Author Topic: BAHA Implant Problems  (Read 29916 times)

lori67

Re: BAHA Implant Problems
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2009, 07:42:06 pm »
Robin,

Those are beautiful beaches!  I was in Pensacola about 5 weeks after my Translab.  Walking in sand is definitely a good way to challenge your balance - and at least it wouldn't have hurt much if I fell!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Hollanjf

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2017, 10:23:14 pm »
Ive had my BAHA for about 3 years now. I still continue to have skin growth, swelling and bleeding. I get about a week a month without any problems. Any advice. My dr always said its normal. Thanks.

alabamajane

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2017, 11:08:50 am »
Hi  Hollanjf,,
You replied to an older post so I thought I would reply,,,,

I also have a BAHA. I don't have many issues with it until I don't clean the post well. And if I let my hair get "dirty" it seems to cause excess oils to accumulate around it.

I was given a very soft toothbrush to clean the post. As long as I do that ( or often ask my husband to do it and look at it) ,, I don't have any problems. My ENT looked at it once and said there were " small crystals " I think, that the area would push out by itself,, I guess it's a bit of seepage or something,,, I can feel it sometimes with my finger,,, that's all I usually get though.

I have been told "it's normal" too,, I don't get bad infections or anything,, some tenderness occasionally but not bad.
I hope this will improve for you!!

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

viennakid@aol.com

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2018, 05:08:06 pm »
prosessor is hard to snap on.

Use Vaseline around male protrusion for easier work.

viennakid@aol.com

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2018, 12:21:35 pm »
upper skin is growing next to abutment!

Dr  said as long abutment is open to accept  oscillator (Vibrator ) is fine.!

Howeever I get music often   into me  system.

Funny,from where ?

Cochlear audiologist claims to be sick with flu,and  has not been able to   accomote  me at present   Al

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2018, 10:53:25 am »
Swelling and bleeding aren't normal - especially for someone who has had a BAHA for so long.  Swelling and bleeding can be normal during the initial healing, but shouldn't happen this far after your implant procedure.

As for skin growth, some who have it find a longer abutment does the trick. 

Are you using hydrogen peroxide on your site?  If so, stop.  It will cause skin growth.

Another possibility for your "issues" may be that you're being too aggressive in "cleaning" your BAHA site.  Since a lot of us have no feeling in that area because of our AN surgery, you may be over-doing it.  You could be causing it "aggravation" which leads to problems.

Go gentle on the site.  I typically just let mine get clean when I wash my hair daily; I don't do anything "special".  And pat the area dry with a towel; don't rub it. 

If you feel a need to clean the site, use plain water (or distilled water if you want) and shampoo with baby shampoo - it's milder and has less chemicals, dyes, perfumes, etc., than "regular" shampoo.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways