Author Topic: ANYONE- after surgery still has hearing in their AN ear  (Read 6391 times)

m4guzman

ANYONE- after surgery still has hearing in their AN ear
« on: March 10, 2009, 08:07:51 am »
HI Everyone,

The Doctors have decided that they want to do the "Middle Fossa" method to try to save my hearing.
After reading through alot of this forum, I have not found anyone who states that there hearing was saved.
I know that they give you a 50/50 shot of saving your hearing but I have not seen one post saying "Yes they saved
my hearing.

Is there anyone out there who after surgery still has hearing in their AN ear?

Marybeth
1.5cm on left side MRI 2/2/09
Some hearing loss
Thinking about surgery

Cheryl R

Re: ANYONE- after surgery still has hearing in their AN ear
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 09:11:42 am »
Yes,   I did.        I am deaf on one side and am NF2 and was near deaf on the other and had mid fossa last April.       I did get back my hearing back most of the way so was more than just saving it.     I did not need the cochlear implant we planned on.           I have heard of some who have had it saved and were not NF2.     The gal is not on this forum I think of right off.    House says they save 75-80% of ones they do that the person is NF2 so really want to save some hearing on a side.                    I go to the Univ of Iowa.                 So there can be a chance.
                                            Cheryl R

Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 09:29:43 am »
She hasn't posted much lately, but Desilu (Ann) had a great result from Middle Fossa at House a few years ago:
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6441.msg62207#msg62207

I'm sure there are some others.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 08:27:38 pm »
Also Cathy, aka Dog Lover, had a middle fossa last August and kept her hearing:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8545.msg92904#msg92904

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 09:32:05 pm »
I had retrosigmoid and they saved my hearing, but I think this had to do with where the tumor was located.  Have other issues to deal with though...
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

highlife

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 01:28:52 pm »
I couldn't have a middle fossa approach done because of a nighttime seizure disorder, but found the less invasive method at SBI instead.  Day 7 and I have hearing.  I'm hoping that my tinnitus, which got really quiet the first days after surgery but is kind of loud again, will die down a little.  Subjectively, since I won't be tested for a few months, my hearing now is the same as my hearing before surgery last Wednesday.
Steph
Rt ear AN - 10x6x4mm
dx 9/08
wait

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 01:44:20 pm »
I had retrosigmoid at House (can't say enough good about them!) almost 3 years ago, and yes, they saved most of my pre-op hearing.  Low tones are good; high tones are non-existent.  But knowing that I can get a hearing aid when/if my hearing gets worse is a good thing.   :D
The best to you,
Kathy
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 08:13:00 pm »
I had retrosigmoid approach for my AN one year ago.  Before surgery I had already lost about 20% of my hearing, since surgery I have about 20% hearing remaining.  The good news is that a MicroTech Curve digital hearing aid has been a great boost to that 20% so it is very functional now.  Of course the hearing in that ear will never be "normal" (as in hearing like I had before the AN) again.

Since singing and accompanying have been a major portion of my life's enjoyment, I was devastated with the initial diagnosis.  Although not perfect, I am back singing and accompanying.

Much depends upon the skill of the surgeon and the location of the tumor.  Here's hoping for hearing preservation for you!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 03:47:42 am »
Marybeth,

I had retrosigmoid 18 months ago.  Before surgery I had lost about 30% and after surgery I still have 50% hearing AN ear.  I really only notice the lose when it is really loud and someone speaks to me on that side.  When I'm listening to music on my MP3 player and set the volume AN side then it is to loud for the good side but I still hear in stereo.

Dan in Germany   
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

m4guzman

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 07:46:38 am »
All,

Thanks for your words of encourgement!!!  I love getting all my answers from this forum.
I am scheduled for Mid Fossa on April 27th.  Wish me luck!

Now the countdown begins.........

Marybeth
1.5cm on left side MRI 2/2/09
Some hearing loss
Thinking about surgery

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 08:21:31 am »
Dear Marybeth,
You have our best wishes on your present journey & beyond!  Do let us know about your outcome & progress.  Know that you have many supporters out here!
God bless you on your journey,
Kathy
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 09:44:28 am »
All,

Thanks for your words of encourgement!!!  I love getting all my answers from this forum.
I am scheduled for Mid Fossa on April 27th.  Wish me luck!

Now the countdown begins.........

Marybeth

As an 8 day postie, I can honestly say (in the words of Tom Petty), that "The waiting is the hardest part".  At least it was for me!  So glad to see you have your date set.  Now try to keep your mind on "other" things for a while :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 04:10:25 pm »
MaryBeth:

Congratulations on scheduling your surgery!  The time will fly and soon you'll rid of your AN.  :)

I took the liberty of adding your surgery date to our 'AN Treatment Calendar'   http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d27/04/2009?authenticate=&display=M&style=B   Feel free to edit it as you see fit.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 04:41:35 pm »
Congrats on setting a date for surgery, Marybeth!  I'm confident that the time will move swiftly between now and then, and you will experience an unevetful surgery and swift recovery. 

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

MissMolly

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 09:25:52 am »

Since singing and accompanying have been a major portion of my life's enjoyment, I was devastated with the initial diagnosis.  Although not perfect, I am back singing and accompanying.
[/quote]

I'm so glad to hear of someone else who is a musician/singer in this group.  I have been curious myself as to how much hearing will be lost.  I know that there's a 50/50 chance of losing more hearing so I'm ready to accept losing it.  I'm not ready to lose my singing yet, however.  :'(

Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.