Author Topic: Need support-facial and hearing nerve cut during surgery-facial paralysis  (Read 10765 times)

moe

Re: Need support-facial and hearing nerve cut during surgery-facial paralysis
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 11:58:05 pm »
Thanks for all the responses today. WOW! I saw Nancy's T3 before and after photos. And I appreciate the advice about finding the right doctor for the next surgery. I had the 12/7 at UW in Seattle, so very good surgeon (Rubenstein). He said he just didn't see the result around the mouth. There was some movement around the eye. This was the 12 month follow up, so the 18 month follow up, he will make his recommendation. They can do great things at UW, and I think Tricare military insurance will cover it, if it can't be done at Madigan in Tacoma. My facial paralysis is not as bad as Nancy's. I'll maybe post a pic later.
Thanks again for all the feedback. I can tell you all care about each other.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 01:45:44 pm »
We not only care about each other, we care about YOU, Maureen.

Nancy is a WOW, isn't she? If you do a Google search for "facial reanimation surgery" you can find all kinds of pictures like hers. I'm amazed at what can be done surgically. I'm at the point now where I think God and time are going to take care of my paresis, but at the time of surgery I took great comfort in before and after shots.

Take care,
Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 02:21:55 am »
You guys are too much !  We are all heroes & WOWS ! !   DHM - I think it's so nice of you to help out those who don't have computers (I myself am intimidated by them - I didn't get my 1st one until Aug. '06, so I understand how they feel).  Anything we can do to help others is wonderful !

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

moe

I'm enjoying this forum very much and realize what a ride I've been through. I never really had a chance to get support through the whole process and have always wondered, "When do I get my meltdown?" Well, i don't think i'm going to do that but a recap and you'll understand. Bear with me- It was one of those "God you've got to be kidding!" parts of my life.

1. Husband transferred to Bremerton WA Oct 05. I stayed in  Corpus ChristiTX with 3 teens so one could finish h school and another starting college in San Antonio. Had been feeling like doo doo for years. Dizzy, almost dehydrated, just recently noticed left sided hearing loss when using cell phone. Tinnitus x  20 years, after an ear infection. Couple of work ups through the years, but never an MRI. You had to be practically dead to have one, as they were new 10-15 years ago.

I decided to ignore the symptoms for many years while being the supportive wife/mother/nurse/military spouse.

2.Hubby transferred-prompted me to go get that hearing test. Ringing worse.

3. ENT doc -not military did audiogram.  Had MRI because of left sided hearing loss. February 06

4. No word about the MRI. Figured it was OK. Made my own appt with ENT doc -remember I said civilian doc. End of March 06

5.I'm working, doing home health visits. Stop in for my follow up that I scheduled.
  He had not seen the result of the MRI until he slapped it up there on the screen. NO ONE had informed him of a huge AN pressing against this pt's brainstem.

6. I'm sure he just about dropped dead. He said well there's something here and you're gonna need brain surgery. My first response was "Well, no wonder I've been feeling like  doo doo!" I'm using nice words.

7. He called in his staff and gently scolded them about not being informed of this MRI.

8. I was in tears, when I left. They said "Have a nice day."

9. Tried to call my husband in WA. He left cell phone at home. Meanwhile, getting ready for a trip to K.C. for my dad's 80th bday. Got a hold of hubby at 10 pm, told him the news, flew to K.C. for the party. Didn't tell anyone other than 2 sisters. Great party.

10. Got the run around with the surgery. First in San Antonio-Wilford Hall. Great surgeon. Kept putting me off on the date. All those active duty people.
 Finally said July 5th. HELLO I have this huge tumor smashed against my brain stem!!! Can we do it a little sooner????

11. Found a doc in WA at Madigan Army. My hubby is an occupational medicine doc, and just that week signed off a back to work permit for a woman who had an AN removed by the same surgeon I would have. So basically she was my only support during this time. She emailed me on her ordeal, and how she recovered. I thought no big deal. I'm a nurse- just get this thing out. Didn't really think of the ramifications. Too busy.

12.We had coincidentally bought a new home in WA since I would be moving up in 2 years, so I traveled to WA in June 06, kept the 2 older  teens at home who were working. Neighbors were great, sister came for one week. Recovered in beautiful cool WA.

13. Other kid stayed with gparents in Longview, WA.

14. Had surgery June 14 or so. Glad to be alive. Lost 2 pints of blood, due to the bloody nature of the thing. They were amazed I didn't stroke out... (Thanks God).
Hearing/facial nerve cut. Headache from heck for 6 weeks. Went through about 3 bottles of narcs. Finally weened myself off to Tylenol and Motrin.

15. Back  to surgery-Day after surgery decision to stitch the eye shut then and there with a pretty cotton ball thing.

16. Tarssorphy  a couple of weeks later. Home to TX in 6 weeks with tarssorphy to be a single mom with 3 teens. Did GREAT. Hanging in there pluggn along

17.Couple eye surgeries in San Antonio-friend would drive with me, spend the night prior to the surg. Had tarssorphy reversed. What a relief to have my eye open.

