one treatment that will get rid of it.  Obviously, I don't want the docs to do anything they feel would [unduly] threaten my health/life, but on the other hand...I don't want to think about NOT being treated.  :o