Author Topic: One week to go... time to put the brown underpants on!  (Read 11617 times)

joebloggs

One week to go... time to put the brown underpants on!
« on: March 04, 2009, 12:18:42 am »
Hi All,

I just thought I'd ask all the posties out there for a few last minute tips for relaxing before surgery.  I've been super calm and relaxed pretty much since I found out about the AN but now that I am a week away from my Translab, I think it would be fair to say I am bricking it a little bit!  I seem to be thinking about it a lot lately which isn't ideal... Did anyone have any brilliant tactics for putting it to the back of your mind (so to speak!!).  The countdown has begun!!!

Cheers

JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

sgerrard

Re: One week to go... time to put the brown underpants on!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 12:35:25 am »
Knitting!  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Tamara

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 06:53:44 am »
Hi there -
  I'd recommend putting a lot of fun things in your life if possible.  I had tons of stuff going on with my kids prior to my surgery last summer, and the night before, I went to a ceilidh (celtic jam) and out to dinner with my family.  I truly had so much to do that the surgery day just suddenly appeared out of nowhere, but that was OK.
  It's fine to think about your upcoming day, but if you find you're obsessing, I'd go with diversion.

Best wishes,
Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

suboo73

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 07:36:47 am »
Hi JB!  I will be thinking of you over the next week...  Stay strong, have fun, and 'dance like no one is watching!'

Please - for those of us not familiar with Aussie talk - "brown underpants?" and "bricking it?"
Every time i run into phrases like this, i have to ask my daughter what it means - she spent a semester in Plymouth, England and can usually 'translate' for me.

All my best - you will do great!
Cheerio! (Do they say that in Australia?)

My thoughts, prayers and best wishes to you and your family!
Can't wait to hear from you in 'postie' land!

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 09:00:34 am »
JB -
I'm five weeks away, and like Tamara I will be filling my life with plenty of Irish music concerts and sessiuns.  I'm going to a Berzerkerbeiner cross country ski race and yurt cookout this weekend in the wilderness.  And I'm going to museums in NYC in two weeks.  My mother's 90th is in nine days, so my brother and his wife are flying in from Austin, TX, to surprise her.  My other brother is bicycling across Australia (Tell him Hi!) with is tent and guitar, an annual event, so he'll miss the party.  And I'm painting and cleaning the house and doing anything that requires climbing ladders.
Basically, the plan is to stay busy and enjoy life without being exposed to viruses.  I took a trip to Roatan in January to allow plenty of recovery from any tropical diseases contracted.
Live large!
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 09:54:14 am »
JB:

As previous posts demonstrate, increasing nervousness as Surgery Day draws closer is pretty much the norm. Distracting yourself in whatever way works for you is always effective, whether its doing mundane 'busy' work or partying.  I would suggest doing anything you really like to do (i.e. physically demanding) that you may have to put on hold for awhile, after the surgery.  I also offer our collective support and confidently advise you that 'She'll be right':)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 10:18:40 am »
Well, my diversional tactic pales in comparison to the others already mentioned - but when I get stressed out, I clean.  Needless to say, the week before my surgery was the cleanest my house will ever be.   :D  Would have preferred a trip to Roatan though.

I did go out to dinner with my family and spent extra time just playing with my kids and enjoying them. 

The trick is, find whatever makes you feel better - and do that!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 10:23:07 am »
I'd take Lori's suggestion of cleaning because you will not want to do it for a while aterwards.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

salamander

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 11:30:49 am »
I spent time walking and breathing in the fresh air.  Later, the memories of being outside gave me something to think about when I wanted to focus on something other than reality.

Sally
2.9 cm right side AN;
Retrosigmoid/Sub-occipital surgery 11/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus), facial weakness, dry eye, eye weight, headaches.
Some movement of face at 7 months

lori67

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 06:02:34 pm »
I'd take Lori's suggestion of cleaning because you will not want to do it for a while aterwards.

Syl

It's been 2 years since my surgery.  Should I WANT to clean my house now?  Because I don't really want to.   ::)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

moe

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 08:04:18 pm »
Hi JB,
Pamper yourself big time. Say "I'm worth it.!" We all need to pamper ourselves more. Eat what you want, try to exercise. You may want to do cooking and freeze some for later, if you like to do that kind of thing. It's gonna be OK :) Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

joebloggs

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 06:25:03 am »
Thanks all!

I had one day last week where I sat like a potato in the easy chair all day and did sudoku puzzles all day... really all day, didn't move.  I think it was my head not wanting to face reality and having a little quiet moment!  Since then though I've got back on track and I'm ready for Wednesday I think. I'm in Melbourne now, felt a little teary on the flight leaving my parents behind, it all made it a bit more real, travelling to the inevitable.  Have been cleaning, knitting, paddleboarding and today shopping.  All good!  Tomorrow going paddling again, lunch with old school friends, etc etc... got lots planned to keep me busy.  I just can't wait till it's over now and I have an idea of the issues (if any) I have to face next.  Cross fingers for fabulousness!

JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

joebloggs

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 06:26:27 am »
P.S. To put the brown underpants on means that basically I'm pooing my pants and am prepared by putting brown underpants on first!  It's just a figure of speech... I'm not really pooing myself!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 02:37:48 pm »
P.S. To put the brown underpants on means that basically I'm pooing my pants and am prepared by putting brown underpants on first!  It's just a figure of speech... I'm not really pooing myself!

Well, that's a relief!  :D  Thanks for explaining that amusing Australian idiom for us...and may everything go fabulously from this point right on through to your complete recovery.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

suboo73

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 05:24:15 am »
Thanks for explaining that amusing Australian idiom for us...and may everything go fabulously from this point right on through to your complete recovery.  :)

Jim

JB, 

HI!  Thank you for the explanation! 
I will send 'good vibes' to you all this week.
In the meantime, enjoy the shopping, paddleboarding, etc!

All my best.
Sue
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 05:26:27 am by suboo73 »
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W