Author Topic: Botox for headaches?????  (Read 3704 times)

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
Botox for headaches?????
« on: February 18, 2009, 09:03:29 pm »
Has anyone heard of or been givien Botox injections in the neck for the brainwrecks??? I was reading somewhere that it will release the tension that builds up in the upper neck muscles from the constant headaches some of us suffer from and can really help. Also it is suppose to last several months.
Anyone tried this???

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Botox for headaches?????
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 10:40:00 pm »
Hey Yooteee!
At the height of my brainwrecks, my neurologist wanted me to try botox at a cost of around $800. My insurance would not pay for it so I had to decline.  The FDA is soon clearing the way for Botox to be used for headaches in this way so peoples insurance will start paying for it.Good luck!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

sher

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 11:46:57 pm »
Hi Patti,
I would love to hear more about the botox for headaches... I was talking to Andrea and we were thinking we should all get together sometime soon. Let me know.
Sher
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 12:03:19 am »
I had Botox injections for headaches. It did help. It did not take away the initial nerve pain but it did help with the muscle contractions that followed. I participated in a study that lasted 18 months. I got injections for free during this period every 3 months. After the study was over,  my insurance paid for it in full.

The combination of Botox injections and Indomethacin worked well. The risk of long term use of Indomethacin prompted me to find another way to treat my headaches.

Janet
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

staypoz

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 01:08:02 pm »
I had Botox,but it didn't help.  I wound up wearing a soft neck brace to support my head.  There doesn't seem to be a one-size-fits-all cure for these headaches, so it may work for you!!

Good luck!

staypoz

pattycake

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 11:34:59 am »
Cconstant headaches since surgery 1 year ago.   Tried Botox for headache last August - treatment worked for me.  But it was not covered by insurance,  $600.  Also the botox is transitory affect that lasted only about 8-9 weeks.   The doctor suggested that a couple treatments - 3 months apart - might stop the headache pattern.   At this date, I am ready to try again .... The Pain doctor has me on Lyrica & Desiprimine.  Very strict about NO OTC pain meds - I suffer rebound headaches -- limited to OTC about 2 x per week.   Am going to a new Headache doc next month - I'll keep you posted.      Bottom line - Botox did work for me - for a specific timeframe.   I find that Gel Cold Pack on my head & neck is my favorite friend ..... wondering whether Heat would also do some good.  Wishing I could give myself & my family a break from this pain pattern.  Good luck ...... this ain't easy is it?
1.7cm x 1.4 - Surgery 3/14/08 - Meningioma
Mass General Hosp - McKenna & Barker - no facial problems
Persistent Headache pain remains