Author Topic: Facial exercises videos and my personal facial progresses  (Read 7264 times)

dasanti

• Dasanti's story - only in Romanian for the moment
Facial exercises videos and my personal facial progresses
« on: February 20, 2009, 08:17:45 am »
Hello!

I have posted on my blog a series of videos with a 50 year old woman having physiotherapy facial exercises and also with me making these exercises 12 month after my 5,3 cm acoustic neuroma total resection in Germany at the International Neuroscience Institute.

The surgery took 13 hours and was performed by Prof. Fahlbusch (9 hours) for the whole tumor and Prof. Samii (4 hours) only for the facial nerve section of the tumor.

I woke up with facial paralysis as the nerve was thinned by the compression that the tumor was generating over the years. My brainstem was bent and I had IV ventricle compression and a small hydrocephalus.

I had an external drainage mounted and monitored in the ICU for 10 days as the CSF got normal again.

Here is the MRI before the surgery. http://dansantimbreanu.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/before.jpg?w=108

At the 3 MTH postop checkup: http://dansantimbreanu.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/after-3-monhs.jpg?w=108

At the 7 MTH postop checkup: http://dansantimbreanu.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/after-7-mth.jpg?w=108

At this page you candy view my progresses and the facial exercises: http://dansantimbreanu.wordpress.com/video-exercitii-faciale-cum-sa-recuperezi-pareza-faciala

I hope this helps people interested in facial recovery and what type of exercises I have done.

Dan Santimbreanu
AN 4.5cm @ diag time of MRI (6/Dec/07)
AN + 5cm @ time of surgery (26/Feb/08)
Retrosigmoid in Hanover = Germany, by Prof. Dr.h.c. mult. Madjid Samii/Prof. Dr. Rudolf Fahlbusch
SSD post op - right side.
temp. facial paresis post op - facial nerve & function preserved
7mth MRI Sep/08-no tumor :-

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Facial exercises videos and my personal facial progresses
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 08:46:21 am »
Dan,
  Thanks for posting these videos.  Many people will find this very useful.  And congratulations on the sucessful treatment for a large AN.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

dasanti

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 08:52:45 am »
Its my pleasure Rob.

I was a little skeptic at the beginning that I would need only facial exercises to recover. In Romania I did a blog for bran tumors and mainly for AN's. It is a great success as inexperienced surgeons in Romania do more damage than good and people start to understand that for an AN surgery you need plenty of research and patience in making a decision.

I hope I will have more time to get to know all of you on the as I had little time for chatting here because I had to come back to work and prove that I am still the one right for this job.

Wishing everyone a relaxing weekend!

Dan Santimbreanu "Dasanti"
Retrosigmoid in Hanover = Germany, by Prof. Dr.h.c. mult. Madjid Samii/Prof. Dr. Rudolf Fahlbusch

Keri

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 12:47:42 pm »
Thank you, Dan,
It's helpful to actually see someone doing the exercises.
I'm three weeks post op - I had translab. I didn't expect to get facial weakness. It's getting better but it's slow going.
I will work on these exercises!
I wish you the best with your recovery and your job.

Keri
Silver Spring, Maryland
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 04:21:42 pm »
many thanks for that dan/
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 09:03:36 am »
Hi Dan:  I enjoyed this very much,  I started doing the exercises & found I had pain when pushing on the area to the side of my nose - it doesn't hurt anymore - guess I needed to get a kink out !  Even thought I have right sided facial paralysis, I found this very interesting.  Thanks !
Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 09:43:12 am »
Great post Dan! You are progressing very well. It's lots of hard work isn't it? Of course the rewards are worth it.
Hope is a wonderful thing.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 07:20:54 am »
Dan,

These are the same exercises I did in rehab and physical tharapy the first three months after surgery.  My paralysis was 80% better in this time.  I still do the exercises today 18 months Post OP, but probably not as much as I should.  I still can't grin really big, and my eye reflex isn't what it should be, but nobody notices it that didn't know I had a AN. 

Great post, I'm sure alot of people could profit from doing these exercises.

Dan  :) in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 10:04:34 am »
Thanks Dan!

"4" AKA "DHM"

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

epifania74

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 11:32:33 pm »
Thankyou for posting these exercises..I am 2 years post op and am still feeling things..Its coming back slowly but surely..I can only wait pray and exercise...
Tumour size 6 cm.  Operated Feb 2007
Central permanent Tarsorrhaphy  x2 performed Feb 2007 and May 2007
Radiation March 2008
Right facial palsy and total loss of hearing in right ear.

dasanti

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 06:00:44 pm »
Hi guys! Just to follow-up on my facial progress.
Even after 6 years post-op there were zones that were still recovering, so please do not lose hope.

Dasanti