Author Topic: Need support-facial and hearing nerve cut during surgery-facial paralysis  (Read 10760 times)

nancyann

• carpe diem
The 'healthy' chocolate is the one with the most pure cocoa - the dark, dark chocolate that doesn't have sugar added.
I never liked it before AN surgery,  but now,  this is the chocolate I can taste !   (I feel like this AN thing has practically
made a Vegan out of me  (me,  the post HOTDOG QUEEN ! !). 

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

reg

:( hi gang   i too  am new to this site and discussion board, i had surgery in dec 06 (skull based) and was told it was safe for removal    (i know no surgery is safe) and was told by physcians i could return to work in about three weeks that was jan 07 i am totally disabled from my job as an elementary teacher and my life has been turned upside down inside out and ever which way.  i had complications ranging from balance issues, facail numbness, hearing loss, nerve damage, vision problems and others i dont want to think about. some dont feel like the lone ranger moe just take it one day at a time and thank god for this sounding board ihope someone out there can steer me in some kind of direction
4.5 cm retro surgical removal dec 06

Kaybo

Reg~
Hi and welcome to this site!  I am glad that you have found us here.  I am 13 years out from surgery (even though I like to think I am not THAT old - I was only 25 when I had surgery!).  I was an elementary teacher too.  I went back to teaching, even though it was NOT easy (I had a stroke on the operating table) but I stay at home now - well, I wouldn't say I "stay at home" but I don't go out to a job everyday! ;D  I went on to have 3 girlies - I continued to work after the first and then was able to stay home when the 2nd was born.  Now I spend all my time running after them!  If you would like, you can check out our blog (address below or click on world on left) or I'd love to chat with you!  Can you tell us more about yourself and your tumor (size, surgery, etc...)?
Again, WELCOME!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Reg,

There are a few of us teachers who had to make vocational changes since surgery

Here is an old thread you might like to read...
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5313.0

I am now assisting in a high school library after being inspired by "jeff". You just have to "keep moving forward" to find out what your other talents and gifts are.

DHM (AKA formerly "4")
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

mimoore

• Believe!
Maureen I read your last post and honestly wanted to cry... I totally understand! There is strength deep down inside of us sometimes we just have to dig hard to find it. That certainly is some test... okay enough thank you ... we know how strong we are.
Maureen you certainly have had a rough go of it. When you said you returned home to be a single mother I thought your husband had left you and I was thinking "Hey what a crumb" then realized as I read on that he was away - thank god! This is a hard enough journey without adding any other stressors.
Nancyanne and K certainly have the best advice, I just wanted to chime in and say hi, welcome you and hope you feel the love on this forum!
Hugs Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

moe

Thanks Michelle. You look beautiful BTW in your photo :)
I'll keep pluggn along.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

mimoore

• Believe!
Thanks Maureen, it is a good thing it is far away and you can't see my wrinkles.  ::) Saying that I am somewhat happy to see some coming back on my AN side.
Michelle
Believe ;)
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.