18. Another surgery to put the weight in.

19. Dealing with total facial paralysis. No recommendation to do anything except wait and watch.....????? I started my own routine exercises as per a PT I worked with -home health RN. Worked some. Able to drive/think.Brain intact. Thank God for that.

20. Had Vital Stimulation to see if that would help the droop which it did. All on my own of course, but was able to get Tricare to cover it.

21.OKAY almost time to sell the house!This ordeal is over! NOT>>>>>>

Find out Hubby gets to go to Afghanistan for 6 months-just at the time of our son's graduation from highschool and move. I'm still feeling wobbly certain times of the month, but like I said the brain is intact, and I'm only suffering from the deafness/tinnitus. No headache.

Sell the house/graduate the kid/send him to college and the other one back to college.

Our  house sold in one day. (Thanks God). We made a profit (Thanks again, God). I used the proceeds to buy a small place for winter for when we really retire. I'm patting myself on the back.

My brother does the drive from TX to WA in August 07. Hubby back from Afghanistan in Oct 07. Happy home now :) OKay can I have my meltdown yet? JUST now getting on the forum with all this pent up stuff. Would love to write about this in a blog or something or a book, but just don't have the time/energy.

This is the best I can do for now.

Thanks all for listening. I feel better, like this huge weight has been lifted off my shoulder.

I'm patiently waiting to see what the 12/7 surgery will do and then go from there.

Smiles,
Maureen

lori67

Moe,

So what you're saying is the the past few years have been a real walk in the park for you, huh?

My goodness, that's enough to make anyone have a meltdown!  I'm surprised you've been able to put yours off for so long!

It does feel good to talk to people who completely understand what you're talking about and feeling.  Hopefully you can continue to hold off on the meltdown and get by with some venting every now and then!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Moe,
You're doing amazingly well, all things considered.  I think you should set aside time for that meltdown sometime soon.  I feel very bad that you didn't find this group until now--it would have been good support for you.  After reading your last post I was so impressed with the strength and courage it's taken you to get to this point.  You may have come here for support but tonight, you've helped me.  Thanks for that and continued good luck on your journey.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

moe

Lori, I can tell you have a GREAT sense of humor! Yep just another day in the life of a AN military wife. You can relate, huh?
The military has no sympathy. When I had my brain surgery in WA, my husband's boss made him take LEAVE time to be with me/Normally, in my husband's work, you just take the time off. He was my rock. I was so short of breath and weak from the loss of blood. He spoon fed me fried chicken livers and fried onions, which I love!!! I was pretty wiped out, and none of it was from dizziness. No blood transfusions either. Good thing I mentioned something to the anesthesiologist prior to the surgery- I do not want blood transfusion unless I'm gonna die. she said "oh these tumors are never bloody."  Never say never......

And Marci I'm glad I was able to help you (don't know how but I did). I have been told that I am a trooper, I'm everyone's hero, blah blah blah .I come from a large catholic family with many relatives, so they have been a great support-but really don't understand. You guys do!  I sometimes think-I don't want to deal with this every day for the rest of my life -i.e. waking up with squealing in a deaf ear, droopy face, eye, etc.  But I keep plugging along and praying. My favorite prayer is the Prayer of Serenity and I am not even in alcohol rehab. It is such a fitting prayer for all. I do saunas (dry) when I can and have started twice monthly facial massage.

Will keep y'all posted.
Part Texan for life,
Maureen

sgerrard

Maureen,

Make yourself at home, take off your shoes, have a meltdown or vent any time you like. That's what we're here for.  :D

Eyes Wide Shut does not sound like a fun way to recover from a surgery to me. Hopefully things will keep getting better for you.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

moe

Yea, Marcie said I could have a meltdown! I'll just settle for chocolate right now.
Thanks, guy and gals!
Maureen

nancyann

• carpe diem
Moe:   I wanted chocolate so bad today,  so my co-worker opened her draw & took out a chocolate bar called 'Emergency Chocolate.'
She got it at Loehmans,   it was good  chocolate b/c I could taste it ! !   
Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

MAlegant

Basically, chocolate helps everything.  ;D
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

moe

Speaking of chocolate, my indulgence is this chocolate that is good for you. It's call xocai and it is very expensive. Has a very high orac value if any of you have heard of that. Made in Belgium, 60 percent cocoa. You can only order it online. I went to a chocolate party one night, and well, I signed up......Have any of you ever heard of it? I never get sick. I know never say never. There are bugs going around all over the place.
Keep healthy,
Maureen

lori67

Wait, I thought ALL chocolate was good for you?   ;)  At least that's what I tell my husband all the time - it's for medicinal purposes only!

I have heard of that expensive Belgian chocolate, but never tried it.  I'm afraid I'd have to start selling off all my worldly possessions to be able to keep buying it once I become addicted to it.  I'd be in chocolate rehab.   :o

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

And Lori, I would be in chocolate rehab right along with you.  Wonder what the 12 step program would look like?  ;)

lori67

Marci,

I'm not sure, but with me as your sponsor, I don't think we'd make it past the 2nd step!! 

Lori