Author Topic: CK or Gk hearing results after treatment  (Read 2944 times)

May3

CK or Gk hearing results after treatment
« on: March 03, 2009, 08:54:35 pm »
I have marginally useful hearing in my AN ear and am trying to decide the best route to take for hearing preservation without losing any more decibels.  I have learned that CK usually goes down 10 - 15 decibels.  I do not reallly want to go down that much.  I am wondering if Gk would be more exact for staying on the level where I am.  I am interested in knowing how your hearing was after GK and Ck treatment.  Also, has anyone experienced any facial droop or weakness after treatment?  Thanks to all.  You have been a great resource in my AN journey.

sgerrard

Re: CK or Gk hearing results after treatment
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:23:58 pm »
If I am reading the reports correctly, the official numbers for my left ear go like this.
June 2007 (before treatment)
    Pure Tone Average (PTA) = 46 dB; Speech Recognition Threshold (SRT) = 40 dB; Speech Discrimination = 84%;
March 2008 (after treatment)
    Pure Tone Average (PTA) = 56 dB; Speech Recognition Threshold (SRT) = 55 dB; Speech Discrimination = 76%;

It is not certain how much of that change occurred before or after CK treatment, which was September 2007. It seems to be stable now.

So that's 10 dB in pure tone average, or 15 dB in speech recognition threshold - take your pick. Does that make me average?

I don't think you will see better results for GK compared to CK. Hearing usually fares better if you go in with a higher level of hearing at treatment time. The bigger question is what would happen to your hearing if you watch and wait. All you can do there is judge based on your experience so far.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 01:41:05 pm »
Hi May,

I'm not a stats-kinda-gal but will share my own experience.

I chose fractionated radiation via CK as my #1 goal (for me) was hearing preservation.  Mine was fractionated over 5 days.  At time of treatment, I had some hearing loss, with word recognition at 92-96%.  Approx 6 mos post-CK, there was some tumor swelling going on, thus, I temp lost what you noted, approx 10-15db.  Once the swelling subsided, my hearing remained the same as pre-treatment.

I am now just shy of 3 yrs post-CK.... last hearing test was last month. My hearing has remained the same as pre-CK... I had 96% word recognition with minimal hearing loss.

I know "individual results may vary" as I have heard many that had GK and CK and retained hearing levels.. and some that had CK and GK and lost hearing... I believe the end result depends on the individual.

Hope this helps.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mk

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 03:36:20 pm »
Hi May

Facial droop or weakness are very rare after radiation treatments, at least not many have been reported here. I think there was one case in the forum last fall, of transient weakness that was resolved by steroids. About hearing, usually the level of hearing you have going into treatment is a big contributing factor.

I am almost one year  (11 months) post-GK. I went in with very slight hearing loss (about 10 db) and 100% speech recognition. As far as I can tell my hearing is stable for now (my hearing test is scheduled for next month).

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.