Author Topic: 2 more questions about 6-week post op progress  (Read 2277 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
2 more questions about 6-week post op progress
« on: February 24, 2009, 07:13:29 pm »
I forgot two more questions after I posted my 6-week update yesterday and I'd love to find out about! 

1.  How long does that awful metallic taste hang around?  That's really getting old!!!

2.  At night (since surgery), I alternate between being boiling hot and freezing cold.  Does anyone else experience that?  Does it go away?  Hormonal? I'm probably close to menopause but not sure (hysterectomy a few years ago, but kept ovaries).

That's it for now, I swear!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

texsooner

Re: 2 more questions about 6-week post op progress
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 07:25:08 pm »
I had a slight metallic taste on the AN side of my tongue around where I also had a spot that was numb. This lasted for about 3 months. Occasionally, I still get that taste briefly, but not that much any more.

On your second question, I didn't experience the hot/cold and will stay away from speculating on this. I don't want to get in trouble, so will defer to the female audience.

Patrick 
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 11:08:43 pm »
Kathy -

metallic mouth (and/or taste buds that are "out of whack") can last anywhere from a few weeks to several months.  Sorry I can't be more specific, but as we like to say "everyone is different".  The good news is, I've never heard anyone say it didn't disappear over time.  When I had it a colleague of mine recommend zinc and I did take it.  I can't honestly say if it had any effect on the issue, or if it caused it to clear up faster, but it's basically harmless so you might want to give it a try.

As for the hot/cold, I didn't have that post op.  Sounds like menopausal symptoms IMO.  I'm only 47, but I've been there, done that at the ripe old age of 34 - yea, I know, lucky me  ::)

Good luck with that,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jwh

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 07:52:12 am »
Kathy,

I'm right behind you in the recovery phase at 4 weeks post op.  I still have the "bitter" taste in my mouth.  I think it's getting a little bit better though. Yes, I absolutely have the hot/cold thing going on!  I've been telling my family that my body can't regulate itself!  Sweater on - sweater off........ and on and on it goes! (P.S. only 35 so probably not hormonal)????  I'm not sure what it is?  Maybe someone else can enlighten us!

Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 07:06:51 pm »
I had the hot/cold thing really bad the first 6 weeks, and then it started getting less and less, and 3 months out I don't remember the last time I had a night sweat.  I was having night sweats so bad that I would have to get up and change clothes.  Since I was still so close to having given birth and had the craziness of re-lactating, I figured it was hormonal, but maybe not.  I'm only 34, btw.  Makes me dread menopause, if that's what I have to look forward to!!!!

Vonda

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 11:07:24 am »
Amen on the menopause thing!  We'll go with the body readjusting, rather than the alternative.  Although, since I'm 48, perhaps Jan may be right about me!!!! 

Thanks to all of you for, once again, giving me some of your insight!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

bdsgurl

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 12:45:17 pm »
i totally have the night sweats too...its crazy, i go to sleep freezing, begging my husband to get as close as possible, and wakeup throughout the night wet with sweat and trying to get away, then as soon as i change clothes, im freezing again....cant wait for that to regulate!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 01:39:19 pm »
You're doing just fine!  I had the metallic taste and it hung around for far too long but it was probably a few weeks.  As for the hot/cold flashes, yes, I had those too, and could only imagine that it was partially getting off the steroids and partially my hormones just trying to figure out what was going on.  All issues resolved with time.  Of course, once menopause hits me I'll at least be prepared.
Be well.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 08:28:32 am »
Kathy,

I had the hot/cold and night sweats thing for a couple of weeks after surgery and wondered too -- don't know why I didn't ask while I was in the hospital.  I thought it might have had something to do with my body getting rid of the anesthesia since this happened after pretty much every operation I've had (unfortunately quite a few for me) but also thought it might be hornomal too since I am going through menopause.  Maybe it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.  If it doesn't get better, I'd check with your gyno and see if its menopause.

Good luck,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!